NVIDIA on the Cause of RTX 2080 Series Card Failures - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
Well, I mean a FULL rebuild. Like definitely new mobo, cpu and maybe even a case. Did you rebuild this past summer?
Yup.

8600k (would have been 8700k but supplies were odd...then suddenly not), 1080, and 16gb of DDR4. Also, I made the jump to m2 storage.

Overall, spent around $1000. However, I can technically upgrade to the i9 if I want to. But, I was able to get the 6 cores to run at 4.7ghz rock stable at low operating temps. So, I'm content for now. I think the next three years, I'll probably have to do a full flush if the APIs truly do advance and Ray Tracing starts taking off.

We're at that odd point...kinda curious what Next Gen consoles are going to be built around.

*awaits AMD statement*

Intel just announced support for Adaptive Sync. Which, should be putting the emphasis on Nvidia to perhaps abandon g-sync.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
We're at that odd point...kinda curious what Next Gen consoles are going to be built around.

*awaits AMD statement*
AMD will not implement DirectX ray tracing anytime soon

Quote:
An interview conducted by 4Gamer shows some interesting information, AMD’s Senior Vice President of Engineering for Radeon Technologies Group, David Wang, revealed that the red team will not implement DirectX ray tracing until all of its GPUs are capable of supporting it.

In the interview, Wang did not answer the question about any next-generation consumer desktop GPU, but on ray tracing, he shared a few words. On "DirectX Raytracing" (DXR) he mentioned:

"For the time being, AMD will definitely respond to Direct Raytracing, for the moment we will focus on promoting the speed-up of offline CG production environments centered on AMD’s Radeon ProRender, which is offered free of charge ….. utilization of ray tracing games will not proceed unless we can offer ray tracing in all product ranges from low end to high end."

It's a very broad statement actually, however it indicates there are no short-term plans to include the technology in their GPUs. And that also means that NVIDIA will be on the frontier of this technology for a while. Since Microsoft embedded this into the Dir4ectX API, we're not sure how wise it is as technology needs to advance forward.
This sounds like the next set of consoles probably won't have dedicated hardware for Ray Tracing. Seems like next-gen consoles will likely focus on 4K and HDR, which is a much easier hook to sell on given the TV space is already doing the marketing for them. I imagine games running at native 4k/60fps with HDR will be good looking enough to push a new round of consoles.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Yup.

8600k (would have been 8700k but supplies were odd...then suddenly not), 1080, and 16gb of DDR4. Also, I made the jump to m2 storage.

Overall, spent around $1000. However, I can technically upgrade to the i9 if I want to. But, I was able to get the 6 cores to run at 4.7ghz rock stable at low operating temps. So, I'm content for now. I think the next three years, I'll probably have to do a full flush if the APIs truly do advance and Ray Tracing starts taking off.

*awaits AMD statement*

Intel just announced support for Adaptive Sync. Which, should be putting the emphasis on Nvidia to perhaps abandon g-sync.
That's a seriously solid build -- nice! *jealous*
Old 11-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Are you guys actually seeing CPU limits on your 2500k chips when playing at 60fps? I'm on the next gen after that and my CPU seems asleep in most games. I haven't seen any reason to upgrade yet.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Are you guys actually seeing CPU limits on your 2500k chips when playing at 60fps? I'm on the next gen after that and my CPU seems asleep in most games. I haven't seen any reason to upgrade yet.
I believe I've been hitting the top when playing GTA V recently
Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
When, I was at 1080p, I was hitting some limits. Here and there I was getting frame spikes. The move to 1440p actually relieved that stress on the CPU some and moved it to the GPU. Still, I wasn't comfortable with getting a 1070 with my 2500k because my 2500k couldn't hold it's OC anymore. So, it was at stock speeds. Not at 4.5ghz like it was for the last few years.

I really started to notice on newer titles, like Prey (which ran overall well, but when I did my rebuild and still was using the 970s...night and day smoother.) Doom (2016), Metro, Final Fantasy 15 (a true beast of a game) and Fallout 4.

Though, I don't think Gamebryo games should be used as benchmarks. Sigh. Apparently, Starfield is using it still....and reporters are already defending it.

