Make up your mind Squenix! WTF is this about FF13!? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 AM

If MGS4 can go on to sell 4 million copies, I have no doubt that FFXIII could sell 5 million on the PS3. Going on the 360 is a smart move no doubt, but knowing how much sooner that the Japanese are going to get this game bothers me. With this 360 version though, I'm guessing...3-4 million for PS3, 2-3 million for 360.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

If they are telling the truth then the 360 version will be inferior in many ways.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Final Fantasy XI was remade in HD for the 360 but not the PS3 with the rumor being at the time Sony wasn't going to allow developers to use the HDD.
Where the hell did you read that rumor? Why would Sony not allow developers to use the HDD. That the mot ridiculous thing I ever heard. Like the rumor why rockband 360 was wired because Sony owned the wireless tec and would sue them. That was posted on N4G in the comments.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 AM

It adds to the confusion, when well after it was announced for simultaneous release on the 360, Square said that they had put a lot of effort into place to streamlining their localization process and that it would take less time than on their recent games. So I'm really finding it hard to believe that they won't start the 360 port until the PS3 version is completely done, and they'll manage to completely port the game to the 360 and work out the bugs in say 6 months time or less?

I really don't see that many options.

1. They're lying about the reduced localization time.
2. The simultaneous release is a soft target and the 360 version may be delayed
3. They're lying about not starting the 360 port until the PS3 version is finished.
4. They're planning to rush the 360 port and it's likely to have problems and bugs.
5. They've got the most skilled team at porting games I've ever seen.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Here's the ABCs of what's going to happen.

A: Game is going to be finished and burned to the PS3 for Japan, in Japanese with Japanese dialog/text/actors.

B: The game is going to be localized. This is much harder than just a simple translation, the localization happens to the story to ensure that the dialog and flow makes sense, to signing and other in-game elements and to the text. Then they get actors to dub the voices and possibly redo the animation framing to lipsync to the English dialog. Since the PS3 is already in the can at this point, they'd spend this time porting it over to the 360.

C: Now that the game engine is ported and content updated, the game is released simultaneously in NA for both systems.

Now on Last Reminants, some games are exclusive for different reasons. Final Fantasy XI was remade in HD for the 360 but not the PS3 with the rumor being at the time Sony wasn't going to allow developers to use the HDD. All that being said, if the PS3 version has 5.1>7.1 PCM audio, they can easily get it down by making the audio DD on the 360 version. Or multiple discs, or whatever. The game isn't out yet and won't be for a while, it's pointless to speculate at this point if they're going to look the same or not. When they're being previewed and when they come out, then we'll know.
What are you talking about lol?

FFXI was ported from the PC to the 360 because the architecture were so similar. To do an equal port to the PS3 would've taken the dev team nearly a year to rewrite the game optimized for the PS3, Tanaka said it was a waste of time as they had already shifted most of their personnel to Rapture (codename), their new MMO. This is the reason the PS3 did not get a stand alone version of FFXI. Also if you own a 20/60 or 80 gig (mgs4) you can play FFXI anyway.

And I can't even figure out what you're trying to say in the rest of your paragraph but the stated reasons that LR is a timed exclusive is that SE had trouble adapting UE to the PS3 which delayed the PS3 development by a couple months.

So why not delay the x360 version of the game too? As Darkfalz once said they could take advantage of advertising for both games at the same time for the same cost among other things (he used this argument to defend releasing FFXIII for PS3/x360 at the same time here ).

Doesn't make sense that they don't delay once and then they delay another time.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM

What I remember being said from SquareEnix in the past about any plans of a FF on the 360, there was nothing but a "blank page". If I remember correctly they also said somewhere that FF13 is probably the first game to use fully the specifications of the PS3 and confirmed it as an exclusive. Blu Ray and availability of HDD in every console were two of the things that attracted them on the PS3.

Everything showed that they wouldnt have made it on the 360 for obvious reasons. Especially with the lack of storage.

Then suddenly at E3 2008 it becomes a megaton at MS's press conference. And SE said that production on the 360 hasnt even begun yet. To me it looks like SE did not plan anything for the 360 until the last minute just before MS's press conference. This makes me suspicious that MS had approached them just a little bit before the conference and told them to show what they had already for the PS3 to make the announcement.

The development until now probably never EVER took into account the possibility of a port. It was probably designed with only one platform in mind and tried to squeeze everything they could out of the PS3. SE seems to report all the time that they will move to the 360 port after they finish with the PS3 version. This hints the possibility that there is no turning back from where they are now. At the same time I wonder if this is going to change and alter the PS3 version to ensure that a perfect port can be done on the 360 since the initial development did not take into accountability the 360 version and they have to consider it now. Lets not forget that the initial production was aiming to make use of the PS3's unique "features". I doubt a perfect port can be done without altering a bit the initial version
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
Where the hell did you read that rumor? Why would Sony not allow developers to use the HDD. That the mot ridiculous thing I ever heard. Like the rumor why rockband 360 was wired because Sony owned the wireless tec and would sue them. That was posted on N4G in the comments.
Note, at the time, this was back over a year before the PS3 was going to be released. And I do say it was just a rumor and it was discussed on FFXI fansites that were waiting for the PS3 version. The reason given at the time was that Sony had other plans for the HDD including DLC. And given that FFXI was the only PS2 game to use the HDD, it's not an unreasonable expectation over a year prior to the PS3 release to think that the PS3 games wouldn't need a HDD either. Especially when you have Blu-ray for storage. But things change and obviously they let and encourage developers to make use of the hard drive now.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
What are you talking about lol?

