Anyone looking to play FF6 again?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Default Anyone looking to play FF6 again??

So I'm about to betray how much of a nerd I am. For about 2 years I slaved over a more balanced version of FF6(ie Special abilities became useless once you snagged yourself Ultima + Economizer) so I sought to fix that, while adjusting the power levels of enemies. I even made it possible to encounter the Czar Dragon, an unused enemy in the game. He is ridiculously hard(but beatable) and I also threw Omega Weapon into the mix. I modeled Omega more after his FF5 and FF8 counterparts and I am pleased with the result.

That said, I can only test how effective my edits are so much. I did the editting so what should come as a surprise to you isn't to me and that definitely affects the experience. Then I thought to myself, "I need a few people who are about as much of a nerd as I am for this. I know, some of the HDD guys will help me out." And thus you are reading this.

I also added New Game + cause it was awesome in Chrono Trigger and all games should have it.

The most notable change is that the final boss now has in excess of 1,000,000 HP so get your equipment right and grab a sandwich, this is going to be a grueling fight.

I would really appreciate some testers. The game isn't really harder, but I did shuffle around some things so that special abilities don't get over shadowed by the generic Econ + Gem Box + Ultima combo. The readme has a more complete list of changes.

Lemme know if you are interested..
Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Is this for PC? (Might be a noob question but I am new to the "edit" scene.)
Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 PM

It's a rom hack. You'd use my editted rom and an emulator like ZSNES or SNES9x to play it.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM

The rom I send to people will be, as far as mechanics go, complete and ready to play. I am still trying to find time to make some cosmetic changes(attack and item description changes mostly) but it isn't anything that will change the experience of the game in anyway. In the future, I will have a full rom and a separate patch. The SRM save files WILL be compatible with all versions of the hack, past, present, and future, so there is no chance of losing progress in this beta test should I send out a patch to ya'll.

Send me PMs, e-mails, replies to this thread, smoke signals, or any other kind of line of communication regarding problems you find and lemme know the second you find them so I can address them quickly.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Interesting.

I used to play Final Fantasy 6 (3) all night long.

It's a SNES rom-hack, I suppose?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Interesting.

I used to play Final Fantasy 6 (3) all night long.

It's a SNES rom-hack, I suppose?
Yup. It's something I put a whole lot of time into(about 3 years off and on). You interested?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 AM

1,000,000 HP? Omega? That's would be tough for me. Omega nearly drive me crazy in FF8. I retried at least 20 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA16v3 View Post
Yup. It's something I put a whole lot of time into(about 3 years off and on). You interested?
Sure.

I'll PM you.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM

I would be too but I don't have an emulator and my laptop is 5 yrs old. will be getting a new one around tax time next year, though not a gaming rig.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post
I would be too but I don't have an emulator and my laptop is 5 yrs old. will be getting a new one around tax time next year, though not a gaming rig.
ZSNES is extremely low spec. I was running SNES roms over emulator on ZSNES on a 233Mhz rig with 64MB of RAM and it STILL ran amazingly well. Really well coded emulator with very little overhead.

I will email the rom when I finish classes today.

Oh and the 1,000,000 HP thing is for the final boss, not Omega. Omega and Czar have about 180k HP each(previous limit for HP was a little over 65k).