OnLive Beta Demostration (7 Months After GDC) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Default OnLive Beta Demostration (7 Months After GDC)

So to preface this post, I did a search for OnLive up in the forum search box and didn't really find a good place to post this too so I made my own thread. I don't remember seeing any blogs or postings here that picked up on this presentation from mid-November so I don't think I'm double-posting anything.

This showed up on a GAF thread yesterday. It's a presentation to students done by Steve Perlman @ Columbia University showing a version of the OnLive beta and discussing the compressions tech, hardware, and other aspects of the OnLive service running I think they said on servers about 250 miles away. It's long, but there's some good information on the service, how it works, and what the company is doing to fight such things as hardware iterations, working around lag, and what to charge for such a service. Should be good for some discussion here. You can even get a glimpse of the service running on an iPhone. I would have loved to have been there to pick Steve's brain about the service.

http://tv.seas.columbia.edu/videos/5...autostart=true
Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Here are the other OnLive threads we have, if anyone is curious:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...live-beta.html

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...investors.html

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...h-console.html

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...available.html
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM

If OnLive delivers what they claim, it'll be badass for gamers, and has potential to hurt some in the industry, mainly the console makers.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM

I have to admit, the Columbia demo answered a lot of questions and doubts I had...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 PM

heh...phyiscal media ftw. i like collecting things personally. just me
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM

i totally back this new tech, and totally back playing games this way. Hope it ends up working as well they are saying its going to.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Do you ever own games under the new system?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinred View Post
I have to admit, the Columbia demo answered a lot of questions and doubts I had...
That's why I wanted to post it after reading bits of some of the other threads that James linked to. Personally, I haven't heard anything really substantial since the GDC presentation back in March. Which I think does OnLive a dis-service since what's probably going to happen is that they are going to launch in the next few months and people are still going to be skeptical having not heard about it for over a year. The only people that know exactly what the experience is like are the few thousand beta testers that have been using the service since August. Especially since they have been working on this service for 6 years from the sound of it. They have done a lot to overcome many of problems that happen because of how the Internet works, but I don't think they have done a very good job communicating that without sounding like a snake oil salesmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
Do you ever own games under the new system?
It depends on what you definition of "own" is.

I mean there a people out there that say that even though you paid money to possess a physical DVD, you can't legally do anything you want to it.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Do you own games similar to Steam or is it always a pay to rent type thing?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maley View Post
Do you own games similar to Steam or is it always a pay to rent type thing?
One of the students during the Q&A at the end of the video asked Steve this. He said there will defiantly be monthly fee and that will get you access to the service and unlimited demo content. Then publishers will be given the option on what to charge for their games (either rental or purchase). You'll own them like you do on Steam where you can access any of your owned games from any client (browser, micro-console, iphone app) except that there's nothing to install.