Can someone help me figure out what the heck is wrong with my 360? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Can someone help me figure out what the heck is wrong with my 360?

So I was watching an episode of Buffy the other night. All was normal. Then the picture went all funky on me. Almost like it got animated. it stayed like this for three minutes, then bam. The 360 shut off. I turn it on. I get the start up sound but no picture. I've tried it on several tvs and I still cant get picture, and now the sound is cutting out as well.

any ideas?
I just got L4D2 and Infinite Undiscovery for christmas!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
So I was watching an episode of Buffy the other night. All was normal. Then the picture went all funky on me. Almost like it got animated. it stayed like this for three minutes, then bam. The 360 shut off. I turn it on. I get the start up sound but no picture. I've tried it on several tvs and I still cant get picture, and now the sound is cutting out as well.

any ideas?
I just got L4D2 and Infinite Undiscovery for christmas!
Can you try hooking it up via HDMI, if your 360 has the port?

Also, be sure the switch on the HD component cables is correctly positioned. That switch is deceptively easy to flip and I've done it a few times, myself.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Can you try hooking it up via HDMI, if your 360 has the port?

Also, be sure the switch on the HD component cables is correctly positioned. That switch is deceptively easy to flip and I've done it a few times, myself.
Tried it on HD and SD set-ups. still nothing. It's bizarre. And I checked the switch to. Your right that little bugger is deceptive, but alas that is not the case here.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Tried it on HD and SD set-ups. still nothing. It's bizarre. And I checked the switch to. Your right that little bugger is deceptive, but alas that is not the case here.
Strange and interesting problem. I can't tell if you responded to the affirmative or negative on HDMI, though.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Take off the HDD and boot it up, could be a RROD (one of mine wouldn't actually display the RROD unless there was no HDD).
Old 12-26-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi View Post
Take off the HDD and boot it up, could be a RROD (one of mine wouldn't actually display the RROD unless there was no HDD).
I'll have to do this...

I'll be pissed off. It'd be my second RRoD and I'm out of warranty now. So that would mean no more Xbox for me. Ever. Which sucks. But I guess I'll get a good PC if it's RRoD.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 PM

well, if you still have an xbl gold membership you can do the 'game for windows' concept. basically play pc games that are for 360 on ya pc and you still get achievements and all that other good stuff.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM

I removed the HDD and nothing. I switched it to an SD tv and this time I can hear everything. But I still can't see anything. Maybe it's the cable?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

It sounds like it could be the cable. I believe it will show up as a "2 red light" if there is an internal problem with the A/V. I'm not 100% sure though.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I removed the HDD and nothing. I switched it to an SD tv and this time I can hear everything. But I still can't see anything. Maybe it's the cable?
That's what I was going to post after reading the first few entries here. Usually if the 360 shits out, it's RROD or E74. I've known a BUNCH of people with dead 360s and I've never heard of the problem you are describing.

If that doesn't do it, the Video port on the board may have gone out. Again, this would be the first I've heard of this out of hundreds of broken 360s. Be sure to let us know what you fine. I are curious.