PS4 vs. Xbox One exclusives to date (comprehensive list, updated every 3 months) - Page 237 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Definitely needed some flute playing this E3
Agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
*and Turn 10 announcing they couldnít even be bothered making a Forza Motorsport this year. (I miss Cuco )
Scarlett launch title with ray tracing

Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
xbox game pass PC is pretty cool though
This seems to basically be a PC game rental system; if they put something up on game pass that you want, get a month subscription, beat the game and then you're done until next time. Hard to hate on that.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer1978 View Post
Did you think "The Force Awakens" or "The Last Jedi" were good movies? Not a trick question, just trying to get an understanding of where your tastes are at.
My tastes are cerebral. I like to look beyond the obvious. MGS stories are never what they seem. HK is a postmodern weirdo, and I mean that as a compliment.

TFA was cool. But, frankly, it was no classic. Ultimately JJA doesnít paint amazing Lucas-like visuals, so itís kind of like classic Star Wars but more boring looking and light saber work that feels like a regression from the prequel trilogy, where at least one could count on Jedi and Jedi training. Asking for badass fights. People like to be all deep about it, but half of Star Wars appeal is awesome Jedi shit. Taking out awesome Jedi shit isnít fatal, but youíd better replace it with something awesome. For example Rogue One did that by making it not really a classic Star Wars movie. So things like the lacking crawl and lack of Jedi shit arenít fatal.

TLJ was a very flawed movie, probably still ďgoodĒ objectively speaking, that really shit on some beloved characters and kinda hurt many of the new ones who were promising in TFA ó but itís impossible to tell whether that was actually bad in the end, and we will only know that after IX. Did you know almost exactly the same happened with Empire? People were pissed and hated it until the trilogy was finished later. But it was just middle-movie syndrome. I am guessing TLJ will be at least partially rehabilitated... but nothing can rehab some majorly dumb shots in TLJ. Mary Poppins, the whole Finn plot, Phasmaís apparent continued pointlessness, etc.

Bottom line, I enjoy watching TFA and do so whenever it comes up. I have seen TLJ exactly once.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM

TLJ was Freekin awesome. Iím sorry some people didnít get it. but that doesnít take away from it being a great movie. But hey. Opinions are like assholes. You can only pick your own

But it I only mention Star Wars so I can let you know that Vader Immortal is coming to the Rift next week so Rift owners can finally see what us Quest owners have been loving for the last month.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post

My tastes are cerebral. I like to look beyond the obvious. MGS stories are never what they seem. HK is a postmodern weirdo, and I mean that as a compliment.

TFA was cool. But, frankly, it was no classic. Ultimately JJA doesnít paint amazing Lucas-like visuals, so itís kind of like classic Star Wars but more boring looking and light saber work that feels like a regression from the prequel trilogy, where at least one could count on Jedi and Jedi training. Asking for badass fights. People like to be all deep about it, but half of Star Wars appeal is awesome Jedi shit. Taking out awesome Jedi shit isnít fatal, but youíd better replace it with something awesome. For example Rogue One did that by making it not really a classic Star Wars movie. So things like the lacking crawl and lack of Jedi shit arenít fatal.

TLJ was a very flawed movie, probably still ďgoodĒ objectively speaking, that really shit on some beloved characters and kinda hurt many of the new ones who were promising in TFA ó but itís impossible to tell whether that was actually bad in the end, and we will only know that after IX. Did you know almost exactly the same happened with Empire? People were pissed and hated it until the trilogy was finished later. But it was just middle-movie syndrome. I am guessing TLJ will be at least partially rehabilitated... but nothing can rehab some majorly dumb shots in TLJ. Mary Poppins, the whole Finn plot, Phasmaís apparent continued pointlessness, etc.

Bottom line, I enjoy watching TFA and do so whenever it comes up. I have seen TLJ exactly once.
I actually watched Empire 1st, then Jedi and didn't watch a New Hope until years later. I was too young for a New Hope at the time of its release. I've yet to get tired of those movies. The prequels (while flawed) introduced some really great characters that I was sad to see go, but I really enjoyed their story arcs and their relation to the original trilogy. Maybe not classics, but they definitely have a certain amount of replay for fans of the original trilogy.

At least we agree on TLJ. Well sort of... Perhaps my expectations and standards are just too high, but I absolutely hated those movies, especially TFA. I've tried multiple times to give it a second chance with the hopes that maybe I was missing something, but that movie makes me cringe. To me there's nothing classic about that movie. Every character is disposable and forgettable. I hate even saying that because I think Adam Driver is an incredible actor, but Kylo Ren is a terrible and laughable villain. He might as well have been Rick Moranis from Spaceballs with his juvenile fits and bratty antics. I don't blame JJ Abrams, so much as I blame the story and how little sense it made to me. It was just so divorced from the original trilogies in so many ways. To me it was like watching a millennial reboot of Episode 4, than it was an actual sequel. Kinda like watching Saved By The Bell - The New Class, where there's nothing super bad about the formula for new audiences, but there's nothing great about it either. Maybe you're onto something with episode IX being able to balance the series by tying up some loose ends and give me so closure, but my expectations are extremely low. Hopefully Lando can bring it back.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
TLJ was Freekin awesome. Iím sorry some people didnít get it. but that doesnít take away from it being a great movie. But hey. Opinions are like assholes. You can only pick your own

But it I only mention Star Wars so I can let you know that Vader Immortal is coming to the Rift next week so Rift owners can finally see what us Quest owners have been loving for the last month.
I thought it was better than TFA, but IMO that's not saying much.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 AM

Iím pretty sure Iíve seen Dave defend TPM at one point or another. So. You know.

I love RotS though. Like better-than-RotJ love. Not that itís perfect or anything. But itís just, you know, itís awesome. And iconic, even with all the nerd-hate in its direction because itís a prequel. If it came out without the other 2, people would be falling over themselves naming it one of the best ever. (Reminder of something people tend to forget: unlike 1-2, 3 was a popular AND critical hit.)

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 06-17-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post

two words. ďSpockís BrainĒ. Nothing in Star Wars could ever reach those depths.

*I mean ok........the holiday special......but that introduced Boba Fett so no.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM
HDD Contributor

Well, it probably doesn't matter as much now since the console warring around here is no longer High Stakes Biz, but how do people about the new rumors that the PS5 and next Xbox might actually be on par, or that the PS5 might even have a slight edge, rather than the earlier assumptions that the Xbox was going to be noticeably more powerful?