PS3 HD/hardware question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Default PS3 HD/hardware question

Because ppl don't read the death thread enough.

Sum up situation:
PS3 turns off (0 electricity) when playing LBP w/ 3 or 4 players. It has only happened under that scenario. I have played infamous for 5 hours and watched a movie after the first time this occurred (2 days ago and then last night).

So...will this work:

I intend to:
-Remove my PSN from the PS3 (acct deactivate or w/e)
-Take out the 320GB HD
-Put in the ORIGINAL 60gb HD
-Put it in the coffin that should be here today or tomorrow
-Put 320GB HD in the new PS3 that I will probably get

OR do I have to use the backup function. I wanted to avoid losing my Demon's Souls and other locked save data.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM

You should be fine as long as they don't change the CPU/machine on you. If they do, then it could change what they use to determine which machine the save files belong to. I would just be safe and backup everything to your big hard drive. I don't think there isn't any reason you couldn't do that, and just import it after you get your new PS3 back.

That sucks it's having issues, sorry to hear it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

You will have to back it up.
It will prompt you to format once it is in a diff machine.
If you get the same machine then this is a moot point.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 AM

I have no idea what's going to happen b/c this is such a weird problem, ugh. Goodbye Demon's Souls save.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
I have no idea what's going to happen b/c this is such a weird problem, ugh. Goodbye Demon's Souls save.
If they give you back your same PS3, your Demon's Souls save will be restored 100%. So try to ask them specifically for this.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
If they give you back your same PS3, your Demon's Souls save will be restored 100%. So try to ask them specifically for this.
And just to be on the safe side, why not just copy the save to a USB drive? Does Demon Souls lock out trophies if you transfer the save from a USB drive to a new PS3?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
And just to be on the safe side, why not just copy the save to a USB drive? Does Demon Souls lock out trophies if you transfer the save from a USB drive to a new PS3?
Some saves you can't manually copy at all (e.g., Killzone 2).

Some saves you can copy, but when you start it up on a different PS3, the game complains and doesn't accept the save file (e.g., WipEout HD).
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM

hmm, I transferred games saves to a new PS3 via USB drive a long time ago and the only save that I lost was Motorstorm. My MGS4 save, among several others worked just fine as long as I was logged in with the same PSN ID. But this was before most games had trophies.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
hmm, I transferred games saves to a new PS3 via USB drive a long time ago and the only save that I lost was Motorstorm. My MGS4 save, among several others worked just fine as long as I was logged in with the same PSN ID. But this was before most games had trophies.
Correct. Most pre-trophy games have no copy protection. MGS4 are totally free to copy.

The only one I lost when restoring a backed up PS3 hard drive to another PS3 was KZ2. (Which was luckily fine, as I had beaten the shit out of that campaign already.) LBP and WipEout HD transferred over fine -- and they both had a certain level of copy protection if copied manually.