Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
If you can just buy the cosmetic items, loot boxes are garbage! Wait a minute this is no different than horse armor, why aren't they bitiching as loudly about cosmetics now as they did back then.
The items you buy with real money in this game are not cosmetic - they affect game play in a multi-player game. It's shit like more health, more damage, faster cool-down on powers, etc.

Horse armor was cosmetic stuff in a single player game. That's a whole different animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
Also, I am think EA is just doing this to gain back some sales and then in a few months everything that they removed gets added back in.
That's exactly what Microsoft is doing with Forza 7. They have a bunch of microtransaction stuff, but it was "not available at launch" - Basically they figured if they didn't have the gross money sucking shit in the game when reviewers were playing it, they would get a higher Metacritic score. Once the reviews are out and the press has moved on to the next cycle of new games, they turn it on and suck money out of the people who bought the game.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
The items you buy with real money in this game are not cosmetic - they affect game play in a multi-player game. It's shit like more health, more damage, faster cool-down on powers, etc.

Horse armor was cosmetic stuff in a single player game. That's a whole different animal.

That's exactly what Microsoft is doing with Forza 7. They have a bunch of microtransaction stuff, but it was "not available at launch" - Basically they figured if they didn't have the gross money sucking shit in the game when reviewers were playing it, they would get a higher Metacritic score. Once the reviews are out and the press has moved on to the next cycle of new games, they turn it on and suck money out of the people who bought the game.
Oh man that is awful
Old 11-17-2017, 02:38 PM

That all sounds about right.
And I should have worded better, I was equating the horse armor to the cosmetic items not what Battlefront and Shadow of War are doing with loot boxes.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Now I see what you were getting at.

As someone who would never sink money into cosmetics, I look at it befuddled. But if the people who are into that stuff enjoy it, and if the developer makes good money off it, and I still get to enjoy the same game on an even playing field, that feels like a win-win-win.

But straight up pay-to-win microtransactions in a multi-player game is disgusting. The Mass Effect 3 loot box stuff made me very nervous, but was justifiable since it was a wave survival mode, not PVP. This was the next logical step. Black Ops 3 did it, but it seemed like the player base shunned that game pretty hard. I remember hearing within a couple months, Black Ops 2 had a higher player count. I had hoped that would send the message to most publishers.

Leave it up to EA to pull down their pants and take a power-dump right in the punch bowl...
Old 11-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

According to clickhole, EA has changed course: Responding To Controversy: EA Has Announced That ‘Star Wars Battlefront II’ Will Now Allow You To Unlock Legs For Your Character Without Paying Extra
http://www.clickhole.com/article/res...tar-wars--7025

:biggrin:
Old 05-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Seems reasonable...if people wanna pay the money, then who can blame them? Making video games is hard and costs a lot!