Dead Space 2- this time.... It's war! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Dead Space 2- this time.... It's war!

Job listing reveals sequel is in "later stages of pre-production" for PS3, 360 at EA's Visceral Games studio; same "core team" in place.

The day after the Wii spin-off Dead Space Extraction shipped, news has surfaced about the next installment in the main Dead Space series. A job listing posted by Visceral Games, Electronic Arts' recently rebranded Redwood Shores studio, reveals that development on a follow-up to the acclaimed 2008 original will begin shortly.

Posted by EA Senior Recruiter Jeff Ballard, the job listing is for a "Lead Combat & Controls Designer at Visceral Games." The internal studio is "Seeking a highly motivated lead combat designer for the Dead Space franchise on Xbox 360 and PS3." No mention is made of a sequel to the PC version of Dead Space, which has sold a disappointing 36,000 units domestically to date, according to the NPD Group.

Later on, the listing describes the project in more detail, all but confirming it as Dead Space 2, and not a spin-off or side project. "This M-rated action/shooter sequel will set new standards for an action-packed story-driven console experience," reads the listing. (Emphasis added.) It then goes on to detail how far along the project is, saying. "The game is in the later stages of pre-production, ready for production in the next few months, with many of the navigational and combat mechanics in place." (Emphasis added.)

The listing also declared that the "same core team" which crafted the critically lauded Dead Space be working on the sequel. The mention should reassure fans of the series, given recent high-profile departures at Visceral. In July, the studio's COO Michael Condrey and General manager Glen Schofield, an early champion of Dead Space, abruptly left to head up Activision's new San Francisco Bay Area studio. The San Mateo-based shop, which may be called Sledgehammer Games, is working on an established property for the Guitar Hero and Call of Duty publisher.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6230743...dlines;title;1

"n their quests to save humanity, gamers have squared off against all kinds of monsters, mutants, and zombies. With so many experienced veterans holding the controller, is it possible for game developers to design monsters that can make even survival horror aficionados cower in terror?

Ian Milham, art director on Dead Space 2, guides us through the process of creating one of the new abominations that Isaac will face in the follow-up to the 2008 horror hit. You’ll see the early designs, find out what didn’t work, and see how the process resulted in what players will eventually see in the game.

Remember that most of these designs are from the conceptualization process, and won’t be appearing in the finished product. Even the “final” version may change, given that there is plenty of time between now and the game’s ambiguous future release date.

"The original Dead Space did a lot of stuff great, but we also had to fall back on some game design standbys. Like kill doors – eliminate all the enemies and they open. We’re trying to figure out ways to have players slow down and be a part of the world that are organic and logical and not artificial game design. This is an enemy that’s designed to do that. He’s called the Flytrap, and he’s basically half environmental hazard and half enemy. All they told us was that travels along the ceiling and dangles down – lures – to try to snare you. He’s not static – he is a live thing, and he has additional states. First, you’ve got to dismember his lure. That shocks him and gets him on the ground. Then he gets wild, kind of like a fish flopping on the ground, except he’s still dangerous. We’re still playing around with what that means."

"One of the notions key to Dead Space is that the Necromorphs have an improvised terribleness to them. They’re people that have been broken and twisted into something else, but done so violently and improvisationally. The idea we have is almost like this infection has a plan about what it would like the thing to become, but can’t quite get the body there and makes due with what it is. Instead of teeth, it’ll have bone shards that have broken into teethy things, but they aren’t literally teeth. Instead of wings, it’s stuff that’s been bent backwards and stretched. Some of the problems with the things early on were that they look too evolved. They look like monsters. We don’t want anything that looks like an evolved organism, because that just blows the whole purpose. Here, we’re starting to feel that a little bit more. The mouth isn’t really the mouth; the spine has been split. There’s something interesting there."

"There’s a certain pathos here, without being so literal. We loved this sketch. We went from there, and started doing a lot of details on him. Remember this sketch for later; somewhere along the road to final, he turned into a goofy monster, and then we went back to this sketch and brought it forward."

"We started to really feel this one, but it’s getting a bit too far into “Rarr! I’m an evil monster!” The lure is starting to get too thorny and too literal. We really liked the ones that looked more like a sack of guts. I’ve always been much more a literalist on the horror stuff. We’re trying not to get too occult. Not Hellraiser and Candyman."

