Thought on pre-ordering? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Thought on pre-ordering?

Just wanted to see what everyone here thought about pre-ordering, and where you do it from. I know we have a lot of Amazon people and Gamestop people.

I used to go to Game Crazy for the longest time, became a regular. They screwed me hard on a preorder once on Banjo: Nuts and Bolts (Came with download code for Original Banjo on XBLA). Only 2 people preordered it, and after a long amount of discussion and arguing I found out that an employee took it.

So I stopped going there, went to Best Buy/Target/ect. to pick up games day one with no problem.

I recently started going to Gamestop again, because they pre-order deals for Mass Effect, Bioshock, Battlefield, ect are just too tempting to not do.

But every game I get, I worry that I will get screwed on the preorder code.

What are your stories/thoughts?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Amazon's been offering a lot of $10 credits for pre-ordering.. I believe that 5 or 6 titles I've preordered this year have had the promotion, so it's almost like getting a free game..

On the downside, I didn't get Mass Effect 2 delivered until 6:30 PM, which kinda sucked..
Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
Amazon's been offering a lot of $10 credits for pre-ordering.. I believe that 5 or 6 titles I've preordered this year have had the promotion, so it's almost like getting a free game..

On the downside, I didn't get Mass Effect 2 delivered until 6:30 PM, which kinda sucked..
But how much are you paying for shipping to have it on release day? That's the only downside I've seen with Amazon. If you do super-saver it could take a week or two. But if you're paying $10 for day 1, it defeats the purpose of the $10 gift card.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

if you have a prime membership you get it on release day for free
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
But how much are you paying for shipping to have it on release day? That's the only downside I've seen with Amazon. If you do super-saver it could take a week or two. But if you're paying $10 for day 1, it defeats the purpose of the $10 gift card.
To answer your OP, I use Amazon. I use them for the convenience more than anything, but obviously the occassional $10+ credit and random exclusive preorder bonuses are nice perks. Another reason I use them is because they offer some pretty nice trade-in prices so I can send my games back to them and put that credit toward the next game.

In regards to shipping, I found myself using Amazon so much last year (not just for games) that I decided to pay the $79 (or whatever) for Prime this year. It gives me free release date delivery on games and two-day shipping on other items. The cost of it is negated by what I'd pay for normal shipping if I wasn't on Prime and also I don't pay taxes on Amazon. The savings add up.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM

i have moved the same $5 pre order over at gamestop to about 20 games now depending on pre order bonus

currently it's sitting on god of war 3 so i could get the demo but i'm sure i'll cancel that and move it to something else
Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i have moved the same $5 pre order over at gamestop to about 20 games now depending on pre order bonus

currently it's sitting on god of war 3 so i could get the demo but i'm sure i'll cancel that and move it to something else
That reminds me I have $10 floating around over there from when I "preordered" Uncharted 2 to get the early access to the MP beta.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM

So Prime is $79 a year? Is that the normal price? I don't use Amazon a ton, but If I made it my main video game purchasing place I'd use it a lot more.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
So Prime is $79 a year? Is that the normal price? I don't use Amazon a ton, but If I made it my main video game purchasing place I'd use it a lot more.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the regular price.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
79 a year or it's like $9.99 a month (which is what i do), when i get my tax money back i'll most likely just pay for the whole year to save the $40