Official XBox 360 Hardware Failure (Red Ring of Death) discussion thread - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 AM

As a proud supporter of BD, I still view this 360 thread with skepticism.
My only problems (not with a PS-3) have been heat related.
So I go by the following guidelines:

Keep the expensive equipment (like the PS-3) as low to the floor as possible.
Reason: the difference in temp between the floor and ceiling can be as much as 10 degrees, depending on the level of ventilation in the room.
Keep an el-cheapo digital thermometer (remote side) at the input of that equipment and monitor it daily. I use an enclosed room (not a wide open living room) for a media room because the temp is easier to control without impacting the whole family.
I put an el-cheapo window A/C in that room (4.000 BTU at about 99 bucks) for summer. That way you are not stuck with a high electric bill for summer with family members complaining itís too cold. They command the thermostat. You command your media room.
Above all, clean the air intakes regularly.
Caution: Iím sure you experts all know by now how much heat is generated by big LCDs, HD-DVRs and Hi-end game machines. Donít even think about packing it all into a media room unless you can consider alternate A/C like a window unit.

KDL-40V2500 LCD VP-622 HD-DVR PS-3 on Wireless

Last edited by Les_1080P_LCD; 02-25-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 AM

Seriously though, Microsoft needs to get is crap straightened out. Just like Sony, they are NOT perfect bt any means.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Don't let your babies grow up to be Digital Engineers

yah, it's a crap shoot when you are buying state of the art technology with forced air a cooling technique so advanced it's patented, on board disk drives, blue lasers, etc. The actuaries aren't always there for the Manufacturers and vendors to work with, and if they are, they can't always be trusted. I'm telling you, the temp / altitude / humidiy / vibration-G-force / voltage / Sheilding / RF radiation / etc. specs on components can drive you bannas. Then try to get quantity deliveries.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 AM

lol isnt this the same way sony sold so many ps2s?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM

With so many problems they should have recalled it, aren't their laws against selling defective hardware ? you know protect the customer.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Oh, when did I call you a fanboy? I'm sorry, did the pot just complain about the kettle? Hypocrite.
LOL! Wow... I didn't mean for you get get all defensive about it.

I'm sorry but if:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy aka Rex
I've never once in the 12-11 year's that PS1 and PS2 have been out seen someone claim they were on their 7th PS1 or PS2 - at the most 1 or 2, and Sony got a hell of a lot of flack for having "shoddy hardware".
Isn't having on Sony glasses, I don't know what is. You should probably re-read my post. I never went on to say how many Xbox's, or 360's I've had in the past so and so years. I simply said it was the owners fault, then I went on to say how I keep my 360 on a shelf by itself, and when I get my PS3, it will also be on a shelf by itself. Which led you to say this gem:

Quote:
Maybe you should take your own advice and take off the MS glasses.

I think you're confused about what a hypocrite is, or maybe just confused about the english language in general. There is a great site out there called dictionary.com. You may want to use it when you have trouble figuring out what someone is saying.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Like it or not, every console has it's hardware faults. It's the consumers fault if they decided to buy (and treat their console poorly) over, and over, and over again. There are only so many ways that a system can have a hardware malfunction, while there are limitless ways that a system will go dead do to system negligence. If you really think that he went through seven 360's do to hardware faults, you a lying to yourself.

Thanks for calling me a fanboy, sad that I will own a PS2, and soon a PS3, when the only thing from Microsoft I own is a 360, yet I am a MS fanboy. Will I also be considered a Nintendo fanboy when I get a Wii?
Not to jump into your argument, however you have clearly stated that breakin XB360's was clearly the owner's fault. Indy aka Rex posted against you to show you that some of the most loyal XB360 owners (which will obviously treat their system well) have been through many.

Not only this, the person who has had their first console break after 25 years is another example. This person probably does treat his equipment very well for it to never have faults or break, yet it has happened for the first time in 25 years.

Quote:
Isn't having on Sony glasses, I don't know what is. You should probably re-read my post. I never went on to say how many Xbox's, or 360's I've had in the past so and so years. I simply said it was the owners fault, then I went on to say how I keep my 360 on a shelf by itself, and when I get my PS3, it will also be on a shelf by itself. Which led you to say this gem:
Edit- Are you mentally retarded or just plain (very) stupid? He posted this before you even posted ANYTHING, so how is this even relevant? He never posted it against, you so basically.. you're just stupid with nothing better to say and you take a post that has zero relevance to you.

And this is just stupid. You never gave examples of people who treat their consoles badly, though he posted them. It's called "giving an example" smart one.

Basically what he is saying is that Microsoft has never been called upon for their crappy hardware, and people have been on their 6th or 7th console.

However, previously, the PS1 and PS2 has been repeatedly called upon for their crap hardware, however no one (that i know of) has been on their 6th or 7th consoles.

Quote:
I think you're confused about what a hypocrite is, or maybe just confused about the english language in general. There is a great site out there called dictionary.com. You may want to use it when you have trouble figuring out what someone is saying.
And as for this... *cough*ROFL*cough* no comment.

Have fun you two.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Perhaps I'm luckiest SOB ever, but out of 20+ launch systems I own dating back to NES it's strange to me that I've had so few problems yet everyone else is plagued with them. The only launch system I've ever had go bad was my PlayStation 1.

I worked a stint at GameStop and I can tell you that 99% of the defective systems that people would try to trade-in or bring back reeked of cigarette smoke, or other kinds of smoke.

I've dusted my consoles or moved the shelf they were on only to turn on the 360 and get the rings of death...and then I go make sure the video cable is fully seated in the video input and pronto, no rings of death. A lot of people could make that mistake and freak out.

I seriously hope this guy with all the defective systems NEVER goes outside, because he will probably get hit by a meteor and by lighting at the same time, multiple times in a row.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM

OK now guys, we all know the XBox360 had some problems with its initial production line, but some of these personal stories are getting a little hard to believe now. Either these people are extremely unlucky or there is some kind of user error involved in these problems, I just find it hard to believe that the problem is truly as prevalent as PS3 fanboys are trying to make them out to be.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Official Xbox Red Ring of Death discussion thread

defective!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/24/xb...kly-geek-show/