"We’re zeroing in on this. This is what we thought was a final. There are couple aspects this that didn’t work. The arms form an angle; we lost all the magic from the sketch we loved, and we decided it was the slack. This is an evil roof spider, clacking across the ceiling. The sketch was drippy, has loose skin. He would be motivated to move by his wrists marionette-style, rather than “Oooh! I’m comin’ at ya!” like this guy."

"This is the final vibe. It’s interesting – this isn’t a particularly complicated dude when you get down to it. It’s surprising that it would take that long to get back to this, but sometimes you have to go over the edge before you get back to where you need to be."

I cant wait!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Isaac's new suit... Some concept art.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Plot and more details here from game informer!

Three years have passed since the events of the original Dead Space. It seems poor Isaac can't get a break. He escaped alive from the Ishimura, but his mind came off twisted and haunted by the monsters he thought he escaped from. His task isn't finished though. The necromorphs thought to be terminated have resurfaced for some unknown reason, but not on some lowly illegal mining ship. The break-out is taking place on a largely populated space station which has no suspecting idea what's going on. The government has some massive scheme once again related to the Marker, and Isaac is the only man who knows how to kill these things, so Isaac is back to take on terror upon the massive space Station, the Sprawl.

Now for an interesting bit which I'm not sure fans will like or hate. It seems the makers are aware that people in the first game could only play 30 minutes to an hour always on the edge something was going to happen all the way through. Speaking as a horror fan that was fantastic, but the director talks about pacing. In other words, they clarify they are definitely not going to take any of the horror from the original game, in fact they aim to make it even scarier, but with better pacing. In other words, they want there to be times you feel and are more powerful than the enemies you're facing thanks to some new gun, or a situation you get the leap on your foes. However, they also want situations where it feels you have to do the impossible, cornered, scared, confused and fighting to merely live. They also say they want to put more "epic" moments in the game, and jokingly talk about fighting bosses from the inside, surfing on top of a tram, and fighting a giant Sphincter. These could be real situations or they could be mere jokes, but whatever the case they are planning for some epic moments. However, they also set out to make a scary game, and they want you to know that. They are trying to make monster comings less predictable, but won't say much more than that except they all worked as a team to make many genuine scares in the game, many original scares, and not just something popping out and loud sounds playing. They also want to make missions a lot more intuitive and interesting and not just fetch quests. More puzzles are also going to be implemented, and figuring out what to do.

Zero-Gravity is also changed up. Yes you can still run on walls and jump from railing to railing, but if you jump too far Isaac can actually take control of his direction and start drifting through space. By this he can shoot while in the air and direct the direction he's drifting in.In other words, you won't just be jumping from point to point but also drifting around in these segments.

They are trying new and diverse environments to keep things interesting in this game. The Sprawl makes the Ishimura look tiny, the Sprawl is an "organic, haphazardly constructed, long-term place that's built around the remaining shards of one of Saturn's moon-The first planet-crack ever. Like any real city it is not all built by one person. Some stuff was built up, and some areas, corporate areas, government areas, and public areas." That Ian Milham guy (the art director of Dead Space) sure knows his stuff. Anyways, we'll be going through shopping malls, schools, churches, and a lot more. They also say since it was a more public place, a place where people lived, there won't be a bunch of hallways and locked doors this time. Not saying there aren't, of course, just also a good change of environment. And Isaac won't just be coming to a dead land, he will be seeing the infection from the very beginning. He's there when the outbreak begins, and he's there when all the panic and terror begins to strike the ship. Apparently they want to go with a strong sense of watching the outbreak get worse and worse and more and more people dying and more and more Necromorphs showing up the further you get into the game.

Isaac will also be introduced really for the first time. Though we played as him, his character is left very much into the backseat with very little actually known about him. For those who love anonymous avatars be warned, though for the rest of us be glad. Isaac will be speaking in this title, he will have dialogue, and he will have character. He won't just be a man with no opinions doing everything he is told to do, he does have a mind and will, even if a big part of that is now a bit twisted in the head. He is seasoned in fighting the necromorphs and he is a veteran at fighting them, even put in charge of necromorphs by the people just because he survived the attack, people around him looking for a savior will turn to Isaac just because he lived. Isaac is out to make a difference, but can he stand the pressure put on him along with his continuously twisted mind? Apparently we're going to have to make the call, Isaac's judgment is not in the right light, his mind is still twisted from the first experience he had, and it's only getting worse. As it comes along, the difference between reality and craziness may be harder and harder to differentiate. Also they want to make a bigger sense that Isaac hates doing task for other people as much as you do, especially when it feels like you're the only one doing any work like in the first game. Also they want Isaac's suit upgrades and customization to be much more vast and visually different this time, with much more customizable options and different styles and looks.

