Sega Wanted DC BC in the Xbox... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Sega Wanted DC BC in the Xbox...

Microsoft is so stupid for not buying Sega and making them a 2nd party developer... this is only one of the great things that would have come from it.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM

I read about this the other day. It wouldve been great for them and IMO wouldve helped them in Japan.

Also MS did try to buy SEGA but SEGA backed out at the last min. This was like a year after the xbox came out. I read that somewhere.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
Microsoft is so stupid for not buying Sega and making them a 2nd party developer... this is only one of the great things that would have come from it.
How does that make them stupid? Buying Sega would cost a fortune with minimal returns. DC backwards compatibility would -not- be as popular as you think. Not even close.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
How does that make them stupid? Buying Sega would cost a fortune with minimal returns. DC backwards compatibility would -not- be as popular as you think. Not even close.
Quoted for excessive fact.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It would have been given the time it was suppose to occur. The DC sold quite a bit and that would have been a rather large selling point.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Had Microsoft bought sega they would have had exclusive access to a rather sizeable chunk of retro gaming. They also would have had further say over the glut of crappy Sonic titles that have came out over the years, and instead may have provided better focus on core titles rather then the sheer volume of crap. A few examples of how this may have been profitible for MS...

-No retro Sega games on the Wii, cutting into the selection and appeal of the wii shop channel.

- Exclusive rights to Sonic and other sega franchises... (Think if this would have happened in 2001/02, prior to the release of crap game after crap game)

-Exclusive access to sega games on xbox live.

-Ability to lock up exclusive hits like the recent Bayonetta, Madworld, etc..

Besides this, removing one more developer further limits the other consoles library's and potentialy add's more exclusives. Also, Microsoft purchased Rare because they believed they would become a powerhouse developer.. something that never manifested, however with Sega's knowledge and years in the industry, I'm certain the partnership would have produced profits.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

I doubt it. If they weren't profitable to run their own console, how do you think they would be profitable to MS? Sonic is dead. It's sad but true. How many outstanding games have Sega released this gen? Bayonetta, Valkyrie Chronicles? Right now that is all I can think of. Would Sega have been able to hire Platinum Games to make Bayonetta if they were owned by MS? Who knows.

Buying everyone out isn't always the best way to do business. And I am of the opinion that buying Rare was a bad move. They were already pretty much dead when they did. Rare hasn't given MS anything of value this gen. Perfect Dark Zero sucked. Kameo was passable (seemed better at the time since it was a launch title), Banjoe Kazooie tanked. Their 2 best games are Viva Pinata and those didn't sell too well either. Aside from that, they designed the Avatars. Big whoop. Could have been done by any artists.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM

The problem has been the lack of money that Sega has had access to. Sega has been trying to budget their time and money, and been very, very careful. Who's to say that the wallet of MS wouldn't have helped them? I think it's silly to think it wouldn't have. I'm sure if they had the funds Smilebit would still be around.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
The problem has been the lack of money that Sega has had access to. Sega has been trying to budget their time and money, and been very, very careful. Who's to say that the wallet of MS wouldn't have helped them? I think it's silly to think it wouldn't have. I'm sure if they had the funds Smilebit would still be around.
Of course it would could have helped Sega. That doesn't mean it would have helped Microsoft.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Of course it would could have helped Sega. That doesn't mean it would have helped Microsoft.
It probably would have. I mean, the list that TripleHBK listed demonstrates quite a few ways in which it would have helped MS. It would have given them instant access to massive back catalog of games. They could have made quite a bit of money off them. Not too mention, the quality of Sega's efforts would have been improved, and probably would have translated to higher sales.