Future Call of Duty double/triple dip coming to you from Activision! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Default Future Call of Duty double/triple dip coming to you from Activision!

So now not only do you have to pay for internet, pay for Live (in the 360 case), now you will have to pay for server play as well for COD?

I especially like the line where they say that fans are telling them they should charge more money, as if that is something people generally do. Yes charge me more money for the same thing! What bullshit.

Quote:
Activision plans future charges for COD content

Activision executive Tom Tippl has said there are plans to charge Call of Duty users for online features in future.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetise the online gameplay," Tippl said during a business conference (as reported by Eurogamer, via IGN). "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he continued.

"I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetisation models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

And Tippl isn't concerned COD fans will object to having to pay for additional features, adding: "Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet."

"From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ures-in-future
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

i can see them doing it and people still buying this shit

you saw how well the steam boycott group was handling it
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

This is the guy who wishes games sold for $100 no?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM

yeah i think so

shooters have to try to innovate in some way going forward, a lot of it all feels the same now
Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM

That's because they are all practically the same. Killzone 2, MW2, same shit.

Left 4 Dead was different. Bioshock was different. Different is good. I am curious to how battle.net and Blizzard can come up with anything pertinant to a military like shooter. Pay monthly fees? For what? It's not like an MMO.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
yeah i think so

shooters have to try to innovate in some way going forward, a lot of it all feels the same now
Well maybe they're imagining some type of permanent world similiar to participating in an online MMORPG, where CODMW is the backdrop. I just don't see fans reacting well to being charged for online in addition to what they already pay for the game, but then this game is big enough that maybe they believe they can get away with it.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM

yeah left 4 dead and bioshock are good examples of how different can be awesome

i'm not paying to play call of duty online though (outside of xbl fees), they're out of their minds to do this i think, it makes their games less accessible and makes them out to be bigger douches than most already think they are, they're taking the whole "we're this gen's EA" to a whole new level
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM

* shudder *
Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM

it would be kind of cool if the next "world at war" was literal in that snad would be "called to duty" by canada to face off online against other countries.

If they could somehow track that with giving & taking territories it could be cool.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
it would be kind of cool if the next "world at war" was literal in that snad would be "called to duty" by canada to face off online against other countries.

If they could somehow track that with giving & taking territories it could be cool.
Well shit we wouldn't stand much of a chance against USA what with us only having 10% of your population and all.