Interplay defeats Bethesda over Fallout - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Interplay defeats Bethesda over Fallout

I'm sure Vsions will find this interesting if he didn't already know about it. I'm not sure if Bethesda has planned to do a Fallout MMO, but it appears that can only be done by Interplay now.

Quote:
Bethesda loses Interplay court battle

Bethesda Softworks has failed in its attempt to have an injunction served against original Fallout 3 license holder Interplay, as a US District Court Judge finds in Interplay's favour.

According to court documents discovered by fan website Duck and Cover the judge's decision will mean that Interplay is still free to publish the original three PC titles (Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics) and the Fallout Trilogy compilation.

Interplay will also be free to continue work on its massively multiplayer online version of the franchise, currently known as Project V13.

Eric Caen, brother of Interplay boss Herve Caen, referred to the decision on Twitter by commenting: "I love justice!"

Bethesda had claimed that Interplay had broken the licensing agreement between the two companies, dating back to August 2007, when it failed to consult the company over the packaging design and marketing for Fallout Trilogy.

Making the compilation available via Steam and other download services has also angered Bethesda, who claim that customers could become confused between the compilation in particular and 2008's Fallout 3.

The status of Project V13 has also been a bone of contention, with Bethesda claiming that because full scale development on the project has not yet begun the rights to make a Fallout MMO should revert to them.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...y-court-battle
Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Bethesda: The New Activison

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Bethesda: The New Activison

Not unless they buy Interplay and then shut them down. They aren't there, just yet.

Last edited by Godstar; 12-14-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM

It takes a while to become as cold blooded as Bobby K.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM

So what Interplay tries to tell us here is:

"FU, Fallout fans. You will never have your Fallout massively multiplayer experience. We are hardly even existent and will most likely go bankrupt before finishing the first 3 quests. Hehehehe Hahaha Ho Ho Ho"
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I'm sure Vsions will find this interesting if he didn't already know about it. I'm not sure if Bethesda has planned to do a Fallout MMO, but it appears that can only be done by Interplay now.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...y-court-battle
cant really comment on it. It is interesting, but there are always appeals
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

This is probably too simple a way to look at it, but it just seems like Interplay wanted nothing to do with Fallout and got rid of it, then someone else shows it can still be big so now they try to get their piece.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM

I have to say I understand Bethesda's position. Didn't they purchase the rights to Fallout? So WTF?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM

looks like bethesda is going to take over id's Rage too

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1055327p1.html

Quote:
Bethesda Picks Up Rights to id Software's RAGE
Electronic Arts no longer primary publisher.
by Jim Reilly
LATEST IMAGES
View all 10 images
LATEST VIDEO
View all 9 videos

December 15, 2009 - This morning, ZeniMax Media Inc., parent company of both Bethesda Softworks and id Software, announced it has picked up the publishing rights to the upcoming post-apocalyptic, first-person title RAGE.

Electronic Arts, the original publisher, announced a publishing deal for the title at E3 2008, but it appears the company has given up the rights all together. EA will not be involved in the sales or marketing of the title.

The announcement also notes development of RAGE has not been affected by this new deal.

ZeniMax Media acquired developer id Software back in June 2009.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
I have to say I understand Bethesda's position. Didn't they purchase the rights to Fallout? So WTF?
Interplay still owns Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics and they have rights to make Fallout MMO... Bethesda was trying to rain on em for making their games available for sale online via DL and packaging all 3 together. Would folks really mistake Fallout Trilogy for Fallout 3?

As far as the MMO goes... as long as Interplay is working on it... and they never agreed to any time tables... well tough shit for Bethesda. Bethesda was shopping around a Fallout MMO but Interplay has the rights to it. I guess if Interplay abandons the MMO the rights revert to Bethesda but Interplay insists they are still working on it.