Make up your mind Squenix! WTF is this about FF13!? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
It shouldn't be speculation at this point. The mere fact that you're essentially going to delay one revenue stream in favor of another when you know quite well that the game will sell millions on a single console alone, not to mention you'll most likely delay it for as long as you have to to make a second version even WORK... pretty much means you're getting some sort of compensation.
Well, y'know, if he's speaking strictly for Japan then he's telling the truth. They don't have to wait any longer and development is too far along to really make fundamental alterations for sake of keeping the playing field level.

I suppose it would be the same reaction as some gamers have here about "Why should I care what happens outside of the USA?"

In Japan, why should they care about other countries and the delay of the game as long as they still get it in timely fashion? It seems like the interview is more geared towards easing fears of "local" Japanese gamers than international ones.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Well, y'know, if he's speaking strictly for Japan then he's telling the truth. They don't have to wait any longer and development is too far along to really make fundamental alterations for sake of keeping the playing field level.

I suppose it would be the same reaction as some gamers have here about "Why should I care what happens outside of the USA?"

In Japan, why should they care about other countries and the delay of the game as long as they still get it in timely fashion? It seems like the interview is more geared towards easing fears of "local" Japanese gamers than international ones.
okay then well start the fucking port for the 360. use the extra money that ms gave them and hire more people to start the goddam port. seriously if they can't get it sooner than late 2009 I say fuck square.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Speculation is that Microsoft threw money at SE.
Maybe.. Maybe not.

Square would have to be stupid to ignore a console installation base bigger than the PS3. It's about the bottom line. This game will sell FAR MORE copies being available on both platforms instead of just one. And we already saw major third party companies like rockstar take away former PS2 exclusives because you simply can't ignore a console when it has a higher installation base and you know you'll sell tons of copies of your game on it.

But the standard Internet fanboys will always come up with some conspiracy against "M$"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Maybe.. Maybe not.

Square would have to be stupid to ignore a console installation base bigger than the PS3. It's about the bottom line. This game will sell FAR MORE copies being available on both platforms instead of just one. And we already saw major third party companies like rockstar take away former PS2 exclusives because you simply can't ignore a console when it has a higher installation base and you know you'll sell tons of copies of your game on it.

But the standard Internet fanboys will always come up with some conspiracy against "M$"
it still does not make sense to hold off the game until the 360 version is finished.
besides i will bet you anything that ff 13 is gonna sell more on the ps3.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
That's still not "identical".
Where does the article say that they'll be identical?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Indy_aka_Rex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 19,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimgt View Post
Where does the article say that they'll be identical?
I can't find the article on Kotaku, but back in July, Square talked about how both releases would be identical.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Square would have to be stupid to ignore a console installation base bigger than the PS3. It's about the bottom line. This game will sell FAR MORE copies being available on both platforms instead of just one.
There's no arguing this logic. This is absolutely sound, a title available to a larger consumer-base is going to sell more copies.

But on the other hand, it would be hard to dismiss the idea that some kind of agreement was struck. Obviously Squenix didn't just randomly show up at the Microsoft press conference and surprise everyone, including Microsoft, with their announcement. Microsoft knew in advance and allowed for the announcement to be made at the end of the conference because some kind of agreement had been reached about bringing the title to the console.

And in all likelihood, while FFXIII releasing earlier on the PS3 would not hurt the sales of the 360 version significantly, holding back the release of the North American PS3 version to coincide with the 360 version DOES hurt Sony. If Squenix was simply interested in getting the title out to as many consoles as possible as quickly as possible, they'd simply work on the localization of the PS3 version ASAP and release it whenever it's ready.

It seems quite likely that Squenix was interested in bringing FFXIII to the 360, but Microsoft wanted it to be simultaneous with the American version so as to prevent dual console owners from buying it on the PS3 earlier if they had the option. This way the traditional "I'm doing it for achievements/my friends are on Xbox Live" arguments can still hold some sway on the decision making process, as opposed to "Should I wait another year for the 360 version when the PS3 version is sitting right in front of me?"