FFXI was ported from the PC to the 360 because the architecture were so similar. To do an equal port to the PS3 would've taken the dev team nearly a year to rewrite the game optimized for the PS3, Tanaka said it was a waste of time as they had already shifted most of their personnel to Rapture (codename), their new MMO. This is the reason the PS3 did not get a stand alone version of FFXI. Also if you own a 20/60 or 80 gig (mgs4) you can play FFXI anyway.

And I can't even figure out what you're trying to say in the rest of your paragraph but the stated reasons that LR is a timed exclusive is that SE had trouble adapting UE to the PS3 which delayed the PS3 development by a couple months.

So why not delay the x360 version of the game too? As Darkfalz once said they could take advantage of advertising for both games at the same time for the same cost among other things (he used this argument to defend releasing FFXIII for PS3/x360 at the same time here ).

Doesn't make sense that they don't delay once and then they delay another time.
I was saying that sometimes timed exclusives are for technical reasons, and other times for financial reasons including that one side or the other pays for the exclusive time. If they have a release ready, it makes sense to release it. A lot of money is held up in development, releasing lets them begin recouping the investment.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo-Proxy View Post
What I remember being said from SquareEnix in the past about any plans of a FF on the 360, there was nothing but a "blank page". If I remember correctly they also said somewhere that FF13 is probably the first game to use fully the specifications of the PS3 and confirmed it as an exclusive. Blu Ray and availability of HDD in every console were two of the things that attracted them on the PS3.

Everything showed that they wouldnt have made it on the 360 for obvious reasons. Especially with the lack of storage.

Then suddenly at E3 2008 it becomes a megaton at MS's press conference. And SE said that production on the 360 hasnt even begun yet. To me it looks like SE did not plan anything for the 360 until the last minute just before MS's press conference. This makes me suspicious that MS had approached them just a little bit before the conference and told them to show what they had already for the PS3 to make the announcement.

The development until now probably never EVER took into account the possibility of a port. It was probably designed with only one platform in mind and tried to squeeze everything they could out of the PS3. SE seems to report all the time that they will move to the 360 port after they finish with the PS3 version. This hints the possibility that there is no turning back from where they are now. At the same time I wonder if this is going to change and alter the PS3 version to ensure that a perfect port can be done on the 360 since the initial development did not take into accountability the 360 version and they have to consider it now. Lets not forget that the initial production was aiming to make use of the PS3's unique "features". I doubt a perfect port can be done without altering a bit the initial version
MS had been working with SE for a while, and now they know how to work with the 360. But even before then they had already started work on the PS3 version of FFXIII, so it doesn't make sense to go back from scratch to develop the PS3 and 360 for a simultanious Japan release, especially given the 360s install base in Japan. Also there's another post on Kotaku saying they have no plans for FFXIII on the 360 in Japan. So why hold up the Japan release for a version that isn't going to be released. The localization and development teams are different, and now they have had a lot of experience programming for the 360 with IU, LR, FFXI, SO4, etc. Get the team working on the port while another team localizes the information, and it should all come together. But again, this is well over a year off, so it's mere speculation on everyone's part how things will turn out.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Note, at the time, this was back over a year before the PS3 was going to be released. And I do say it was just a rumor and it was discussed on FFXI fansites that were waiting for the PS3 version. The reason given at the time was that Sony had other plans for the HDD including DLC. And given that FFXI was the only PS2 game to use the HDD, it's not an unreasonable expectation over a year prior to the PS3 release to think that the PS3 games wouldn't need a HDD either. Especially when you have Blu-ray for storage. But things change and obviously they let and encourage developers to make use of the hard drive now.
I really have no idea what fansites you're talking about. Tanaka stated pretty early that a PS3 version would not be made because they'd have to recode the whole game (which would take a HUGE amount of time + workers that they'd rather devote to Rapture). Where as a PC -> x360 port is relatively easy because of the similarities in the system.

Quote:
I was saying that sometimes timed exclusives are for technical reasons, and other times for financial reasons including that one side or the other pays for the exclusive time. If they have a release ready, it makes sense to release it. A lot of money is held up in development, releasing lets them begin recouping the investment.
They could finish the NA/Europe versions via localization before the x360 port is finished so by your logic they should release those versions on the PS3 but they won't.

Quote:
MS had been working with SE for a while, and now they know how to work with the 360. But even before then they had already started work on the PS3 version of FFXIII, so it doesn't make sense to go back from scratch to develop the PS3 and 360 for a simultanious Japan release, especially given the 360s install base in Japan. Also there's another post on Kotaku saying they have no plans for FFXIII on the 360 in Japan. So why hold up the Japan release for a version that isn't going to be released. The localization and development teams are different, and now they have had a lot of experience programming for the 360 with IU, LR, FFXI, SO4, etc. Get the team working on the port while another team localizes the information, and it should all come together. But again, this is well over a year off, so it's mere speculation on everyone's part how things will turn out.
You realize that SE didn't develop IU, and is not developing SO4 right? They only published the games.