Backlog Woes - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Default Backlog Woes

So I've had a backlog of games for a while now, and this is the first time in 20 years of gaming I've let this happen. Typically I'm really methodical in the way I spend money, and I don't buy a new game until I've finished with the current one. This generation is different because I actually have money now, but less time to play games.

Currently in my backlog, I've got:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - Campaign half finished on normal, no co-op done
Wipeout HD & Fury - Played enough to know I like it, maybe 5% compete
Resident Evil 5 - Played for an hour, would like to do multiple runs
Valkyria Chronicles - Played for an hour, been waiting for Trophy patch
Uncharted - Need to do a Crushing difficulty run
Uncharted 2 - Need to do a Crushing difficulty run
Bioshock - Brass Balls run to get the final achievement I'm missing
Tales of Vesperia - Half way through this
Modern Warfare 2 - All Spec Ops, lots of MP, campaign on Veteran
Trine - Played it for 20 minutes and got distracted with Borderlands
Farcry 2 - Played maybe 3 hours, got distracted with something else
Pixel Junk Eden & Encore - My trophy progress is at 5%...
Shatter - Half finished
Braid - Half finished
Halo 3: ODST - Firefight achievements, Vidmaster Challenges, Audio Logs
Gears of War 2 - Lots of leveling and Horde to get Dark Corners achievements
Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge - Played for 3 hours, would like to finish
Torchlight - A couple hours into this

I look at that list and just get bummed out. I would really like to finish all of it, but when I get the controller in my hand, I just lock up and can't make a decision. This is all made worse when I look at the games I missed this year like Batman, L4D2, and Assassin's Creed 2. Not to mention Mass effect 2, Dark Void, FF13, and Alan Wake are just around the corner. And Dead Space 2, Halo Reach, and a bunch of other cool stuff later next year.

At this point I'm either going to have to commit to playing all of my backlog and missing a bunch of games, or just planning to let a bunch of games pile up and run way long with the PS3/360 into the next gen of consoles. Any thoughts or advice?

P.S. I know I sound like a bitch complaining about having too many games to play, but it's been on my mind lately and I wonder if anyone else is in the same position.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Unless you are an achievement/trophy whore, you can probably cut out a number of those titles considering you have at least beaten them.

Also, I get into trouble with downloadable stuff as well. I find that I buy it, play it pretty heavy for about two days and then completely forget about them for some reason.

I'd focus on full games you haven't finished yet and slowdown on the downloadable games.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
HDD Contributor

The only real suggestion I can offer is to stop buying games for a while. It's the only practical solution. Money is obviously not the problem here, time is. I only have a tiny backlog of games compared to you (Assassin's Creed 2, Afrika, Eternal Sonata and the Fallout 3 DLC) but I can see how even that small pile could grow considerably if I got too crazy with purchases.

We're in a weird position this generation of games. December is really the only "break" in gaming we get, because the avalanche starts up all over again in January starting with Bayonetta (well, at least for some) and just continues through February and March and well into summer, swan diving right back into the 3rd quarter avalanche for Christmas.

There are just too many games coming out now to be reasonably played unless you have nothing to do every day EXCEPT play games all day. Since most of us aren't in that position, the only other alternative is to cut back. That's always the way it goes; when you're young, you bemoan the lack of money to get all the games you want. When you get older, money's not the problem, time is. And in a way, time is more important.

I'd say just cut back. Unless you're talking the rare good game that tanks and becomes hard to find (I'm thinking Valkyria Chronicles and likely Yakuza 3 next year) most games will be easy to find and likely cheaper to buy if you wait. You're better off thinking to yourself, "I feel like getting a new game today, I've got nothing new," than "I'm paralyzed by indecision at the monster pile of un-played/finished games staring me in the face."
Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
So I've had a backlog of games for a while now, and this is the first time in 20 years of gaming I've let this happen. Typically I'm really methodical in the way I spend money, and I don't buy a new game until I've finished with the current one. This generation is different because I actually have money now, but less time to play games.

Currently in my backlog, I've got:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - Campaign half finished on normal, no co-op done
Wipeout HD & Fury - Played enough to know I like it, maybe 5% compete
Resident Evil 5 - Played for an hour, would like to do multiple runs
Valkyria Chronicles - Played for an hour, been waiting for Trophy patch
Uncharted - Need to do a Crushing difficulty run
Uncharted 2 - Need to do a Crushing difficulty run
Bioshock - Brass Balls run to get the final achievement I'm missing
Tales of Vesperia - Half way through this
Modern Warfare 2 - All Spec Ops, lots of MP, campaign on Veteran
Trine - Played it for 20 minutes and got distracted with Borderlands
Farcry 2 - Played maybe 3 hours, got distracted with something else
Pixel Junk Eden & Encore - My trophy progress is at 5%...
Shatter - Half finished
Braid - Half finished
Halo 3: ODST - Firefight achievements, Vidmaster Challenges, Audio Logs
Gears of War 2 - Lots of leveling and Horde to get Dark Corners achievements
Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge - Played for 3 hours, would like to finish
Torchlight - A couple hours into this

