EA shuts Pandemic shut down... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Default EA shuts Pandemic shut down...

So far thats:
Origin
Westwood Studios
Bullfrog

which they've bought and closed down within a year or two.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/the-s...will-continue/
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM

What the heck is happening to the gaming industry?

Lucas Arts and Telltale decide to kill Guybrush Threepwood. EA Mythic lays off half of it's production team and now the demise of EA Pandemic.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
What the heck is happening to the gaming industry?

Seriously though, at the same time we have Modern Warfare 2 breaking all previous sales records across all media platforms, Halo ODST and Uncharted 2 selling millions, and new IPs like Borderlands and Dragon Age doing very well. This is very much the "go big or get the fuck out of the way" type of environment for the entertainment business.

I think the net result is we will see more and more tiny developers releasing small games on Digital services like Steam/XBLA/PSN, and the disc based releases will be the big hitters from the big publishers. I think this road intensifies as we move into the next gen and by 2015 when next gen is in full swing, we truly start to see the erosion of physical media sales by digitally distributed content. I don't think the same will happen for movies, but games I think we will.

Specific to EA, they tried a ton of new IPs last year during a market that had too many heavy hitting games for their products to compete. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge just couldn't compete with Fallout 3, Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead (as surprising as its sales were...). They bet big and the Return On Investment (ROI) wasn't enough. Add to that the near collapse of the economy and I'm surprised these lay-offs didn't happen during the summer.

Hopefully they will refocus their efforts and recover. Best of luck to all those loosing their jobs.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Problem is games cost more to make these days. It doesn't help that the competition is a lot tougher then it used to be now that the PC and console markets have for the most part merged.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM

i will kill everyone at EA if they kill Bioware
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Problem is games cost more to make these days. It doesn't help that the competition is a lot tougher then it used to be now that the PC and console markets have for the most part merged.
Yeah, pretty much this. As gamers we expect a lot more from our games, but that translates into some pretty sky high budgets with demanding returns on profit. Games that have budgets in the tens of millions can no longer afford to sell "Just okay" anymore, they have to be blockbusters.

Unless you're Atlus, in which case you make super cheap games that sell Just Okay, but pull in enormous profit.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Yeah, pretty much this. As gamers we expect a lot more from our games, but that translates into some pretty sky high budgets with demanding returns on profit. Games that have budgets in the tens of millions can no longer afford to sell "Just okay" anymore, they have to be blockbusters.

Unless you're Atlus, in which case you make super cheap games that sell Just Okay, but pull in enormous profit.
But wasn't it always this way like 5-10-15 years ago? There was always a cutting edge and better, so I don't see how the game industry has changed outside the Hollywood style expectations the publishers have now.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
But wasn't it always this way like 5-10-15 years ago? There was always a cutting edge and better, so I don't see how the game industry has changed outside the Hollywood style expectations the publishers have now.
Man-power wise? No, it wasn't like this 15 years ago. Of course, games weren't the mainstream entertainment they are today, and technology wasn't what it is today either. 15 years ago, cut-scenes in PS1 games looked inferior to the in-game graphics we have today. Games like FFVII and FFVIII could easily be done now in 100% real-time.

But 10-15 years ago, I don't think any game had a budget of 25-30 million, whereas now, the AAA titles routinely hit that mark, and so demand an appropriate level of profit to match ROI. Games also didn't take 2-3 years to make, whereas now we routinely accept that it's going to take that long. Look at the bloated gestation periods of Alan Wake or FFXIII.

Expectations have changed dramatically. Like I was saying in the Dragon Age thread, we're actually complaining about how ugly the graphics are in that game, whereas a mere 5 years ago, it would have been a visual tour de force, and it takes an enormous amount of staff and money to create even that. I don't think it's just the expectations of the publishers, it's also the gamers that have created this situation. The bar is constantly being raised, but the means to hit or exceed that bar aren't progressing as rapidly.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
i will kill everyone at EA if they kill Bioware
Bioware always makes great games so I'd think they're safe.

I can't help but think that if Mercenaries 2 did better last year, this may not have happened.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM

yeah i'm with you guys, they fuck up bioware, we can riot

snad, bane, myself, all big dudes, i'm sure we could strong arm someone at ea and get our way