The funny thing was I didn't even realize how I altered the games I played based on what my hardware could do. I tended to focus on 2D platformers for a real long time because I didn't want to deal with the quirks of my system at the time. I didn't play Witcher 3 because my hardware was meh. Now, I think I might actually tackle it next year. After, I force myself to play the first...and then the 2nd. My PC back home can easily run Witcher 1 and 2.

While playing DQXI, I also notice an overall smoother experience when switching systems. Though, I also would realize that my 1080 GPU's TIM was bad while playing it. As I jokingly told people that DQXI really got my system hot. Freaking 85c temps on the GPU.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
NVIDIA​® GeForce RTX™ delivers the ultimate PC gaming experience. Game with the unparalleled realism and performance of the new NVIDIA Turing™ GPU architecture and revolutionary RTX platform as you enter mankind's greatest conflict where no two victories are ever alike. This is a whole new way to experience games.

For a limited time, purchase a qualifying GeForce RTX graphics card or gaming desktop and get Battlefield V.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...battlefield-v/

Apparently the offer is not valid on prior purchases.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What a bunch of assholes.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
As you might know, one of the two RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition video cards that we purchased directly from NVIDIA failed on us while using it for gaming last week. While we did not get Battlefield V for free, we did get Space Invaders for free, albeit we would have rather done without that freebie.

NVIDIA owned up to 2080 Ti FE card problems as well. Moving forward, NVIDIA support did an excellent job of getting a replacement 2080 Ti FE out to replace our failed card in an expeditious and efficient manner, even if FedEx dropped the ball on the shipment.

We got our replacement 2080 Ti FE on Monday of this week, and got it onto the test bench late Monday night to begin some stability testing. While grabbing some rest, we left the new card running the Heaven benchmark in a loop. Early Tuesday morning, about 8 hours later, we woke to find the 2080 Ti FE chugging along happily. This is of course a great result and were happy with it, which meant we could get to some Samsung VRAM temperature testing later on. Tuesday was a bit busy with family coming into town for the holidays, and having to write an in-depth technical office chair review, so we did not get to the VRAM temperature testing we wanted. However, the kids did want to play some VR games on Tuesday night, so I set up the test system with the 2080 Ti FE for them as it was still ready to go on the test bench. For whatever reason, the kids never got around to the VR gaming, and I went in to find the system sitting on the Windows desktop like I left it, and turned it off for the night and retired.

This morning, Wednesday, we hit the ground running and wanted to see if our new 2080 Ti FE with Samsung VRAM had any temperature differences from the previous Micron VRAM card. We turned the test system on, and were not greeted with a POST screen. Well, that is strange.

This is a new ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula motherboard has not been through our full testing gamut, so we were not sure of the exact issue. We started by moving the 2080 Ti FE around to the other available PCIe slot, and still no POST. We switched in my Micron VRAM 2080 Ti FE, and the system POSTed just fine using that card in both PCIe slots. We then tried our luck with a GTX 1080 Ti, and had no issues with it either.

Putting our replacement 2080 Ti FE back we were met with the same no-POST, no-signal issue, and we did try multiple times with reseating the card in different PCIe slots. The card's fans do spin up and the logo lights up as it should. The card also generates a good bit of heat on the backplate around the GPU.

We reached out, once again, to NVIDIA's support chat and explained our issue. Once again, NVIDIA chat support was very helpful and has initiated another RMA for us. You can see the quick transcript below.
We have now owned three NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition video cards. Two of those three have failed on us. While we do "abuse" a good bit of hardware around here, we do not feel that we abused these 2080 Ti FE cards in any way. This replacement card was never overclocked, or used in 3D except in our initial Heaven stability test as explained above. It seems that NVIDIA has not weeded all the way through its "test escapes" just yet. We will let you know how it goes with 2080 Ti FE #4.

It seems that not signing NVIDIA's 5 year blanket NDA has certainly given us a true enthusiast NVIDIA experience, just like our readers should expect.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018..._after_8_hours

Old 11-23-2018, 01:21 PM

While I don't care for Kyle's overly dramatic attitude (the , I'm really glad he's been holding them to the wall over this shit.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
While I don't care for Kyle's overly dramatic attitude (the , I'm really glad he's been holding them to the wall over this shit.
I chalk it up to Nvidia treating him like shit over the last few years.