Microsoft announced it was ceasing production of the Kinect entirely - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I think all these peripherals just miss the most obvious point - people want to be in a fantasy world when they play games. They want to fly and teleport and bend time and all these other things that are completely disconnected from reality. Having to user your body to interact with a game stops your brain from fully escaping into the fantasy world because you have to think about your movement, positioning, balance, etc. You can put your hands on auto-pilot and just "be" in a game world when using a controller, but you can't do that if you have to stand up and move your arms around.

That's why I think VR has a real challenge. Plenty of people enjoy playing a shooting gallery with motion controllers in a tech demo space, but how many people are going to put 500 hours into that like people do with traditional shooters year after year? Seems like very few. I don't hear about people loading up VR shooters for 2-3 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week, but those are commonplace numbers for Battlefield, CoD, Gears, Counter-Strike, etc.
I bet if they made a good VR competitive Descent/X Wing style shooter some people would at least.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Watcher of stances

ahhhhh, the good 'ol days of move/kinect hype trains and defense teams :shamebag1:
have to give them credit for trying
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I think all these peripherals just miss the most obvious point - people want to be in a fantasy world when they play games. They want to fly and teleport and bend time and all these other things that are completely disconnected from reality. Having to user your body to interact with a game stops your brain from fully escaping into the fantasy world because you have to think about your movement, positioning, balance, etc. You can put your hands on auto-pilot and just "be" in a game world when using a controller, but you can't do that if you have to stand up and move your arms around.

That's why I think VR has a real challenge. Plenty of people enjoy playing a shooting gallery with motion controllers in a tech demo space, but how many people are going to put 500 hours into that like people do with traditional shooters year after year? Seems like very few. I don't hear about people loading up VR shooters for 2-3 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week, but those are commonplace numbers for Battlefield, CoD, Gears, Counter-Strike, etc.
I have no problem what so ever sinking hours at a time into Skyrim VR. Make the game compelling and I don't think too many people would. And if EA would only bring X-Wing to VR....I'm not sure I would ever take the headset off

But standing up......**** that shit

As much as I love VR I would never want to play a game standing up. I think that's the issue Kinect had and VR has with certain titles.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Kinect was far from an atrocity.. as an end-of-gen accessory, it did amazingly well and lifted X360 sales in general.

The business plan for XB1, which put too much faith in Kinect 2, was an atrocity..
I think this is probably right, although I do think that the focus and time/resources lost to kinect at the expense of the core gaming agenda hurt (MS's core gaming) as well, but that's hard to quantify.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM

No, Kinect wasnít just bad because it didnít work as well as would have been ideal. Fundamentally it was bad because even if it worked perfectly, nothing other than Oprah shit and literally one or two core games worked with it. So, it was never anything more than a gimmick, and an even less practical one than Wii, which was both more functional for core games and already done.

So it was good enough to sell some units but not good enough to play anything non-Oprah. Some people even here fell for it, actually stating that MechWarrior type games would be amazing on it, and that the gun smith UI in some military games would rock because you can rotate guns with your arms instead of analog stick. It is so laughable, so pathetically naÔve. But that was a failure of the imagination. It didnít amount to squat. Just a novelty, and it NEVER went beyond that.

Of course, I was one of the people excited for what could be done with it. The difference is I never fucking bought it, because despite all my hopes, those hopes never materialized, while I waited. Thereís a difference between hope and blind trust. Iím of course guilty of blind trust myself, buying $600 PS3 on day 1, almost a door stop at the time. But with motion controls I didnít fall for it.

The only motion control that has ever actually impressed me in an actual game has been Oculus Touch, both because it worked completely perfectly, with zero lag and complete intuition, and MORE IMPORTANTLY BY FAR because it interacted with immediate intuitive physical feedback. It took a whole new output system (VR) to make motion control worth anything. And even then, itís only a subset of core thing where it helps. Compared to that Kinect, and Wii, and Move, is just pointless nonsense.

The worst was Todd Roberts. Just incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Kinect was far from an atrocity.. as an end-of-gen accessory, it did amazingly well and lifted X360 sales in general.
Okay, Wii Fit was also not an atrocity then, since it sold hugely and moved tons of Wiis.

Still an atrocious POS. Sales donít translate into enjoyment of games. Sometimes atrocious products sell.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post

The worst was Todd Roberts. Just incredible.
RIP, Todd Roberts. We hardly knew ye, but I'm sure you're off weeping somewhere.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Kinect was such a failure! RIP
Old 05-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberme View Post
Kinect was such a failure! RIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzqdaHEsSIY
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmq View Post
PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam:
Why did this account make a post quoting my Signature...?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Funny how the title on this only shows "Microsoft announced it was ceasing". I guess we can dream.