Sims 3 + CrossFire X? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Default Sims 3 + CrossFire X?

Hey all, been a while since I've been on HDD. Anyway got a question for whatever PC gamers might be here still. My fiance recently installed her Sims 3 on my desktop, since hers is all messed up and frankly doesn't have the horse power mine does, and well she's over at my place so frequently that frankly she gets more time to play it at my place than she would at her's anyway.

Anyway, I had dual Reon 3870's running in CrossFire X. They were different generations of the same card, one is single height, the other dual. But for basically every other game the setup seemed to run flawlessly. But with Sims 3 we're having issues. The system would freeze up, or randomly reboot pretty quickly in the game. I literally had to remove the 2nd Reon 3870 to fix the problem, but as you can imagine I'm not happy not having Crossfire X any more. Even though I don't really game much any more, still... It's just the principal of the matter. Anyone run into this before? Aware of any fixes?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Well, general advice applies: Update all your drivers, flash your BIOS, install any OS patches. If it still happens, there is an Event Log in Windows you can check that usually vaguely explains why the reboot or freeze happened. If it says something about a kernel error or anything like that, then either it's a driver bug, or one of the cards is defective.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM

I'd try swapping your main card for the second one and see if it's the second card that is faulty.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:22 PM

My bet:

Sims 3 might be incompatible towards CrossfireX/the CrossfireX drivers lack support for that game.

There are a bunch of games which suffered the same (Fallout 3, TES4:Oblivion etc.)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks guys, I might play with it this weekend and see if I can get it going again.