End of Eternity demo live in Japan - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM
HDD Contributor

Default End of Eternity demo live in Japan

That is to say, if you have access to a Japanese 360 or Playstation account, then the Japanese demo for "Resonance of Fate" went live today. I'm downloading it now. Impressions in a while.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 PM

I have no clue what this is.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
HDD Contributor

It's a new post-apocalyptic JRPG by Tri-Ace, done by the same guy that did Valkyria Profile 2, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. The combat is another one of those hybrid, pseudo-turn-based affairs, but it's all with guns.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Hmm...downloading now...

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Do they have you play the start of the game, or did they pick some arbitrary parts to show off?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
Do they have you play the start of the game, or did they pick some arbitrary parts to show off?
Just finished it. It's not the start of the game, they drop you somewhere in the middle of it. There's very little in the way of cutscenes, actually you only really see any towards the end. The segment in the demo seems to be a gauntlet of sorts you have to run, because you're continually moving from one chamber to the next, learning the basics of combat.

I've been reading quite a bit about this game, so I was familiar with the combat in concept, but I can see how it would be confusing as hell if you didn't read Japanese. The entire combat scheme is based on guns, and it's a turn-based system of sorts, but it works similar to Valkyria Chronicles in that when you move, enemies can pick you off, but once you've engaged in your turn, you're locked down to whatever actions and enemies you focus on.

Basically, you pick a direction you want to run in, and use the D-Pad to select your targets from the ones available in the direction you want to go. Once you begin your run, a charging circle appears around your selected target and when it fills, you hit square to jump into the air, and then hit X repeatedly to do some crazy Matrix Gun Fu in the air. There are two types of damage, "regular damage" which is considered "permanent" and doesn't do a ton all by itself. Regular damage is dished out by Zephyr and Reanbell, the older guy and the teenage girl respectively. Then there's "scratch" damage which is dished out by Vashyron, the teenage boy. "Scratch" damage inflicts a ton of damage on the enemy, but it's actually temporary, and starts "counting down" once Vashyron's turn is over. However, whatever scratch damage is inflicted can be made permanent by a follow up attack from one of the other characters.

I dunno how it'll be in the full game, but eventually you get into a rhythm of inflicting scratch damage on enemies with another character to make it permanent. There's also grenades that can be tossed. The aerial shooting moves are incredibly crazy. It's wire work gone berserk the way they twist around in the air while gravity ignores them for waaaaay too long.

I'm intrigued by what I played. I don't love it yet, but definitely don't hate it. I'd need to see more in English to understand what the exact mechanics of combat before I make a judgment, but from what I sampled, the combat actually works so far. Doesn't seem to broken, but then I barely understand how it works right now.

And the art direction is pretty good. I'm not sure how it stacks up on a technical basis, but the character designs, mo-cap and environments seem all right so far.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Just finished it. It's not the start of the game, they drop you somewhere in the middle of it.
Thanks, but I'll pass in that case. I'm extremely phobic of spoilers. I refuse to even go into the Final Fantasy XIII thread because there's too much information about the game.

If it's a game I already know I want to play, I won't even look at the cover art on the box until I've already finished the game. (Not kidding in the slightest.)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStroms View Post
Thanks, but I'll pass in that case. I'm extremely phobic of spoilers. I refuse to even go into the Final Fantasy XIII thread because there's too much information about the game.

If it's a game I already know I want to play, I won't even look at the cover art on the box until I've already finished the game. (Not kidding in the slightest.)
Fair enough. Although unless you understand Japanese, the cut-scene present doesn't actually appear to reveal a whole lot. Some minor character development (I would assume, I have no clue what they were saying to each other) that took place in an outdoor environment. That's about all I could guess at really.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Fair enough. Although unless you understand Japanese, the cut-scene present doesn't actually appear to reveal a whole lot. Some minor character development (I would assume, I have no clue what they were saying to each other) that took place in an outdoor environment. That's about all I could guess at really.
I do understand some. But even if I couldn't, simply seeing the characters would be more than I'd want for the same reasons I avoid cover art. For one, you all but know those characters are immortal at least until you reach the point from the demo.

It's like that with box art. Say there's a scene in the opening moments of the game where a character they've introduced is in apparent mortal danger. But wait a second, I remember seeing him on the box art. If he died in the first ten minutes, they wouldn't have put him there. Obviously he's going to be around for quite a while and is therefore in no real danger.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 PM

I really enjoyed the demo. I've had it preordered for a while based on Takayuki Suguro since Vagrant Story is my favorite game of all time. The demo sealed the deal.