I have a great idea for Microsoft and Sony - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 AM

Default I have a great idea for Microsoft and Sony

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and I told him that Microsoft should set up Xbox Live gold accounts so that you can save games to Microsoft servers instead of a memory unit or hard drive. This would allow you to use your saves anywhere you can recover your gamertag, it would make it much easier to change systems, and you would know that you would never lose your game save data.

Sony should do the same thing... either company could have a big hit on their hands with this. I know it would cut into some accessory sales, but it would be a big selling point, I think.

Anyone think this is a good idea, or does it just suck out loud?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM

That exact idea, along with an OS level video capture function are rumored to be in the pipeline as new features for Gold members. I suspect as soon as we see Sony get a party chat feature, we might see an announcement from MS with something like that.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Nah, the idea doesn't suck. Well - as long as there is also a way to keep saves locally, just in case the 'cloud' isn't available for some reason or another.

Just FYI - there were a few questionnaires circulating a month or so back in regards to a tiered Sony online system, asking people what kind of features they would pay for, and your idea was one of the questions expressed.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
That exact idea, along with an OS level video capture function are rumored to be in the pipeline as new features for Gold members. I suspect as soon as we see Sony get a party chat feature, we might see an announcement from MS with something like that.
Ahhhh, excellent!

I thought of that idea when I bought the Call of Duty edition Xbox and had to move a ton of game saves manually... it sucked ass! I called Microsoft to get a transfer cable and they told me that they didn't have any and I would have to wait and call back until they finally got one, as they would not backorder them.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Nah, the idea doesn't suck. Well - as long as there is also a way to keep saves locally, just in case the 'cloud' isn't available for some reason or another.

Just FYI - there were a few questionnaires circulating a month or so back in regards to a tiered Sony online system, asking people what kind of features they would pay for, and your idea was one of the questions expressed.
Well, although I am not original I am happy to hear that both the companies already have the idea!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Why did you leave Nintendo out? Playa hatin'
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Why did you leave Nintendo out? Playa hatin'

Fuck Nintendo.

I bought my son a Wii the first christmas they were on the market and it has gotten MAYBE 40 - 60 hours of total play since.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post

Fuck Nintendo.

I bought my son a Wii the first christmas they were on the market and it has gotten MAYBE 40 - 60 hours of total play since.

Haha....Even the little one recognizes a piece of shit when he sees one, eh? Seriously though, is there a reason he doesn't play it? Seems like there are a ton of games on the wii that would keep a little kid enamored for quite a while with it. Is he just used to seeing what you play and wants to play what daddy plays or what? Just curious
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Haha....Even the little one recognizes a piece of shit when he sees one, eh? Seriously though, is there a reason he doesn't play it? Seems like there are a ton of games on the wii that would keep a little kid enamored for quite a while with it. Is he just used to seeing what you play and wants to play what daddy plays or what? Just curious
He has played the Resident Evil games on there, House of the Dead, and Boom Blox... and Wii Sports.

He has just hated the controls on most games. It seems that all you really do is flail your arms around wildly until something happens on screen. He is very interested in Natal though, perhaps he likes to flail around with all four limbs.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM

I suspect that one way or another, the idea of could based space for game saves will show up by the end of this generation because there is significant data we need to carry to the next round of consoles. If I can't take my progress in competitive shooters like Call of Duty and Killzone, that would make me think twice about buying a PS4 or Phoenix.