PS3 Media Streaming Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Default PS3 Media Streaming Question

Ok I know this isn't game related, but I'm putting it here hoping for a quick suggestion rather than another sub-forum where it will go no where. Mods, if this is not acceptable I apologize.

So for no apparent reason, streaming music on my PS3 has started working. I've been getting DLNA errors every time I try. Sometimes it wouldn't even load up the folder names when I drilled down in the tree. Last night while browsing around in the OS, I happened to try it and it actually worked.

So here is my question: Is there a way to choose to play all tracks by an artist? Also, is there a way to tell the PS3 to put tracks in order of their track listing? Mine arranges the file names by alphabetical order which makes it kind of useless to me.

I have my Music folder on the PC arranged like this:

Documents
>Music
>>Artist
>>>Album

It seems like the only thing I can do is drill down to a specific album and hit play on a track, then use L1 and R1 to skip back and forth. But again, it puts the tracks out of order because it's sorting by name, not track number. And when I go to an artist and hit Triangle, the only options are info and copy. I don't have a "play artist" option.

The 360 seems to work much better for streaming since at each level of the tree I have a "play all" option, and it actually orders tracks correctly. But the menu is ugly since it's just a Window Media player skin. When listening to music I would much rather watch the Earth animations on the PS3, but only if it's user friendly.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Ok I know this isn't game related, but I'm putting it here hoping for a quick suggestion rather than another sub-forum where it will go no where. Mods, if this is not acceptable I apologize.

So for no apparent reason, streaming music on my PS3 has started working. I've been getting DLNA errors every time I try. Sometimes it wouldn't even load up the folder names when I drilled down in the tree. Last night while browsing around in the OS, I happened to try it and it actually worked.

So here is my question: Is there a way to choose to play all tracks by an artist? Also, is there a way to tell the PS3 to put tracks in order of their track listing? Mine arranges the file names by alphabetical order which makes it kind of useless to me.

I have my Music folder on the PC arranged like this:

Documents
>Music
>>Artist
>>>Album

It seems like the only thing I can do is drill down to a specific album and hit play on a track, then use L1 and R1 to skip back and forth. But again, it puts the tracks out of order because it's sorting by name, not track number. And when I go to an artist and hit Triangle, the only options are info and copy. I don't have a "play artist" option.

The 360 seems to work much better for streaming since at each level of the tree I have a "play all" option, and it actually orders tracks correctly. But the menu is ugly since it's just a Window Media player skin. When listening to music I would much rather watch the Earth animations on the PS3, but only if it's user friendly.

Any ideas or suggestions?
No, the PS3 doesn't have any way of 'arranging' things that aren't directly on the hard drive. It would be a nice future addition to add for sure. I think if you wanted to do something like that, you have to create folders yourself and organize them that way on the PC.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Ok. I was hoping that would not be the case, but was also pretty sure it was. Bummer. Back to the 360 for music.

Thanks Godstar!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ok. I was hoping that would not be the case, but was also pretty sure it was. Bummer. Back to the 360 for music.

Thanks Godstar!
The other problem with the PS3's music streaming is that it doesn't play any mp3 files that I've downloaded, yet my 360 plays those same tracks just fine. It could be an issue with my set-up though. I use Rivet to stream music from my I-Mac. The music tracks that I ripped from CD's play just fine on both consoles.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
The other problem with the PS3's music streaming is that it doesn't play any mp3 files that I've downloaded, yet my 360 plays those same tracks just fine. It could be an issue with my set-up though. I use Rivet to stream music from my I-Mac. The music tracks that I ripped from CD's play just fine on both consoles.
You can use Tversity and it transcodes mp3's and iTunes msic for you. Still, you can sort or organize it though.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

What software are you using to steam music to your PS3? Different DLNA streaming software arranges files for you in different ways based on the ID3 tags in the files. I think my Windows Home Server uses Windows Media Streaming. I want to say that the next level down from Music is composed of Album, Artist, and Category. You should be able to drill down the Artist tree and play all the music in one folder. Make sure that your artist's ID3 tags are all exactly the same down to the spaces and punctuation. I can double check when I get home as I don't remember exactly how things are arranged off the top of my head.

