Conequences of video games and problems, school project - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Conequences of video games and problems, school project

So i was wondering if you guys could help me with a school project i have. Basically i have to talk about the progression of videogames/ the influence they have/ the problems they face/ the benefits theyve brought etc. I'm interested in what some of the more "Core" gamers have to say about the matter. Im already talking about the Wii and its implications and how the video game industry is growing and changing direction.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM

Too broad. Ask some more specific questions.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Too broad. Ask some more specific questions.
Yes.

Also - I'm assuming this is a kollege paper?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM

It is a high school summative presentation on media. Im talking with my group right now abotu what direction we want to go in with this.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Some ideas.

Benefits:
Few things advance technology as quickly as do video gaming. What else at a consumer level requires faster computers and more powerful video cards at this pace? Now it seems consoles are pushing forward with streaming media for film and television.

Creates lots of jobs in a rapidly growing industry.

Games were in high definition long before home video was. In fact it could be argued that video game consoles carried a huge influence in the adoption of Blu-Ray and high definition televisions.

Challenges:

Still trying to get over the stigma that video games are juvenile and immature.

Progression:
Games have moved into all kinds of different ways of interacting with the media. You can use a wheel for Forza, a drum set or guitar for Rock Band, Touch screens, motion controls, and with Natal, controller-less cameras that capture your bodies movement.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
So i was wondering if you guys could help me with a school project i have. Basically i have to talk about the progression of videogames/ the influence they have/ the problems they face/ the benefits theyve brought etc. I'm interested in what some of the more "Core" gamers have to say about the matter. Im already talking about the Wii and its implications and how the video game industry is growing and changing direction.
There is much to say about MMO's and the economies and communities that have formed around them. When virtual possessions, which are nothing more than a series of 1's and 0's stored on a database somewhere, are being exchanged for real currency, it's a definite phenomenon.
Would also be interesting to examine extreme fanboyism. I think one of the best examples lately is how FF13 went from being the highlight of this generation for many sony fanboys to a mere backseat title to FF13 Versus, which stayed PS3 exclusive and became the TRUE FF of this generation.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Some ideas.

Benefits:
Few things advance technology as quickly as do video gaming. What else at a consumer level requires faster computers and more powerful video cards at this pace? Now it seems consoles are pushing forward with streaming media for film and television.

Creates lots of jobs in a rapidly growing industry.

Games were in high definition long before home video was. In fact it could be argued that video game consoles carried a huge influence in the adoption of Blu-Ray and high definition televisions.

Challenges:

Still trying to get over the stigma that video games are juvenile and immature.

Progression:
Games have moved into all kinds of different ways of interacting with the media. You can use a wheel for Forza, a drum set or guitar for Rock Band, Touch screens, motion controls, and with Natal, controller-less cameras that capture your bodies movement.
All fair points.

To add -

The community. This is the first time that gaming with people in different countries or different nationalities is so easily accessible. You could also expand on this by including people of many different social, ethnic, and religious classes coming together as one while enjoying video games. PC gaming certainly had a head start on these types of things, but the relative low-price and accessibility of the home video game console has rapidly expanded these things. Socializing with someone in a completely different country while enjoying a video game together was relatively unheard of just a few short years ago.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
You might also mention as one of the problems the 'addictive' qualities of video games. When I did a research paper in college for a psychology class, it was on the Pavlovian stimulus/reward system that video games share with gambling such as slot machines.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
You might also mention as one of the problems the 'addictive' qualities of video games. When I did a research paper in college for a psychology class, it was on the Pavlovian stimulus/reward system that video games share with gambling such as slot machines.
definetly this. Specifically achievements and trophies.

Also, a key point is the advancment in interacive entertainment that can far surpass the immersion of any movie or book.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:42 PM

You could always argue that video games are art and prove it accordingly, citing said examples or going even deeper which I'd suggest.