Nintendo turned down Natal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Nintendo turned down Natal

Reports: Nintendo turned down Natal

by Mike Smith

According to a top insider, Nintendo was offered the chance to snap up the tech that will end up powering Microsoft's Project Natal, but declined the opportunity.

Quoted at computerandvideogames.com, the source said the Israeli company that invented the 3D camera-powered motion recognition system demonstrated it to Nintendo execs (including Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata) in 2007. Iwata was reportedly impressed, but turned it down -- only for Microsoft to snag it the following year.

"3DV showed off a camera that detected motion in 3D, and had voice recognition," the unnamed source told CVG. "But Iwata-San was unconvinced he could sell it at a Nintendo price point. He also had some worries around latency during gameplay... I've heard Iwata describe the prototype he saw at length, and it's definitely Natal."

CVG's mole also expressed some doubt as to whether Microsoft could deliver on its lofty promises once it launches Natal later this year. "We remain unconvinced Natal will deliver on the more sophisticated elements of what Microsoft is promising at the price they're aiming for," he or she said.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...-natal/1386922
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM

I searched the forums for this and didn't find it, so I apologize if it is common knowledge.