EDIT: Another thing to check is press Triangle while you are playing the first song to bring up the controls. I think there might be a button there that plays all tracks instead of playing only one track at a time.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
What software are you using to steam music to your PS3? Different DLNA streaming software arranges files for you in different ways based on the ID3 tags in the files. I think my Windows Home Server uses Windows Media Streaming. I want to say that the next level down from Music is composed of Album, Artist, and Category. You should be able to drill down the Artist tree and play all the music in one folder. Make sure that your artist's ID3 tags are all exactly the same down to the spaces and punctuation. I can double check when I get home as I don't remember exactly how things are arranged off the top of my head.
I just turned on the share option in Windows Media Player. I'm not running any software. I was reading over stuff on the PlayStation boards and that's what people said to do. At the time I did so, I had just gotten my new PC. I spent 2 hours that night changing around options on both my PS3 and PC and never got it working right. The next day I got up and turned on the 360 to play Gears and a messaged popped up saying "Oh hey, we see you have a new Vista media server. Want to stream your media library to the 360?". I hit the go button and it's worked without issue ever since. Not to mention I can play my music while I'm playing a game.

So yeah, if I have to change settings on my router or install/run some software to make the PS3 do what the 360 does automagically, no thanks. That earth animation is cool, but not worth more than a few posts in a forum.

Quote:
EDIT: Another thing to check is press Triangle while you are playing the first song to bring up the controls. I think there might be a button there that plays all tracks instead of playing only one track at a time.
Well, once I start play on a song, I can hit the R1 and L1 buttons to skip between tracks in that folder. But at the folder level (music not playing), I don't have a "Play Album" or "Play Artist" option.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So yeah, if I have to change settings on my router or install/run some software to make the PS3 do what the 360 does automagically, no thanks. That earth animation is cool, but not worth more than a few posts in a forum.
No. No. No. Not talking about anything additional. I'm essentially running the same thing you are. And configured it the same way.

Quote:
Well, once I start play on a song, I can hit the R1 and L1 buttons to skip between tracks in that folder. But at the folder level (music not playing), I don't have a "Play Album" or "Play Artist" option.
I'm talking about pressing Triangle (or maybe it's Select) while the Earth visualization is playing. It pops up a bunch of controls that you can scroll through with the D-Pad.

Anyway, I agree that the 360 does all this soooo much easier and it's great to be able to play music while you're playing in ALL your games.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
No. No. No. Not talking about anything additional. I'm essentially running the same thing you are. And configured it the same way.
Ok yeah. I've had people tell me I should run a third party app to make it easier on the PS3. I thought maybe that's what you were talking about.

Quote:
I'm talking about pressing Triangle (or maybe it's Select) while the Earth visualization is playing. It pops up a bunch of controls that you can scroll through with the D-Pad.
I know pressing triangle during movie playback will give me the virtual menu, but I don't think it does anything when I'm playing an mp3. Will check when I get home because I'm Curious George.

Quote:
Anyway, I agree that the 360 does all this soooo much easier and it's great to be able to play music while you're playing in ALL your games.
Yeah I always heard Xbots tout that as some big feature over the PS3 and I thought it was dumb. Then I decided to get the full 1550 points in Fallout 3. Oh-My-Shit was that game so much easier to grind when I could put on Lamb of God and just crunch through the quests. Now I use that all the time.

Being able to highlight the Frank Sinatra folder and hit play on 400+ songs during the holidays when I had family over was really nice as well. No switching CDs in and out of trays or putting the camera down to mess with the remote. Love it.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
You can use Tversity and it transcodes mp3's and iTunes msic for you. Still, you can sort or organize it though.
I'll try it if the PS3 ever supports in game music streaming. I mostly use music streaming while playing xbox 360 games so the current set-up works for me. Like someone mentioned, it's great for Fallout 3. That's probably the game that I've used it on the most on since the regular game music is pretty boring and the radio stations get repetitive.