While not outside the realm of possibility, it's pretty doubtful that Microsoft would say "We'd prefer it if you released it on the PS3 first" and Squenix said "Oh, no, no, my friends, we insist on releasing it simultaneously on both platforms for the English version."

What's more likely is that Squenix was perfectly aware that they would gain the ire of the Japanese gamers (who are still their first priority for reasons of nationality if nothing else) if they delayed the title on native soil, and stood firm on that condition while Microsoft, knowing that the Japanese sales wouldn't count for much in the long run, conceded the Japanese release but negotiated aggressively on remaining competitive with the English version.

After all, if you had the option to hurt competitor's sales, why WOULDN'T you take it?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Indy_aka_Rex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 19,228
Default

I think that right now the "install-base" argument is such a moot-point for EVERYONE. We're talking about a game that's not due for another 2 years... by that point, Sony could be ahead of the 360 in worldwide sale, so really... a lead? Not that important for a 2010 game.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Aodh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,141
Default

Here's the ABCs of what's going to happen.

A: Game is going to be finished and burned to the PS3 for Japan, in Japanese with Japanese dialog/text/actors.

B: The game is going to be localized. This is much harder than just a simple translation, the localization happens to the story to ensure that the dialog and flow makes sense, to signing and other in-game elements and to the text. Then they get actors to dub the voices and possibly redo the animation framing to lipsync to the English dialog. Since the PS3 is already in the can at this point, they'd spend this time porting it over to the 360.

C: Now that the game engine is ported and content updated, the game is released simultaneously in NA for both systems.


Now on Last Reminants, some games are exclusive for different reasons. Final Fantasy XI was remade in HD for the 360 but not the PS3 with the rumor being at the time Sony wasn't going to allow developers to use the HDD. All that being said, if the PS3 version has 5.1>7.1 PCM audio, they can easily get it down by making the audio DD on the 360 version. Or multiple discs, or whatever. The game isn't out yet and won't be for a while, it's pointless to speculate at this point if they're going to look the same or not. When they're being previewed and when they come out, then we'll know.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Maybe.. Maybe not.

Square would have to be stupid to ignore a console installation base bigger than the PS3. It's about the bottom line. This game will sell FAR MORE copies being available on both platforms instead of just one. And we already saw major third party companies like rockstar take away former PS2 exclusives because you simply can't ignore a console when it has a higher installation base and you know you'll sell tons of copies of your game on it.

But the standard Internet fanboys will always come up with some conspiracy against "M$"
MGS4 seems to have paid off rather nicely. Besides, installation base isn't 100% of the story otherwise, your argument would utterly fail. The Wii has more consoles sold than either system. When it comes down to it, installation base for a game like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid or Halo is irrelevant because these franchises can move consoles themselves. A low profile or somewhat high profile third party game might be counting on an install base if it's a new IP but with proven franchises, it's a fact that they move hardware, generally. Install base doesn't matter in the case of mega-franchises like what I mentioned above.

The right thing to do would be to release the PS3 version when it's localization is done and then spend time optimizing the 360 version and release it when it's ready, even if it means making it a timed PS3 exclusive (if the install base is all that matters then that means that the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version severalfold anyway) but it would mean that the 360 version isn't just a mere port. The game is going to be epic, why not ensure the epic experience for all parties?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squenix enters crowdfunding with new program Bane Game Room 7 01-27-2014 07:46 PM
Squenix Report: Sleeping Dogs to be a PC snob showcase Tnecniv Game Room 26 10-17-2012 12:13 AM
'A Beautiful Mind' 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' are coming January 25 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 6 10-15-2010 12:19 PM
Wtf is Max Collins an idiot? Road to Perdition sequel? Wtf, somebody stop this! Idioteque... Film Forum 16 08-08-2010 10:32 AM
FF13 Development "a mess" KTA Gaming Smackdown 47 07-25-2007 10:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off