The Remastered Edition (AKA cash grab) Thread - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Interesting. Not having read that book, and having an appreciation for dominating characters, I think I'll like the story more than you did.

The way the trophies are setup, I'm just going to blow through this one and move on. I don't feel any urge to spend time replaying it for collectables.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Interesting. Not having read that book, and having an appreciation for dominating characters, I think I'll like the story more than you did.
And power to ya. Still, I don't think you fully understand what I mean when I state "dominating" character. Which, once you complete the game, I think you might get it a bit more...even if you disagree. This isn't like Daniel Planview swallowing the world around him because of his superiority/monstrous desire to dominate. This is more about a man choosing the fate of another without consent.

If the sequel uses this as a point to it's narrative, it could be saved. However, as it stands right now...it destroys the narrative in my eyes. It murks the intent because it is intended to be a story of "salvation" but it's anything but. It's a descent into hell and without remorse. Made even worst because it's under the mask of "righteousness."

It's like Harlon Ellison hating the film, A Boy and his Dog, solely because of the last line in the film. I think it works given the era, but in relation to modern sensibilities? Ellison is correct. That last line solidifies it as trash cinema, and not something more. Even if the elements prior would have you think otherwise. A Boy and His Dog is something of a story about that undeniable bond. The last line just murks that POV because it rips you out of the sentiment and makes it more misogynistic.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:

The way the trophies are setup, I'm just going to blow through this one and move on. I don't feel any urge to spend time replaying it for collectables.
It has one of the worst trophy setups ever.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post

It has one of the worst trophy setups ever.
I looked last night for the first time and I was baffled.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I looked last night for the first time and I was baffled.
I've always been amazed at the mediocrity of the Uncharted trophies, but TLoU took it to a new low. You seriously need to play with a guide in order to get most of the trophies. I had all of 3 when I finished the game.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM

I just got done playing through Trine again. While I didn't do everything (hardcore mode), I had a lot of fun replaying levels to knock out a bunch of them.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

I just picked up the Bioshock collection. This is the second game I will inevitably play on four platforms (360, PS3, PC, PS4).

I know I should be playing the newer games I have sitting on my hard drive, but I'm super excited to put the kids to bed and play an 11 year old game that I've played a hundred times already...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I just picked up the Bioshock collection. This is the second game I will inevitably play on four platforms (360, PS3, PC, PS4).

I know I should be playing the newer games I have sitting on my hard drive, but I'm super excited to put the kids to bed and play an 11 year old game that I've played a hundred times already...

Though I kinda hate BioSock (it's a long story... and I have yet to play Infinite, which I have on PC and look forward to), I know the feeling of the bolded. I am that way with Uncharted 2 and used to be that way with FF7 (until maybe the 10th or so replay). It's like an old, frayed comfy blanket or something. Can always go back to it and always have a great time and also repeatedly point out (to oneself or others) this or that awesome specific thing it did.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM

Infinite was like the best story focused adventure game ever. The story, writing, voice acting, art, presentation, etc. was amazing. Some scenes in the later part of the game were really touching.

As an action game, it was totally vapid. Without the gameplay hook of the big Daddy, or the tight quarters of an under water habitat, it had no identity. It had powers, but they were nearly useless because most of the enemies were so mobile. Guns were the most effective, but boring.

Very strange dichotomy with that one...

P.S. The DLC was great. You need to play both, but the first one is just a setup for the second.