Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

Wow.

Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

Anywhere between an estimated 600,000 and 1 million players who use Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service will be cut off from the service because they have modified their game consoles or played games that were illegally downloaded from file-sharing sites, according to the company.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft said in a statement Wednesday.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Former Member

in a word? GOOD. serves anyone right who KNOWINGLY alters a system or buys one, for the sole reason to play hacked and burned games.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Can't say I feel bad about this. I mean, the idea is they're pirates. They should know of the risk involved.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM

A girl came in to work yesterday and had to buy one. I had read the article saying the banstick was coming and asked if she had been banned she replied "yea...I bought it from a friend...my fault...this $200 lost". At least she wasn't complaining about it.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM

i'm sure there will be plenty of complainers saying they got banned for no reason
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i'm sure there will be plenty of complainers saying they got banned for no reason
There are a lot of people who were banned for no reason. Some simply used their XBL account on a modded 360 and boom, banned (MS actually banned the Gamertag for some). Others bought consoles second hand and didn't even know they were modded. It's very easy to remove a warranty sticker and reapply it (hence MS's new Warranty stickers). I've been to EBs where their refurbished units didn't have any stickers yet were still being sold (which is odd to me).

The banning can only hurt MS. How? I know this sounds silly, but people who download and burn games are more likely to buy additional things like game content, subscriptions etc. That's a revenue stream MS just lost. Banning someone from XBL just means they either a. won't play on XBL again or b. will buy another 360 and mod it with the 'newest' software or c. buy another 360 and go 'clean'. You also have to figure that people who download and burn games like crazy are not likely to ever have purchased that game at retail. Granted, there are 'big' games that people would have purchased had they not downloaded them (Halo, GOW etc.) but the majority is just crap.

The most common excuse I see from people who know very little about it is that modders 'cheat' on games which is not true. Modding is just making a copy. 1:1. They are not altering codes or anything like that (I don't think that's possible).

But hey, its MS' stuff so they can do what they want. Modders will just find another way around it in a few weeks and next November they will get banned again. This happens every November since the console launched.

And I just broke my 360 (dropped it ) and can't buy a used one since I'm afraid I'll get one that's been banned. CL is filled with banned ones but some you'd never know until you got home. GameStop can't check either so if you buy used, you may get a banned one or one that will get banned next year.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Please ban everyone who steals games. Please.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
Please ban everyone who steals games. Please.
They are

Makes me wonder why people are stupid enough to play games weeks before they hit retail shelves.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
There are a lot of people who were banned for no reason. Some simply used their XBL account on a modded 360 and boom, banned (MS actually banned the Gamertag for some). Others bought consoles second hand and didn't even know they were modded. It's very easy to remove a warranty sticker and reapply it (hence MS's new Warranty stickers). I've been to EBs where their refurbished units didn't have any stickers yet were still being sold (which is odd to me).

The banning can only hurt MS. How? I know this sounds silly, but people who download and burn games are more likely to buy additional things like game content, subscriptions etc. That's a revenue stream MS just lost. Banning someone from XBL just means they either a. won't play on XBL again or b. will buy another 360 and mod it with the 'newest' software or c. buy another 360 and go 'clean'. You also have to figure that people who download and burn games like crazy are not likely to ever have purchased that game at retail. Granted, there are 'big' games that people would have purchased had they not downloaded them (Halo, GOW etc.) but the majority is just crap.

The most common excuse I see from people who know very little about it is that modders 'cheat' on games which is not true. Modding is just making a copy. 1:1. They are not altering codes or anything like that (I don't think that's possible).

But hey, its MS' stuff so they can do what they want. Modders will just find another way around it in a few weeks and next November they will get banned again. This happens every November since the console launched.

And I just broke my 360 (dropped it ) and can't buy a used one since I'm afraid I'll get one that's been banned. CL is filled with banned ones but some you'd never know until you got home. GameStop can't check either so if you buy used, you may get a banned one or one that will get banned next year.
Yeah, it does sound silly, and I'm pretty sure that every publisher thinks it is too.

Publishers dont' give a shit if people are paying for live subscriptions, they have trouble enough fighting used games.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
Yeah, it does sound silly, and I'm pretty sure that every publisher thinks it is too.

Publishers dont' give a shit if people are paying for live subscriptions, they have trouble enough fighting used games.
Just playing devil's advocate here. It's the most common thing I read when the wave happens.