I look at that list and just get bummed out. I would really like to finish all of it, but when I get the controller in my hand, I just lock up and can't make a decision. This is all made worse when I look at the games I missed this year like Batman, L4D2, and Assassin's Creed 2. Not to mention Mass effect 2, Dark Void, FF13, and Alan Wake are just around the corner. And Dead Space 2, Halo Reach, and a bunch of other cool stuff later next year.

At this point I'm either going to have to commit to playing all of my backlog and missing a bunch of games, or just planning to let a bunch of games pile up and run way long with the PS3/360 into the next gen of consoles. Any thoughts or advice?

P.S. I know I sound like a bitch complaining about having too many games to play, but it's been on my mind lately and I wonder if anyone else is in the same position.
Yeah for me I need to deal with my TV plus I was thinking of just buying a G10 once it goes down to $1K for a 46" or 50" model. I'm not in the mood to wait for a 1080p OLED.
Consider this effects my BR watching as well. At least one of these laptops I'm looking at for school and video editing may alleviate that somewhat so I have a backlog twice. This doesn't include one PC game I have. I also plan on adding a Doujin Japanese game that looks as if it was inspired by Akumajo Dracula X(SOTN).
So right now my BR backlog is: "Snow White"(plan on getting the Pinocchio Steelbook), "The Third Man", "In the Realm Of the Senses", "Black Book", "Tekkonkinkreet", etc. I have more but I can't recollect the rest right now.
For games I have: "The Darkness", "Mirror's Edge", "Killzone 2", "Bioshock"(PS3), "Dead Space" and "Final Fantasy XIII" is coming. Also, what else am I thinking? "Himmelsturmer Soldier-X"(PC) and the DJ Max LE(had to have the pedal).
Shoe speaking of games that may become hard to find I'm thinking I may buy at least TWO of the Sakura Taisen reissues on the PS2 given the pricing for all the LE includes. I figure it's going to get a low print run and the Japanese will make it worth more as well as the LE part. I figure regardless if the translation is botched most gamers won't care as it'll be the ONLY US version of "Sakura Taisen" EVER brought over to the U.S. Look how much people pay for shitty translations because they're the only versions.
Heck maybe I'll grab two extra versions. I plan to keep one for the LE material and I'll probably sell the game itself as long as the packaging isn't special or anything.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Right now, I have Assassin's Creed 2, Demon's Souls, Fallout 3 DLC, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Brutal Legend on my backlog.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
HDD Contributor

Right now I'm looking to limit my day 1 purchases to White Knight Chronicles, Yakuza 3 and Red Dead Redemption. I might go for Heavy Rain on day 1, but it's sandwiched in between White Knight and FFXIII, which is kind of dangerous.

I want White Knight, because it's got online co-op, I want Yakuza because I know it will tank and be hard to find, and I want Red Dead Redemption because it's... well, it's a Western. With the exception of Heavy Rain, all the other games, I more or less know what I'm getting into, and there's no hurry. I still haven't played Uncharted 2 yet.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM

shoeless Eternal Sonata is not worth your time. That game was overrated IMO. After about 10 hours it just gets worse & worse and boringly repetitive.

The first 10 hours or so is fairly engaging, but it just gets inflated and the world gets dead & drab.

I had to force myself to finish it.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
shoeless Eternal Sonata is not worth your time. That game was overrated IMO. After about 10 hours it just gets worse & worse and boringly repetitive.

The first 10 hours or so is fairly engaging, but it just gets inflated and the world gets dead & drab.

I had to force myself to finish it.
Well, it's a JRPG. I'll force myself through it, though the lack of trophies means I'll probably just finish it, rather than doing every single sidequest and every single item.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:09 PM

i've got a lot, i'm not listing it

plan is to work through COD MW2 & dragon age at the same time, hopefully have at least one playthrough of dragon age done by january, then finish up my mass effect playthrough before the sequel comes out
Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM

I've been working through my backlog and actually cut it down considerably, lately.

Still up:

Tales of Vesperia: Finally started this up again and should finish it within a week.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Played about 5 minutes.
Dragon Quest VIII: Probably about 50% through, but it's been so long since I played I should probably just start over or I'll have no idea what's going on.
Atelier Iris: About 10 hours in, but the same as Dragon Quest VIII.

I also just decided to abandon a few games I don't feel are worth finishing. Maybe I'll sell them just so I don't feel bad about abandoning them.
Eternal Poison
Enchanted Arms
Suikoden Tactics