But now an important part of any horror game, the enemies. They say that the last game feels a lot like a haunted house; The enemies are always in the closet out to get you. In this one they want it to feel a lot more cat and mouse; You're after them, but they're also after you. You both are on the hunt for the other, and a lot more deeper approach. They want the enemies to be a lot smarter this time. We got the basic Necromorphs looking more twisted and bloody than ever, but we also have some new enemies never before seen. One that sticks out are dead naked children with no lips; Their teeth grin as they run around, super long claws on their hands and eyes sealed shut. They pounce on Isaac and try to pierce him with their claws. Another new monster is a skeleton of a man... Literally! His insides come out of his skin and start flopping it's way towards you. Even more yet is a tentacled man who has giant pinchers for hands and his esophagus hanging out like a giant tongue that grabs you and drags you to it so it can cut you to tiny pieces with it's claws. Then there's the Stalker, an enemy that hunts in packs. The Stalkers make a chirping noise, and may quizzically and shyly peak out at you from around the corner. Cute maybe, but it's all just a prowl, as this one distracts you a whole group comes from behind and starts piercing into your body. They are too quick to shoot and chasing them is bad since they will usually lead you to a group of them that will pounce you at once but you've got your own ways, like maybe purposely leading them into a pre-set proximentary mine field set up by yourself? It's up to you to be strategic.

Oh and there's a lot of new weapons too. They realized lots of people complained about the Plasma Cutter being too good through the whole experience. The response: Not to nerf the Plasma Cutter but to make the other weapons more awesome and the enemies more powerful. A few shown off are the likes of the Javelin Gun, which shoots enemies and pins them to the wall. Shoot a Necromorph in the chest for instance and if it rockets far enough back to make it into a wall, the Necromorph will be stuck to the wall, pinned down. The environments are also more immerse with a lot more to them, so there will be a lot more to pick up and use with your telekinesis this time. They even are working on making Telekinesis more smooth and helpful for combat, making it quicker, more fluid, and precise. An example is Isaac picking up severed blade and tossing it at a nearby Necromorph.

The controls have also been refined to be able to maneuver and control better. The game being more open overall and able to run around more and be in charge of combat lead to finer controls so you can go and make a strategy and try to be the first on the assault, and not always be the hunted. He can move a little faster, and a little more refined, but they say they are definitely still keeping it in the horror-genre way. The Dead Space and Halo series are still worlds apart. They ensure they are not trying to make Isaac a super hero, a guy who jumps, flies around and punches enemies like no ones business. They just want the controls to not be a hinderence, to feel like your failure is your own and not that of the controls. What a nice way to put it.

They also aren't saying anything, but they say they really enjoyed the process of making the animated movie and comics and would like to continue it.

And multiplayer? He only gives us a tease. "All I can say is it's really fun, and you'll get to strategically dismember your friends." Player versus human-controlled Necromorphs, anyone?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Man this looks even better. I hate to say it but as much as I love sandbox games, keep this game on rails! Fighting (surviving) in a city, being able to blast airlock doors, and suit changes are great editions.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM

After just beating the first one last month, and being way late to the party on this series, I can't wait for a sequel!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Seems that whole paragraph about controls was almost a hit on Resident Evil 5 haha. I prefered Dead Space to RE5 myself and look forward to a sequel.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Loved the original game,thought it was a whole lot better than RE5. Count me in for a day one purchase. Now I have to find time to play the original again.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM

I agree that Dead Space was better than RE5. I would even say it's the best survival horror since RE2.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I agree that Dead Space was better than RE5. I would even say it's the best survival horror since RE2.
I dunno about that. Fatal Frame 2: Director's cut on the Xbox was shit my pants scary. However I was often uneasy in Dead Space, enough so that I needed to take breaks from the game. The first hour or so had me scream like a girl a few times.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I would have to agree. The only other games I could say that made me scared or jump often were the Codemned games. I would definitley say that DS was better than both of those though.