March overbooked for PS3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Default March overbooked for PS3?

http://gamesthirstarticles.blogspot....-may-2010.html

Quote:
Now we all know that Final Fantasy XIII will be released on March 9th, but it's not the only title that will hit store shelves in said month. And especially on the PS3 there are big hitters all looking for room on the same plane. Gran Turismo 5, God of War III, Heavy Rain in February, and as stated, Final Fantasy XIII. March is overbooked and the best solution is for Sony to push back two big games, namely GT5 and God of War III into the months of April and May of next year respectively if they want all their big hitters to sell well. Here's why.

Everyone of the aforementioned titles a behemoths, and because they are, each of them needs ample room to breathe. It's like taking the three biggest stars in the music industry and giving each of them a concert at different locations in the same town on the same day; that would be a failure for all the organizers involved because although concert goers would love to participate and be at all the events, it's practically impossible, plus there's only so much cash one can afford to spend on partying.

Same with the games business. God of War III has dedicated fans, but a lot of those same fans are dedicated followers of Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. It only makes sense that you separate the three to maximize sales potential or else leave gamers with the difficult dilemma of picking and choosing between the titles that they've waited on for years.

I'd say release Final Fantasy on the 9th of March as announced since it'll also be on the Xbox 360 making it harder to change its date. Then Release Gran Turismo 5 on Tuesday April 20th, 2010. That would be good enough time between the two megaton titles and by then GT fans would be more than ready (cash in hands) to get their 'drive on.' And finally, the biggest dog in the house: God of War III should be released on May 25th, 2010 which is also a Tuesday. The distance between GT5 and God of War III would be just over one month, again giving fans of the titles decent space to enjoy each and enough time to save up on cash in order to purchase all and miss out on none.

I think it would be the right move, do you share the same sentiment?
I dont know, with all these PS3 exclusives (FFVIII excluded) arriving at that time maybe there should be a release date shift because theres nothing else really (exclusively on other systems) to compete during that particular period so they'll be battling themselves mostly plus we've waited so long for each of them, we want them ASAP.
GOWIII just better not move any further away is all I'm saying.
I'll probably get them all regardless but does anyone really want to wait any longer for these titles?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 AM

First off, FF13 is multi-platform now. That changes the game. Plenty of copies will be sold on the 360 so that reduces the chances it will over-shaddow some of these releases. I know a lot of PS3 fans would love to think the sales on the 360 will be a fraction of the PS3 sales, but if we look at previous PlayStation exclusives that went multi-plat, the 360 is a big deal.

Heavy rain is Feb. 16th. That should be early enough to get out of the way. If not, they will push it to April or May.

God of War will sell fine right along next to FF13. It has a big enough following and the name is enough to give it legs.

Gran Turismo still has no release date outside of Japan. It's dropping there in March, but they've directly said they aren't sure when it will hit for the rest of the wold. I could honestly see Sony holding that one until Q4 next year as their big holiday release. More likely, it will be May.

And yes, we're going to see more shuffling of release dates around or after Christmas. Too many multi-plats got out of the way of ODST and MW2 and pushed to Q1. I suspect this may be the first year we have a sweet summer release schedule.

Microsoft is in a similar boat with Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Alan Wake, though they are a little better spread out.

P.S. Is Sony still thinking of releasing their motion controller during this rush? If so, sounds like a great way to kill it before it gets out the door...
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Like it's been said, Heavy Rain is probably early enough already to not be a problem. Can't move FF13 now, unless you can get the 360 release date moved back as well. Sony probably still has some clout with Squeenix, but enough to get them to move their release date on two different consoles just to accomodate Sony's other first party releases?

So it comes down to GT5 and GoW3

I say move GT5. For one, everyone who is really desperate to 'get their drive on' (just quoting the original article) already has Prologue most likely. Plus, selfishly I don't give a rat's behind for racing games no matter how shiny they are.

Give me GoW3. The demo being put out with the collection will hardly be enough, though I wonder which franchise moves more software? I don't mean cumulative, but per release. That may also be an influencing factor. Put the lower selling franchise out first to grab at people's extra money, then hit em a week or two later with the other which typically sells better and I bet you still get a lot of bite.

Either way Q1 of 2010 is kinda gonna be a pain following the holidays as a multiplatform owner. I don't know how I'm going to afford all the 360 and PS3 games, let alone have time to play em.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Heavy rain is Feb. 16th. That should be early enough to get out of the way. If not, they will push it to April or May.
I don't see Heavy Rain making that date - not with MAG coming out on Jan. 26 and ModNation Racers coming out on Feb. 24. I don't see Sony sandwiching Heavy Rain in between those two. I expect HR later in the year.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I don't see Heavy Rain making that date - not with MAG coming out on Jan. 26 and ModNation Racers coming out on Feb. 24. I don't see Sony sandwiching Heavy Rain in between those two. I expect HR later in the year.
MAG is a big deal for them, but it's nearly a month ahead of Heavy Rain. It's hard to believe Sony would bump Heavy Rain for ModNation Racers, a game I hadn't heard about in some time until you mentioned it again. Heavy Rain has been getting a gigantic marketing push from Sony, and I'm sure they'd like to keep it on track assuming its actually ready.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 AM

The whole first quarter of the year is overbooked for PS3.

You've got Lost Planet 2, Bioshock 2, MAG, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII, Dead Rising 2, Bayonetta, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Army of Two: 40th Day, BF:BC2, EyePet and the possibility of a GT5 or SSF4 release... I know I'm missing another 3 or 4...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM

FF13 releases March 9th, GoW3 could release 2-3 weeks later and be fine. They could push GT5 back, but its bigger then FF, and targeting a different audience. So I do think we will see all 3 titles released in March.

And having HR release between MAG and MNR is fine. All 3 games are quite different and will sell to again a different audience. Sure some people will buy all 3 but most will buy just 1.

All I know is Q1 2010 is probably the best looking quarter for games this generation <so far>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
P.S. Is Sony still thinking of releasing their motion controller during this rush? If so, sounds like a great way to kill it before it gets out the door...
It never was rumored for Q1. From what I recall I think they were hinting at late Q2 release.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 AM

bump GoW back 1 month. Give Kratos April all to himself.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Mod Nation and Heavy Rain are not at odds with eachother really. The only possibility I see is them releasing HR at the end of Feb having it killed off by FFXIII.

Bump GT5 and GoW3 back.

GT5 in April and GoW3 to may.

Also, now that FFXIII has a date, I wonder what Level5 will do about WKC. They won't want to release it anywhere near it, so early year release or april/may release?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 AM

I think we'll see a bunch of releases move to summer.

I think GTA5 will hit next fall, just a hunch.

I don't think Bioshock 2's been named. But it's going to be a good year. I have some catch up time in december thankfully.