Analyst Speculation: Microsoft Might Acquire Electronic Arts - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 PM

You donít usually buy an expensive company thatís less of a growth stock than you are. Companies are after profits, not fanboy talking points.

Buying EA is the old, letís sell a $500 machine for $300 and lose $5b a year just to sort of stay in Sony rear view, Xbox. The current Xbox division no longer operates with a blank check.

If they want to return to that, more power to them, but thatís not them right now.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
If they want to return to that, more power to them, but thatís not them right now.
Totally agree, but it seems clear they are in a transitionary period. Continuing to be what they are right now seems like a great way to remain far behind Sony and Nintendo. We've got to assume Xbox is going to make some major moves after their original vision for this generation fell flat.

Starting a bunch of new internal studios by poaching top talent from across the industry seems like a more feasible solution to the problem than buying an albatross like EA. But if they were working on that, I would have expected to hear rumblings of it by now. Given we haven't, what does that mean? It's a fun question to kick around.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 PM

They didn't buy Bioware so they'll buy the people that bought them.

*Thumbs up*

EA needs a corporate purge, and I'm actually interested in MS possibly being the one to do it. Also, this means the death of Origin.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

*Thumbs up*

EA needs a corporate purge, and I'm actually interested in MS possibly being the one to do it. Also, this means the death of Origin.
If it meant the death of origin, I'd fully support it!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:

*Thumbs up*

I absolutely love the idea of this.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Dreams hopes and aspirations. Seems like a stupid move to full on purchase a game publisher if all you want are the games, just purchase exclusivity like the good ol' days.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Also, this means the death of Origin.
Only to have those same games locked away behind the Windows Store like the current Xbox exclusives. Is this what you really want? Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

Old 02-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Miicrosoft stock has been soaring lately......In part, because....Microsoft is seeing itself more and more as a multiplatform and back end software company. They want to power apps on all platforms....Windows money is declining....they offer more and more products as services.

IF they bought EA......IFFFFFFF they bought them...I actually still see them publishing all of those games on Sony platforms still. Which seems a bit ludicrous and its why I don't see this happening.

I mean...why continue to publish Minecraft on PS4 but pull Madden off of it?

They're probably talking though.....everybody's always talking. Maybe we see more deals.....or not....

But with Microsoft stock being pretty high right now...shit...their market cap must have doubled in the last five years (i'd have to check) but that means they'd have more to work with at the moment.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Only to have those same games locked away behind the Windows Store like the current Xbox exclusives. Is this what you really want? Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

I hate Origin. Hate it. And, MS has been okay about releasing on Steam. Granted, a few pieces of content are still locked behind their own store. However, by using Windows, you are already subjecting yourself to their bloat. It isn't really "another" product as it is merely just giving more money to the same pool. Now, that doesn't excuse the poor optimizations and terrible issues of Unified Windows Apps.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Dreams hopes and aspirations. Seems like a stupid move to full on purchase a game publisher if all you want are the games, just purchase exclusivity like the good ol' days.
EA has Star Wars. I, honestly, would rather MS have it. Not going to lie.