Modern Warfare 2 (Call of Duty 6? Infinity Ward-Style) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Default Modern Warfare 2 (Call of Duty 6? Infinity Ward-Style)

We need a thread for MW2, so I propose this be it. I don't have too much to mention except, I'm already severely disappointed.

No story mode co-op apparently.

From GiantBomb (via GI Scan)
Quote:
Here's a brief overview of the text, until I can get a higher-res gallery out.

Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh).
No Co-Op? I kinda stopped reading at that point. I've only played COD4 through once on the story mode, to me, the only real memorable part was the "All Ghillied Up" level. I had low expectations for WAW because "the internet" was so sure that it would suck - being treyarch and all, and I've played the campaign through probably 4 times singly, and at least that with a buddy. There are some things I don't like about it, but mostly, when you're not getting grenade spammed to oblivion, or infinite respawn -meat-grindered.. it's quite interesting and very fun.

I'd think the other dumbass move that IW could do is to remove split screen and LAN. I wouldn't buy it for quite a while if that was the case.

Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM

I don't play cod for co op or for the story. Don't care if the story is 2 hours or if it sucks balls, I only use it as a tutorial to get accustomed to the controls. As long as it has a great MP I will be happy. Also didn't soap die?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Game room?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Eliminating infinite respawns = About bloody time

No co-op = possible pass from me.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post

no co-op is really lame, but I'm pretty confident that the game will still kick ass.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post

No co-op = likely pass from me. That's probably one of the few motivators that would strongly have me considering a purchase
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM

OOPS! I don't know how this didn't end up in the game room. I'm reporting myself!
Mich, can you move it please?

The only thing that infinite respawns are good for are sniper competitions with a buddy, taking turns to see who can kill the most from a certain spot etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Pfft, I'll be buying this sucker, screw y'all!

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 05-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Well if not for my friends who are COD addicts, I would pass as well. No co-op is just ridiculous in this day in age for a shooter like COD. Waw showed how fun and good it made the campaign and IW really only cares about MP. Aside from the weapons and settings for COD4 or WaW, its the same damn game, just treyarch made the campaign fun and replayable.. Not to mention Nazi Zombies is freaking awesome!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Did I expect Co-op campaign? Yeah.

Am I disappointed it's not there? A little.

Will that stop me from getting this day one? Fuck. No.