Microsoft Xbox Challenges Cable TV - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Microsoft Xbox Challenges Cable TV

I just saw a piece about foreign PS3s getting a DVR addon, now this and then the MS talks with Disney.
Obviously If the XBox does it the ps3 can as well, unless prevented by legal agreements of exclusivity.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...e-tv/19321876/

Quote:
Microsoft (MSFT) is about to make a load of new enemies, this time in the cable TV industry. It plans to use its Xbox Live as a means to stream movies and TV shows into people's homes. If the extremely ambitious program eventually works as planned, customers could have no need for their cable TV.

The New York Times reports that Microsoft is already in discussions with Disney (DIS) about streaming some of its programming, particularly some ESPN content. The paper writes "The roughly 20 million monthly members of Xbox Live can surf Facebook, browse an online mall of movies and TV episodes and, if they pay, watch Netflix." That makes the the Xbox community one of the largest "cable TV" companies in the U.S. Comcast (CMCSA) currently has 25 million cable TV subscribers.

The battle over premium content will become very complex if Microsoft's plan begins to take hold. Fox recently had an angry dispute with cable distribution company Time Warner Cable (TWC) over the fees the cable firm would pay Fox. The negotiation between the parties threatened to interrupt consumer access to major network content and was only concluded at the last possible moment to prevent a loss of customer service to Time Warner subscribers.

The Xbox plan may give programming companies leverage with the cable firms. Microsoft has evolved its game platform so that it is becoming a potential alternative to the cable guy. Microsoft has been known to spend billions of dollars to enter a market and try to dominate it. That means programming companies like Fox may have new negotiating leverage with cable companies for distribution.

Microsoft's challenge is to get its 20 million plus Xbox Live customers to view the device as an alternative to cable. That may prove extremely difficult; consumer habits die hard, and cable TV has been the dominant force in video to the home for over two decades. But even if Xbox Live fails as a distribution platform for films and TV, it could still cost cable companies a great deal to negotiate for programs given the enormous size of Microsoft's wallet.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Interesting since Comcast is to buy NBC, so not sure if they could get NBC content.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM

I hate the cable companies. And satellite companies as well.

A cable/satellite company's business plan:

Phase 1: Give new customers really good prices.

Phase 2: Fuck over current customers by charging almost twice as much as the intro rate.

Phase 3: Profit.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Seems to conflict with why Microsoft offers SkyTV to us in the UK and the US will soon have something similar with AT&T's uverse digital TV service.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM

NY Times is also running an article on the subject
Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Those pricks will just try to up the Live charges... hopefully there is an option to not get the content, or maybe they will make it a pay thing in addition to gold.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Those pricks will just try to up the Live charges... hopefully there is an option to not get the content, or maybe they will make it a pay thing in addition to gold.
All I can say is that if the hardware isn't reliable, I certainly don't want it as my 'cable' replacement. My DVR hasn't died once in the 5 years I've owned it, and I can't say the same of my 360. Plus, would you really want to share your game HD with your DVR and movies, especially as tightwaded MS is with selling harddrive space, and the prices you pay for it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Or maybe it will just fall into the gold members.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
All I can say is that if the hardware isn't reliable, I certainly don't want it as my 'cable' replacement. My DVR hasn't died once in the 5 years I've owned it, and I can't say the same of my 360. Plus, would you really want to share your game HD with your DVR and movies, especially as tightwaded MS is with selling harddrive space, and the prices you pay for it.
You are exactly right! I have been through five Xbox 360s, so they are not reliable at all. Hopefully my new one will be better and will actually last.

You are also right about their storage prices. It is absolutely robbery what they charge.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM

If this means I can watch Naruto Shippuden via xbox stream bring it on.

Right now it's only disney satellite (yes I watch the sub online but still)