Sources: Google Is Planning A Game Platform That Could Take On Xbox And PlayStation - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM

I think it's a matter of time before we won't have "hardware." I've said this before and I don't believe I've ever been coy about it. Yes, streaming is the future whether we want it or not. Physical is dying. There will always exist a niche...but it'll be exception, not the rule. That's the conversation happening today.

There was even an article declaring the death of physical games by 2025 or something. It happens in steps and time moves quickly.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 PM

There are already two too many consoles on the market. The last thing we need is another. Doubly so if they are going to try to convince people streaming is the future.
I can't get an acceptable experience streaming my PS4 to my Vita 2 floors away across a home network for some titles. Across the internet? Yeah.....no thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I think it's a matter of time before we won't have "hardware." I've said this before and I don't believe I've ever been coy about it. Yes, streaming is the future whether we want it or not. Physical is dying. There will always exist a niche...but it'll be exception, not the rule. That's the conversation happening today.

There was even an article declaring the death of physical games by 2025 or something. It happens in steps and time moves quickly.
Okay, is it fair to say one of the streaming services needs to establish a foothold in the market to prove the technology is viable before the publishers try to force people down that road?

If so, how many subscribers does a service need to have to get that foothold? 1 million? 5 million? I'm just trying to understand what you would consider the minimum condition for a successfull streaming platform.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:50 AM

I really don't see the console manufacturers giving up the hardware space any time soon. Being blunt, it's just not realistic to expect games to move to streaming only any time in the next decade, maybe even longer. We've just lost net neutrality in the Us, and the idea of a streaming only gaming platform sounds like suicide not just here, but in the global market as well. The infrastructure isn't there to support it yet. I think there's clearly a push to make it an option relatively soon for those that have the means and funds, but hardware is here to stay for quite a bit longer.