Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-17-2015, 06:15 PM

I've shared my thoughts a bunch of times over the years. I'm excited for all new things. VR is incredibly exciting and something that's hard to tell others about. You really have to experience it.

FPS are amazing. They feel fresh again. It made Doom 3 exciting. And it is merely patched in support. I can't wait to test built from the ground up games.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Huh? Whats with you and randomly picking fights all the time Mid?
LOL. Love the "play dumb" version of weasl.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
I think it will be a lot like iPhone/iPad games - it will be it's own thing that doesn't really need "core" gaming. Similar to how my wife likes Cut the Rope and Bejewled, but will not touch a controller, I think there will be plenty of people who don't identify as "gamers" who will be interested in VR. But that's largely going to depend on the tech getting sleek through multiple hardware revisions. Once it's down to a very thin, lightweight pair of wrap around sunglasses that are wireless, I think the market will grow. There's a lot of people who look at strapping a shoe box to their face and just start laughing. I also think the movie and live sporting events markets will be pretty big. We've already seen gamers who are sports fans salivating over the idea of watching the Super Bowl in VR on the 50 yard line, or cinema nerds being able to lay all the way back in their Laz-Y Boy to watch a 3D film.

I don't think anything will de-rail the "core" games market at this point. There are too many millions of people our age who enjoy core games for that market to ever go away. Just look at the continued success of the AAA market. It may eb and flow over time, but I'm confident there will still be ways for us to shoot dudes in the face ten years from now.
What about in 30 years when we are batteries for intelligent machines?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 PM

So long as the computers keep telling my brain that the steak is juicy and delicious...ignorance is bliss.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Watcher of stances

every time i try Oculus at a convention, it does nothing for me as a "floating screen".
fine as a roller coaster simulator but movement in a 3d world isn't practical

i expect sonys implementation to be about as good as the cheap phone attempts
Old 12-17-2015, 08:56 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
There is definitely Smackdown. I was just very gentle and tender in the delivery. If you need me to be more direct:

HoloLens looks like it sucks when compared to other virtual reality products.
HoloLens has a lot of potential in the non-gaming spaces, but it has to develop better tech and get the clunkiness of the hardware down. I'm still a little peeved that they're calling it HoloLens when it's not actual holography, but then I also don't like seeing those new two-wheeled things referred to as "hover boards," so I just nitpick that way.

Augmented reality however, does have a big future in commercial, educational and other real world spaces. It's got some promise in gaming, but its non-gaming applications far and away are much more exciting and promising.

VR is a better fit for more extreme, escapist entertainment, and it's had a couple of decades to work some of its fundamental kinks out, but it still has a long way to go. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the tech go mainstream, but I still view 2016 as VR's "dawn of cinema" period, in that this is still basically black & white/silent film versus what it can eventually be in a few decade's time.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Huh? Whats with you and randomly picking fights all the time Mid?
Oh you're not gutter?

@James. I don't think hololens is VR, but it should be pretty cool too.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I've shared my thoughts a bunch of times over the years. I'm excited for all new things. VR is incredibly exciting and something that's hard to tell others about. You really have to experience it.

FPS are amazing. They feel fresh again. It made Doom 3 exciting. And it is merely patched in support. I can't wait to test built from the ground up games.
Huh...............
Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
Huh...............
You don't get to play that card.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
Huh...............
He was excited about Natal. I was too. You can find tons of posts that prove it.

Then it turned out to suck. We recognized that reality. That's the difference between a zealot fanboy and a rational elitist. The latter may have fanboyish hopes... but they can recognize reality even when those hopes don't materialize. The zealot, on the other hand, just goes with whatever brand to their own detriment.

---

I haven't tried VR or AR yet. So I can't answer the topic. Certainly if I'm picturing it right, VR is immensely exciting for at least certain genres. Not sure it works for general 3D movement. I'll give it a shot when it's out.