Bioshock/Bioshock 2: Andrew Ryan quotes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Bioshock/Bioshock 2: Andrew Ryan quotes

I thought it would be cool to have a thread with quotes from Andrew Ryan from Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

I agree with most of what Andrew Ryan has to say, but not everything at all times... still, he is on point most of the time. Ayn Rand would be proud of him.

Andrew Ryan: "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city, as well."
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Andrew Ryan was a big part of what made Bioshock a classic.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Here are some other good ones.

Quote:
"What is the difference between a man and a parasite? A man builds, a parasite asks 'Where's my share?' A man creates, a parasite says 'What will the neighbors think?' A man invents, a parasite says 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God...'"

Quote:
"On the surface, the Parasite expects the doctor to heal them for free, the farmer to feed them out of charity. How little they differ from the pervert who prowls the streets, looking for a victim he can ravish for his grotesque amusement."

Quote:
"Doctor Suchong, frankly, I'm shocked by your proposal. If we were to modify the structure of our commercial plasmid line as you propose, to have them make the user vulnerable to mental suggestion through pheromones, would we not be able to effectively control the actions of the citizens of Rapture? Free will is the cornerstone of this city. The thought of sacrificing it is abhorrent. However... we are indeed in a time of war. If Atlas and his bandits have their way, will they not turn us into slaves? And what will become of free will then? Desperate times call for desperate measures."

Quote:
"I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky. But there is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain of industry that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction. The chain is too powerful and too mysterious for any government to guide. Any man who tells you different either has his hand in your pocket, or a pistol to your neck."
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Here are some other good ones.
Those are all excellent!

I am going to pay attention to the quotes in Bioshock 2 and see if I can get some transcribed. I am going to go back to Ryan Amusements and listen to the exhibits and see if anything good comes up.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Andrew Ryan: "Whenever anyone wants others to do their work they call upon their Altruism. 'Never mind your own needs,' they say, 'Think of the needs of... of whoever. Of the state. Of the poor. Of the Army, of the King. Of God.' The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words 'Think of yourself?' It's the king and country crowd who light the torch of destruction."
Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM

This video got some of the best quotes, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI7gxxbYpo

No need to transcribe it into text, I assume?

I spent 3 whole hours reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and listening to old recordings of her.

I think I've found my new political agenda. Objectivism and the Virtue of Selfishness FTW!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM

I am trying to get some quotes from the amusement area, but they are not as good as the original game:

Bioshock 2

Andrew Ryan: "Unable to provide for itself, the need of the parasite grows until war is made to justify it."

Last edited by IceNine; 02-11-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Bioshock 2

Andrew Ryan: "Lacking its own ingenuity, the parasite fears the visionary. What it cannot plagiarize, it seeks to censor. What it cannot regulate, it seeks to ban."
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Bioshock 2

Andrew Ryan: "An artist strives to frame his ideals in an image; to challenge his audience and to make his vision immortal. But the parasites say 'no, your art must serve the cause... your ideals endanger the people!'"
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Bioshock 2

Andrew Ryan: "The parasite makes nothing for itself. Its only tools are taxes and tithes meant to trick you into offering what it has not earned. In Rapture we keep what is ours."