High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Gaming Smackdown (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/gaming-smackdown-42/)
-   -   How does the Warner decision affect the console war? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/gaming-smackdown/34714-how-does-warner-decision-affect-console-war.html)

Godstar 01-07-2008 11:14 AM

How does the Warner decision affect the console war?
 
I think it's pretty clear to me that the Warner announcement was "Game Over" for Toshiba. Microsoft still has their plan B with digital downloads, which may or may not take off - but it's not a guarentee since just about every cable provider has on demand. Format wise, it does pretty clearly put the PS3 ahead as a media machine over the 360 for people entering into the market. Also, it looks like the 360 with built in HD DVD was a myth. Now what does this mean to gaming? When Sony finally wraps up their format battle with Toshiba, will they finally turn the broadsides of their battleship to aim at MS, or continue to sit off in the distance taking pot shots? I don't think Sony could have asked for a better Christmas present from Warner, hopefully they do the right thing with it.

The continuing problem of the Wii won't be addressed by Sony by this decision, since the Wii isn't in the HD market anyway and gains nor loses anything by the decision.

michealo 01-07-2008 11:17 AM

hard to say, but i'm fairly certain the PS3 desirability as a Blu-Ray player just skyrocketed.

now if they could only solve that missing A+ games problem.

james 01-07-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michealo (Post 607994)
hard to say, but i'm fairly certain the PS3 desirability as a Blu-Ray player just skyrocketed.

now if they could only solve that missing A+ games problem.

The PS3 is still the best Blu-ray player on the market, but I really think Blu-ray needs a feature-rich and affordable Standalone to attract main-stream adoption. It's not quite there, yet.

RussTC3 01-07-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godstar (Post 607984)
How does the Warner decision affect the console war?

It doesn't.

The number 1 focus of gamers is gaming.

james 01-07-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussTC3 (Post 608037)
It doesn't.

The number 1 focus of gamers is gaming.

I think there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Godstar 01-07-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 608046)
I think there is a lot of truth in that statement.

I think there is a reason or that, they've been focusing on a 2 front war with both MS and Toshiba. Caught between the two, it's been hard for them to really focus on gaming, when the basis of their gaming machine - the BD, was in jeapordy. Now that they're wrapping up the format war with Toshiba, they can focus on the console war with MS and Nintendo.

michealo 01-07-2008 11:32 AM

can't say i agree with that in general.
'gamers' are an aging market.
we're not 14-24 anymore.

the PS2 was a DVD player for millions, and looks like the PS3 will server similar purposes.

james 01-07-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godstar (Post 608044)
LTRTFP.....

Godstar, do you really think Sony has not done everything it can to compete with MS up to this point? With or without the format war, I think Sony has already brought out the "big guns" against MS.

Godstar 01-07-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 608060)
Godstar, do you really think Sony has not done everything it can to compete with MS up to this point? With or without the format war, I think Sony has already brought out the "big guns" against MS.

Sorry, a bit cranky at the moment - haven't had my morning coffee yet. Anyways, I think I stated why I think their focus has been off regarding the console war. I don't think competing with 2 other consoles, fighting a format war - which the console was based upon, has helped them at all. I don't think they've had the guns out, just pointed in too many directions, lacking any sort of focus. Once they wrap up the format war, and directly start competing with MS and Nintendo I think their image will change. Maybe.

james 01-07-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michealo (Post 608057)
can't say i agree with that in general.
'gamers' are an aging market.
we're not 14-24 anymore.

the PS2 was a DVD player for millions, and looks like the PS3 will server similar purposes.

The only problem is DVD didn't require you to buy a new television.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.