Heavy Rain "Delayed Trophies" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Default Heavy Rain "Delayed Trophies"

Hope the link works because Im at work but Im sure most have heard about this by now.
What does everyone else think about the "delayed" trophy awarding that Heavy Rain is supposed to introduce? Basically, if you earn a trophy for a certain task, you wont know it until in between scenes or chapter breaks. It's supposed to be a way of not inturrupting suspense and the mood that the game sets for you.

IMO this will probably not go well with the whores (like myself) who directly attack trophy lists and live to hear the ding after accomplishing it. Also if the game can be different each time I play, what does that mean for redo's/retries? You know,trying to get back to where I need to be to attempt the trophy again? Say someone dies but for the trophy they were necessary to be in game, (like for a kiss or something), will they be alive on my redo? I dont understand how this will work. Does anyone else care about this?

http://www.n4g.com/RedirectToObj.aspx?ObjID=444455
Old 01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
HDD Contributor

Yeah, this news did come out before, but personally it works for me. While I am an admitted Trophy Whore, I still enjoy playing a game--especially the very first time--simply for the sake of enjoying the game. The reasoning behind the delayed trophy notification is one that I can see and agree with. It's definitely not a deal breaker since most of the time I'm sure you'll know when you've met a trophy requirement simply by your actions on screen.

I mean, hypothetically, if one of the trophies is for a character to not die during a particular action sequence, just the fact that he or she lives to the end of the chapter means you know you got it. I can only see this being a minor irritant for subsequent playthroughs for people that might see Heavy Rain as an opportunity for easy trophies and nothing else, but this certainly doesn't make the game any less appealing to people interested in the game itself.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM

The trophy list is out already. However all but five are secret. One is see all endings.

F that. There is like 30 of them!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM

This is the game I'm looking forward to the most, right now. Sure, I'm looking forward to FFXIII, God of War III, Alan Wake, Dead Rising 2 and others, but this is the game I'm most excited about. Delayed trophies will not matter at all to me, as long as the game is great.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM

This could be the first game I try and get tall trophies for.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM

Some games already use delayed trophies/achievements, most are just ones you have to see the credits to get or whatever, but it makes no difference imo.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM

This is perfect. It tells me the developer is truly interested in creating an engaging story and experience. I hope The Last Guardian and similar games in the future will do the same.

I wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM

If you're going to commit to the games-as-art thing, go full hog and don't flinch. I think this is a good idea, given the goals they've set for the game. I would also suspect they've built the trophies in a way that is simply makes you play through the game multiple times, rather than having collectibles, Hard mode, marathons, etc.

On a side note, I'm really curious if this game will have hard saves like Fallout 3 or if it's pure autosave. If they put a hard save option in there, that's going to completely break the level of immersion they are going for.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
The trophy list is out already. However all but five are secret. One is see all endings.

F that. There is like 30 of them!
Sounds like Way of the Samurai 3, like 30 different endings - game just drove me nuts. I think I did 4 and stopped. Playing the same game over and over again just to get a few different cutscenes is just bad game design.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM

I love trophies but I think that the idea of "Heavy Rain" is perfectly ok for this kind of game.

I donīt regard "Heavy Rain" as a traditional game and I guess if you do that you will probably be disappointed with it and label it as a lame quick-time-event-fest.

For me it is more kind of a mix of a movie and a game and as that it seems fantastic and is one of the titles I look most forward to! So the idea of delaying trophies seems very suitable for the experience. In my opinion it would even be okay if they just gave you the trophies after playing through the whole game, as it would increase replay value and tension even more :-).

Quote:
Playing the same game over and over again just to get a few different cutscenes is just bad game design.
Huh? So a unique experience with multiple outcomes = bad game design? Could not disagree more. No one forces you to play every different outcome, but it is cool to have the option as long as the endings feel "suitable".