Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I don't know this reference. However, I will buy games once under a threshold that limits profit to almost zero. It's easy, honestly, as my interest for these types of games is already zero. I consider Assassin's Creed to be a terrible series with no redeeming qualities. It's just noise. Boring design, poor story, and terrible piece meal DLC... just makes the whole thing easy to ignore.

The likelihood of myself even considering RDR2 as a purchase is almost zero at this point. Which, I like Rockstar, but their parent company is a cancer. They need to separate.

The only actions I can control are my own. What other people do, doesn't concern me. However, I do implore people to consider the ramifications of their continued support for awful practices. I know people say wallet protest don't work...but they do. Look at how MS changed course with the Xbox to make a system that, still, nobody is buying, but is a much better product than originally released.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea...llar-explained
Quote:
The idea, apparently green-lit last autumn, is to include a coupon or redeemable code with every new game which gives the buyer another chunk of content. Without that code, second-hand buyers will have to spend $10 to obtain the missing extras.

as soon as i can't rent games for consoles, it's time for me to move on
Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM

For a lot of single-player games, it was a shitty multi-player mode no one cared about. I seem to remember Warner did that with the Catwoman DLC, and people were pretty disgusted that GameStop cut a backroom deal with Warner to include one of the codes with all used copies of the game. It was Warner's way of extracting more money out of GameStop, but it ultimately fell on the user to take the time to unlock that piece of the game by putting in the code. Dumb.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:06 PM

I don't necessarily mind this - but it means I will be more picky on what I buy from them.

For some games, it works out fine.

I think a good example is the Garden Warfare series. You can play the game and unlock everything by putting time into the game. You can also spend real money to buy things in the game if you don't wish to put time into it - and none of the items you can spend money on really affect game play in any meaningful way. They are mainly cosmetic or unlockable characters.

Many of these games seem to be moving away from the single player component however which makes me stay away. I typically play 90% single player - except for 1st person shooters which I enjoy online.

If they do something like GTA V, where is has a robust single player campaign and all of the fee based gameplay is on the multiplayer side - that is fine with me. I have no interest in GTA online. If however , they decide to remove the single player or scope it down in any way because they main focus is on online - I won't buy it. They did kill the single player expansion for GTA V so they could support GTA online - and I was ok with it because GTA V was a fantastic single player game as it was.

I had 0 interest in For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands (Both Ubi) after buying The Division and realizing that the single player was a hollow shell of a game.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
I don't necessarily mind this - but it means I will be more picky on what I buy from them.

For some games, it works out fine.

I think a good example is the Garden Warfare series. You can play the game and unlock everything by putting time into the game. You can also spend real money to buy things in the game if you don't wish to put time into it - and none of the items you can spend money on really affect game play in any meaningful way. They are mainly cosmetic or unlockable characters.

Many of these games seem to be moving away from the single player component however which makes me stay away. I typically play 90% single player - except for 1st person shooters which I enjoy online.

If they do something like GTA V, where is has a robust single player campaign and all of the fee based gameplay is on the multiplayer side - that is fine with me. I have no interest in GTA online. If however , they decide to remove the single player or scope it down in any way because they main focus is on online - I won't buy it. They did kill the single player expansion for GTA V so they could support GTA online - and I was ok with it because GTA V was a fantastic single player game as it was.

I had 0 interest in For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands (Both Ubi) after buying The Division and realizing that the single player was a hollow shell of a game.

It's about time we heard from PracticalDragon. We haven't heard from him in some time. I missed PracticalDragon
Old 11-10-2017, 12:47 PM

*two thumbs up for PracticalDragon*
Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Hopefully the tools for indie developers can continue to improve and we'll see single player filled more with games made by people who are passionate about them, rather than wage slaves grinding away on something they don't care about because their corporate overlords are yanking the bonus choke-chain.
This is actually the key. When you look at the traditional big multiplat publishers, they're part of what's so boring about this generation. They're just (quite slowly in many cases) churning out rehashes of yesterday's shit with very little innovation, completely safe and uninspiring designs, and DLC schemes ranging from 'okay that sorta sucks' to 'pay to win' type levels of abuse.

The indies (and I'm not typically an indie dev fan) have actually been the main show to me for a few years now. Things like Elite Dangerous, Ark, and PUBG are three of my most memorable titles this generation (and I haven't purchased a single Call of Duty or Ass Creed in several years).
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
This is a terrible trend in gaming, along with those cards in multiplayer. Back to the original point, the speculation is that this is one of the reasons that single player Star Wars game was canned. They wouldn't have an ongoing revenue stream.

But us old gamers are probaly the only people who care about this.
It's honestly a vast majority of the reasoning behind my lack of gaming. It just starts sinking it's teeth into everything and just taints the whole thing.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:41 PM

My rebuttal Practical Dragon is 2K's recent NBA2k18

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Money I have spent on in-game items/microtransactions - $0.00
Money I have spent on DLCs - Minimal. Want a good laugh? Check out a game like Evolve on Steam. Wasn't really a hit game but the DLC is huge. CS:GO is another big one but the game is perfectly functional without buying any extra swag. I won't buy into these type DLCs, but to get more missions and maps, that's a bigger maybe.

I sort of wish they did the add-on expansions for GTA V. For GTA III we saw 2 other games based on the same engine but they were not expansions. For GTA IV we saw Episode From Liberty City, which was pretty cool. I had bought IV release day so EFLC was unlocked for free. Back to GTA V - I will not spend real money to get cyber money. Like PracticalDragon says, spend more time on the game and earn it, and have enjoyment doing so.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
My rebuttal Practical Dragon is 2K's recent NBA2k18
I have no idea what this means.