PSP Questions & Advice - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Default PSP Questions & Advice

So here's the story: I have a launch PSP 1000 that I bought off a friend when he needed some cash. I've used the machine very sparingly, mostly on road trips I've taken for work, and recently I decided it was time to do something with the machine. My first thought was to sell it. I spend almost all of my time at work or home and if I'm at home, I'm going to play a console game on my 50" TV, not on my 4" PSP.

Anyway, I've tried selling the machine twice now on craigslist and both buyers have flaked out on me and stopped returning my calls. I guess I could go back and get a hold of some of the other people who responded, but it got me thinking about the PSP and questioning weather I should sell it or not. The real kicker here is that right now, I work M-F with a bunch of other people in the office. But starting in January, I'll move to T-S schedule and that Saturday, I'll be all alone in an office with very little to do. Basically I'll be there "just in case", so I figure it might be a good idea to keep the PSP around to help pass the time on those days.

Alright, so all of that said, I started looking at the PSN storefront for the PSP and a few things struck me:

1. I didn't know PSOne games would work on the PSP. This will be huge for me.

2. There are an assload of PSP games on the store now. I guess the Go actually did do something good for us.

3. I already have a handful of PSN games I've bought that say they will run on the PSP.

Now I need to get a new Memory Stick as I still have the original 32MB card that came with the system. But once I get a new card, how would I put something like Echochrome on my PSP? Do I connect the PSP to the PS3 via the USB cable and transfer it? Or do I just go to the PSN storefront on the PSP and download it once I've setup my profile on the machine?

Also, are there any issues or pitfalls with having two copies of the same game on two devices? If it's a game that doesn't have trophies, I'm not worried about having it on my PS3, but if it is, obviously I would want to have it on the PS3 for that reason.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post

Now I need to get a new Memory Stick as I still have the original 32MB card that came with the system. But once I get a new card, how would I put something like Echochrome on my PSP? Do I connect the PSP to the PS3 via the USB cable and transfer it? Or do I just go to the PSN storefront on the PSP and download it once I've setup my profile on the machine?
Both of those methods work, you just have to use whatever your main purchasing account is on your PS3 and register your PSP to your PS3, then login to the PSN network like normal and click on the store. You can do either of your options, downloading directly from the PSN to the PSP or downloading on the PS3 then copying over to the PSP.

Also, are there any issues or pitfalls with having two copies of the same game on two devices? If it's a game that doesn't have trophies, I'm not worried about having it on my PS3, but if it is, obviously I would want to have it on the PS3 for that reason.
Only possible problem that would occur is that if you separately download it twice, as in buy and download then go back to the store to download again on the other device, you will have used up one of your 5 extra downloads. But that only applies to PSOne games as PSP games are just made to be copied over from the PS3.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Sounds like you have it down though! Go get a big memory card off of amazon, I got two 8 GB Sandisc cards 5 months ago for $23.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM

While what DLG is probably true, those sorts of activities aren't endorsed here.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
While what DLG is probably true, those sorts of activities aren't endorsed here.
ok yeah I wasnt sure but besides "that" but as for the OP's question. I haven't bought any PSP games as downloads only UMDs but I guess you download them to your PS3 where they will be displayed as PSP games and you select them when you want to transfer them to your PSP
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Well, there's a difference between piracy and hacking. I'm all for the hacking of the PSP and creating ones own PSone games. Sony isn't going to create downloadable ISOs of all their titles. If I want to play Fear Effect on the go, I could.*

*Well, probably not because I believe the controls require the use of all four shoulder buttons.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Well, there's a difference between piracy and hacking. I'm all for the hacking of the PSP and creating ones own PSone games. Sony isn't going to create downloadable ISOs of all their titles. If I want to play Fear Effect on the go, I could.*

*Well, probably not because I believe the controls require the use of all four shoulder buttons.
I agree with you, but I prefer playing SNES roms on my psp, if it were hacked. But that would be wrong.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

The same holds true for both Oddworld titles, yet Sony released them.
The 2 additional shoulder buttons are emulated by the analogue stick, though I have to say that this was all but a bright idea (someone gotta show me how they move with around with the digital and at the same time pull of actions equipped to the left or right direction of the stick).
Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 AM

You can of course purchase stuff directly on the PSP store front. You can also download anything you've already purchased (up to 5 times or something like that), regardless of where you purchased it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
The 2 additional shoulder buttons are emulated by the analogue stick, though I have to say that this was all but a bright idea (someone gotta show me how they move with around with the digital and at the same time pull of actions equipped to the left or right direction of the stick).
Oddworld did very well in the early days of the PSone. They aren't some "odd" title that lacked a fanbase.

Fear Effect is one of those "fell through the cracks" type of titles. It's pretty much a Point and Click but with Action and Action Controls (think old RE controls but on crack). The puzzles are pretty well thought out, and require you to pay attention to the scenery. It also happens to have not aged very well in the "control department". They are pretty much unplayable by today's standard. I can't play them without cheats, as I do not have the mindset of 1998 anymore. Still worth playing, as they are exceptionally pretty/unique (in terms of creativity), and the "they don't make them like they use to" holds true in both the positive and the negative.

Not too mention I think the controls use all four shoulder buttons. You can't play them on the PSP if that's the case.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
You can also play the games on the PS3 though.