Next gen consoles: do we really need them?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Next gen consoles: do we really need them??

I have been reading some bits of info here and there in various mags and Internet sites as to what the next round of consoles could be. I have to be honest here...do we really need another round? Just seems like that there really is not much more than can do graphic/performance wise and still calling it a ''console''. If we thought the introductory price for the PS3 was too high, can you imagine what the next console will cost?? The 360 had, I think it is fair to say at this point, red ring ''issues'' at it's introduction to the consumer that they still have not got the issue fully resolved yet. What does the next gen system hold for us..more headache and extended warranties?? Dont get me wrong..I think the PS3 and the 360 are awesome for everything they offer. But, I just dont see why we need another round of next gen consoles or what they can do and still make it affordable for consumers?? I read somewhere that Sony is working on a disc technology that could hold a terabyte!! That is a 1,000 GB on a single disc!! Blu-ray holds 50 Gb dual sided in comparison. I cant imagine the problems and mandatory updates a game system would have playing a disc that has that much storage capacity??!!??

Personally...I think the future is the online service. All we would need is a hard drive and you register with whatever brand service you prefer (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and whatever other service providers that can offer game, movie, and exclusive down loadable content. I can see Sega of old coming back in a big way with this method). The costs would be better for the consumer vs buying a console and $60+ games.

Just curious to hear your guys (and gals) opinions about this.

Thanks to all responses!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm excited for the next gen consoles, but don't want them for another two years.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Yes, and the sooner the better for me. As a tech geek, I can wait for the kinds of games we'll be seeing next gen.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM

I'm fine with what i have for quite a while. Technology does move at a faster rate, of course, but we are still a little ways off from seeing the true potential of these consoles. I don't think it will take quite as long as the ps2 era to get the full experience out of them, but i still think we are at least a year or two out from seeing the best these consoles have to offer.

I believe we are still, at minimum, one or two more console generations away from fully digital/downloadable gaming. The infrastructure just isn't there (in our country) and won't be for probably another 12 to 15 years.

I'm excited, but..I'm not exactly holding my breath. I took a pretty long layoff from gaming, so when I got back into it with these current-gen consoles, the visual/technical leap was very very impressive to me.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM

No need right now. Games look and sound great now. Every year we are awed by the new games this gen.

I'd rather the next gen takes it's time to release quality hardware. No RROD or YLOD bullshit.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm happy to wring more out of the money spent on this gen for now, but in a couple of years, sure. I'll be ready.

That said, if somehting badass was to come out in a couple of months I know damn good and well I'd be checking into it, but ALOT of the value I get from gaming now is based on gaming with friends on Live, so whatever comes out will have to have an adoption rate that supports getting my buddies moved over as well or it won't be worth it for me.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Also, any new console would need a bunch of killer apps at launch to gt me to buy day 1 again.

I bought my 360 on launch and I only had COD2 that was worth anything. It was a long wait until Oblivion and then there wasn't much out until Gears of War. The Ps3 also took almost a year to get anything good on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I'm very curious to see what's next around the bend, but I'm also quite content with current generation hardware/ software.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM

I think we're well into the point of diminishing returns anyway. I just don't see the improvements the next generation will have really making a very exciting difference in the quality of games. Sure there's justification for a next gen, but where's the benefit for the one after that?

Barring some new invention, such as holographic projectors, or a major renaissance in the field of AI, what could really tax the next generation? Sure you can stick more objects on the screen, or have large environments loaded into memory. But there comes a time when you're only doing that for a bullet point on the box and it won't really effect the user's enjoyment.

I'd recommend the console makers focus on making their next gen console as easy to develop for as possible and bunker down for a very long generation.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
I think we're well into the point of diminishing returns anyway. I just don't see the improvements the next generation will have really making a very exciting difference in the quality of games. Sure there's justification for a next gen, but where's the benefit for the one after that?

Barring some new invention, such as holographic projectors, or a major renaissance in the field of AI, what could really tax the next generation? Sure you can stick more objects on the screen, or have large environments loaded into memory. But there comes a time when you're only doing that for a bullet point on the box and it won't really effect the user's enjoyment.

I'd recommend the console makers focus on making their next gen console as easy to develop for as possible and bunker down for a very long generation.
I think enhanced AI and 3d will be pretty much the successor.