Nvidia Stock Falls Following Turing Reviews... - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 PM

This is why PC gaming has been going down the toilet.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
This is why PC gaming has been going down the toilet.
Well, the only real issue with this is a pricing perception issue (which most dont feel is justified by the performance increase). There are all kinds of points to be made one way or another (I don't agree, by the way, with the idea that this is all linear -- folks are pointing out that these cards are 35% more powerful than the prior ti card, just like the prior ti card was 35% more powerful than the ti card before that -- but that this is a bigger price increase. It's not linear, it's an accruing power leap if you run the math (X *1.35 = 1.35X. 1.35X*1.35 is NOT 1.70X, it's larger -- in other words, it's more than a 70% increase in total and that second increase is more than a 35% additional increase if compared to Gen 1's power) -- so perhaps we shouldn't expect the same price increase for the same power jump).

That said, these cards sound like they're overpriced and disappointing from a value proposition standpoint. The real issue we have is that AMD isn't competitive, and NVIDIA running away with the game is probably the real issue facing PC gaming.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 AM

AMD seems unlikely to have an answer in the next 12 months, and Intel isn't returning the GPU market until 2020. Even when they do, there's no real expectation they will be competing with Nvidia's high end.

Team green is really running away with the high end for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
AMD seems unlikely to have an answer in the next 12 months,
Month 13 is when we'll see AMD release something. I mean, it's obvious they are working on it. I just think they might be in an odd place...and we probably won't see until the new consoles are announced.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 09-25-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Well, the only real issue with this is a pricing perception issue (which most dont feel is justified by the performance increase). There are all kinds of points to be made one way or another (I don't agree, by the way, with the idea that this is all linear -- folks are pointing out that these cards are 35% more powerful than the prior ti card, just like the prior ti card was 35% more powerful than the ti card before that -- but that this is a bigger price increase. It's not linear, it's an accruing power leap if you run the math (X *1.35 = 1.35X. 1.35X*1.35 is NOT 1.70X, it's larger -- in other words, it's more than a 70% increase in total and that second increase is more than a 35% additional increase if compared to Gen 1's power) -- so perhaps we shouldn't expect the same price increase for the same power jump).

That said, these cards sound like they're overpriced and disappointing from a value proposition standpoint. The real issue we have is that AMD isn't competitive, and NVIDIA running away with the game is probably the real issue facing PC gaming.
The other half of it is that NONE of the "RTX" components are even useable currently. It's like buying a 4K HDR for DVD content. Not to say you won't get some use out of it...but the meat and the potatoes of the "next gen" is in that additional hardware. Not having ANYTHING to test it with is a bust.

Again, I just think it's 6 months too early and by then their replacements are probably going to be talked about. My issue is that it's an obvious stop gap card at premium pricing.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Well, the only real issue with this is a pricing perception issue (which most dont feel is justified by the performance increase). There are all kinds of points to be made one way or another (I don't agree, by the way, with the idea that this is all linear -- folks are pointing out that these cards are 35% more powerful than the prior ti card, just like the prior ti card was 35% more powerful than the ti card before that -- but that this is a bigger price increase. It's not linear, it's an accruing power leap if you run the math (X *1.35 = 1.35X. 1.35X*1.35 is NOT 1.70X, it's larger -- in other words, it's more than a 70% increase in total and that second increase is more than a 35% additional increase if compared to Gen 1's power)
I see what you're saying here, and comparing a say a 2080Ti to a 980Ti (while skipping the 1080Ti) seems like it does add value, and I agree it's actually more than 70%, closer to 82 percent doing quick math. But technology is one thing that constantly gets cheaper to make. We're not expected to pay $700 for a 980Ti, $800 for a 1080Ti when a 2080Ti is available. The current year's flagship is expected to be similarly priced as last years, while last year's is expected to be lower in price than when it was released a year ago.