Rise of the Tomb Raider "Definitive Edition" coming to PC 1Q 2016... PS4 Holiday 2016 - Page 12 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
I wouldn't do that bet... not with a launch game. But if they were both new games coming out.. you know I'd take that bet!
Escape hatch positioned a little early. Game doesn't come out til next year.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Escape hatch positioned a little early. Game doesn't come out til next year.
What does this mean Ivan?!?!??!??! "escape hatch"... what?

Why would I make a bet on what game will review higher between KI and SF5? A launch game vs a game that comes out next year? I'd make that bet if KI was coming out next year as well.

Have another shot of Saki!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 PM

Sometimes launch games get a bit of a bump in reviews even though they're not really all that good. They get a pass because the pickings are slim.

(See Resistance: Fall of Man or Perfect Dark Zero)

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Sometimes launch games get a bit of a bump in reviews even though they're not really all that good. They get a pass because the pickings are slim.

(See Resistance: Fall of Man or Perfect Dark Zero)
Pretty much this. Standards rise not fall over time.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Halo 2 is terrible.
No. No no no, no. Just... No. After replaying all 4 games back-to-back? No. Hell, I'm playing ODST right now and... No.

Quote:
The engine was way too much for the original Xbox and it meant lower enemy counts and less open levels. This led to a game that ended up being "less" than it's counterpart.
Except it doesn't. Because Halo 2 places greater emphasis on fixing the flaws that Halo: CE had, its narrative fit the scope of the franchise, it tightened up and balanced the shooting, driving and flying mechanics, it also introduces some of the series best setpieces. It brings in the scarabs, it makes better use of the tanks and adds functionality to nearly every aspect of the game-- all of which carried through all subsequent releases.

Quote:
Halo 1 is known because of the fact the level were huge and you can get lost in them. It made the game feel more "alive."
Being huge and getting lost in them? I wouldn't call that a positive thing. Yes, Halo 2's massive levels are far more linear in the way you play them, but I'd say that's a positive argument for Halo 2. Since "getting lost" in Halo 1 isn't really fun when you're in really large, empty spaces. They're far from alive, they are literally empty save for the areas you're supposed to go to.

Sure, it gives the game a sense of scale that's "epic", but that feeling is irrelevant when the rest of the game plays like an average shooter with terrible balance issues and a mediocre second half.

Quote:
Sure, you can argue that it also created moments of pacing issues because of this, but without it, it wouldn't have it's own unique flavor. It would end up being an average game; ie Halo 2.
Halo 2 is far, far from an average game. Is it ugly? Yes. Halo 2 lacks the pacing problems, it lacks the game design problems that Halo: CE has and it adds more than it takes away.

Quote:
Halo 3 corrected a lot of this by injecting back some of Halo's Haloness.
It... It actually doesn't. Halo 3 plays more like Halo 2, it doesn't have the openness of Halo: CE, its "wide open" areas play almost exactly like Halo 2, and not at all like Halo: CE, since these "huge levels" were designed in such a way so as to keep players funneled to story checkpoints, almost like Halo 2. The only difference being vehicles and the setpieces tended to be doubled (you get to fight 2 scarabs instead of 1 now!).

Quote:
Levels were bigger and the enemies more numerous.
Debatable on the "bigger" part.

Quote:
It isn't perfect because of the level Cortana...but overall, it's the best game in the series for representing the idea of Halo and what makes it unique.
Cortana is a single level that, while poorly designed? Points out the overall flaws in Halo 3- all of which can be traced back to Halo: CE.

After balancing, lowering the amount of missions you're forced to directly interact with the flood (and making the majority of those missions Arbiter-based ones, wherein stealth playthroughs are achievable) and balancing weapons to manage both flood and covenant? Halo 3 undoes ALL of the work done in Halo 2.

By unbalancing the flood, adding new, stronger flood-types, making them harder to kill; spawning more of them in a single location and often times giving more of them high-powered weapons. Not only that, but they made the assault rifle the de-facto Halo 3 weapon, after introducing a much more accurate and efficient battle rifle and giving players the option to emulate the AR by dual-wielding SMGs (thankfully the BR and SMG combo is still a choice).

So all the worst parts about Halo 3? Are literally Bungie going back and repeating the mistakes they made with Halo: CE, save for one thing: The big levels aren't a complete mess. And all the best parts about Halo 3? Are Bungie repeating all the best parts about Halo 2, save for one thing: It doesn't have a crap ending.

Quote:
Halo 2 will always be a game that just felt like it was made in a weekend.
After playing 1-4? I'd say Halo 2 feels like it was made by people who learned from every mistake they made previously. Halo: CE feels like it was made by a bunch of amateurs who got lucky. Halo 2 doesn't suffer from the same issues Halo: CE did. It doesn't have the library, it doesn't have poorly designed "huge levels", it doesn't have overpowered enemy types and setpieces involving both enemy types ganging up on you; it allows for better use of stealth gameplay and it brings in a better narrative than its previous entry.

Quote:
The best parts of Halo 2 were the Arbiter levels. It's a shame Bungie backed away from that character for Halo 3. He really did help make that game slightly better. A more interesting character than MC by far.
This is the one thing I wholeheartedly agree on, the Arbiter is a much better character than the Chief, and he isn't just one, big, green-armored cliche whose progress is mired by tired tropes.

The Arbiter is an interesting character, the Chief is just a really neat looking suit of armor that says things every now and then, and when we finally got to see the empty vessel "develop" it was through Bungie and 343 turning Cortana into a constant damsel in distress who ultimately gets "fridged"... yay.

Last edited by Indy_aka_Rex; 07-27-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 PM

I tried to replay Halo 2 like two years ago.

It sucked.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Pretty much this. Standards rise not fall over time.
Ya... exactly why I wouldn't make a bet on SF5 reviewing lower than KI...

Am I missing something? Or is this some kind of myopic troll?!???!??!?!

The standards are already set... SF5 should easily be able to outscore KI a launch game.

Right?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
Ya... exactly why I wouldn't make a bet on SF5 reviewing lower than KI...

Am I missing something? Or is this some kind of myopic troll?!???!??!?!

The standards are already set... SF5 should easily be able to outscore KI a launch game.

Right?
Pretty sure what was said was that KI probably has an inflated score due to being a launch game and would have a lower score outside of that period. Not sure what your angle is other then saying that it's worse because it's a launch game?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Launch games and all the rest of the games have been graded pretty harsh this gen.