PS4 vs. Xbox One exclusives to date (comprehensive list, updated every 3 months) - Page 227 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM

From what I was reading the other day, the Epic store will actually raise prices to consumers, because they don't allow Devs to generate keys and sell them to third party re-sellers like Steam does. That means unless Epic makes a deal with Greenmangaming, or Humble store, you won't see cheap prices on games exclusive to the Epic store there.

That really only affects the deal shoppers like me who use isthereanydeal.com. People who buy games on the digital store-front Day 1 won't be impacted, but for the publisher, this means all those copies sold at launch will generate additional revenue.

Last edited by RM; 04-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Sony have confirmed that the current PSVR headset will work on PS5.

https://uploadvr.com/next-playstation-psvr/

Smart move to let owners use what is already a damn good headset and just have it be driven by the more powerful hardware. The limitations of the PSVR have always been that the console hardware is holding it back especially since Sony insist that developers cant make PS4 Pro specific versions of their games (which is the reason the Elite : Dangerous developers keep saying they cant release a VR patch for PS4. )

Although it would be nice to also get a PS5 version with better controllers and features like wireless and inside out tracking.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Sony have confirmed that the current PSVR headset will work on PS5.

https://uploadvr.com/next-playstation-psvr/

Smart move to let owners use what is already a damn good headset and just have it be driven by the more powerful hardware. The limitations of the PSVR have always been that the console hardware is holding it back especially since Sony insist that developers cant make PS4 Pro specific versions of their games (which is the reason the Elite : Dangerous developers keep saying they cant release a VR patch for PS4. )

Although it would be nice to also get a PS5 version with better controllers and features like wireless and inside out tracking.
Don't worry, it will come
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 PM

IMO the biggest issue isnít horsepower (Elite sounds like an outlier from lacking memory and shit). Itís the camera as sensor. Too much wonkiness. Donít get me wrong; they did it just right given those things were already out, and many already had them. But long term they need more robust controls.

It IS robust on minute to minute basis, but the de-calibration is what sucks.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
IMO the biggest issue isnít horsepower (Elite sounds like an outlier from lacking memory and shit). Itís the camera as sensor. Too much wonkiness. Donít get me wrong; they did it just right given those things were already out, and many already had them. But long term they need more robust controls.

It IS robust on minute to minute basis, but the de-calibration is what sucks.
It shows itself with GTSport as well. The VR mode has gotten a little better but you are still limited to either a time trial or a race with one other car. It's just too limited given more horsepower could have the entire game in VR the way Project Cars on Rift manages very easily. Borderlands 2 also......I really have to wonder if the co-op would be missing if it were running on something more powerful. Hopefully we will find out when the exclusiveness expires and it comes to Rift.

I do agree with the controllers though. They are very distracting once you are used to the Touch controllers. I have pretty good luck with the move controllers now but my current setup is causing very noticeable drift with the AIM controller which is just destroying immersion in games where I need it.

They are going to need to stick with the camera for backward compatibility but I'm hoping they can come up with a better solution for PS5 VR.

The Knuckle controllers from Valve look amazing but it looks like you will need the sensor towers from the HTC Vive to use them

Last edited by DaveS1138; 04-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 PM
HDD Contributor

Quite a bit of news today on the PS5. I'm surprised Sony was cool with dropping these hints. VR support, an SSD, ray-tracing capabilities, it all sounds pretty good. But I don't know whether they can price it at $399 good.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 PM

My theory is $450 might be acceptable just based on inflation. I think peopleís consciousness has priced this in. I have no data to support this.

The PS5 news in interesting mainly in the fact that this thing exists and coming 2020 and sounds more or less mainstream. Meaning, Sonyís not going back to having its head up its ass and resting on its laurels a-la PS3. Basically one narrative MS would have liked is, Sonyís not even at E3, check out our cool Xbox 2, is Sony napping or something? Apparently with this itís clear that wonít happen.

Other than that.... Sounds like itíll be another capable machine with a couple of bells and whistles, like last time. Assuming BC is full, it also means a guilt-free conversion for PS4 owners.

The minutiae of graphical power interest me less, except as applied to VR. We are so far into diminishing returns now, itís not even funny. So anything MS and Sony put out there is likely fine.

NOW, VR focus I want to know about. Very doubtful a standard SKU will be VR. Curious if new PSVR happens. Etc. Doesnít seem like prices are low enough to force VR into all SKUs.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
HDD Contributor

I agree with you that there are unlikely to be any VR SKUs. I suspect they're not even going to launch PSVR 2 at the same time, and that may come a couple years into the next generation. And it doesn't really make sense to package PSVR with the PS5, though I could certainly see them doing some promotional PS4 Pro/PSVR SKUs if those rumors about them wanting an entry-level "budget VR" system are true.
The fact that PSVR is forward compatible with the PS5 should be a good bridge in the meantime. With PS4 backwards compatibility, it does make me wonder if some studios will patch their PSVR games to run with the beefier specs of a PS5.

Here They Lie, for example, would be pretty amazing looking on a PS5, and RE7 would be super-crisp.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 AM

I truly dont know how they will put all of that in the PS5 and have it under $500, 1 TB SSD drives are still fairly pricy, obviously not near what they used to be, but you need AT LEAST that much built in, add to that the ray tracing and much beefier specs, I dont see this as a $400 machines at all. I got rid of my PS4 about a month ago, my One X is where I play everything and not much else interests me on the PS4 right now or in the near future before the PS5 hits, I only have so much time on my hands and when all my friends play on Xbox, well not much reason to hang on to it right now. But PS5 will definitely be in my future, especially when God of War 2 hits, thats a must play for me.

VR I could give two shits about, I have zero interest in playing that and for myself, could never justify the cost to jump in let alone having to buy even more games for something else when I was already owning all three consoles. I still have no interest, even more so now because I dont have a PS4 anymore anyways.

I'm all in on the Xbox ecosystem now anyhow so Playstation will still be my exclusive games machine for next gen too and not much else, interested to see what Microsoft will be doing with their console and whats in it but all in all, still sounds like a good machine from Sony, I'm just not in that camp for it to matter a whole lot for me
Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Watcher of stances

i'm surprised Sony putting that much PS5 hardware info out there, the builds aren't so proprietary any longer though.
sounds expensive