? about Xbox 360 HDD & internet question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Default ? about Xbox 360 HDD & internet question

My son has had his since April or so I think. After all the recent talk about the Arcade version deals, I looked and found that there is no HDD that comes included. My sons system came with the 20 GB drive. Then I read that the HDD is used to download games from the net and store them. I also read that you can save existing games so (I presume) you can start again from where you left off instead of having to start from the beginning each time. Correct me if I'm misinterpreted anything so far.

So I asked my son today if he was aware he could save games on the HDD and he said he did not know anything about it (don't forget, he is developmentally disabled) so I told him he should investigate if it works. He plays GH all the time. What I'm asking is how does he use the drive? In the simplest, step by step laymans terms so I can understand please. He would probably know what terms would be used but just in case...

My next question is about connecting to the internet. His is in his room and the modem is in the living room. No wireless router and none in the near future. How do I connect the 360 to my modem? I have a modem from the cable co and connected to that is my Vonage modem for the phone.

Now, once connected, can he 'surf' the web in his room using the 360? Can he get into any trouble being online with the 360 if he can't surf the web? In other words, what can he do if it gets connected, and would it affect my living toom connection and/or phone?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
My son has had his since April or so I think. After all the recent talk about the Arcade version deals, I looked and found that there is no HDD that comes included. My sons system came with the 20 GB drive. Then I read that the HDD is used to download games from the net and store them. I also read that you can save existing games so (I presume) you can start again from where you left off instead of having to start from the beginning each time. Correct me if I'm misinterpreted anything so far.

So I asked my son today if he was aware he could save games on the HDD and he said he did not know anything about it (don't forget, he is developmentally disabled) so I told him he should investigate if it works. He plays GH all the time. What I'm asking is how does he use the drive? In the simplest, step by step laymans terms so I can understand please. He would probably know what terms would be used but just in case...

My next question is about connecting to the internet. His is in his room and the modem is in the living room. No wireless router and none in the near future. How do I connect the 360 to my modem? I have a modem from the cable co and connected to that is my Vonage modem for the phone.

Now, once connected, can he 'surf' the web in his room using the 360? Can he get into any trouble being online with the 360 if he can't surf the web? In other words, what can he do if it gets connected, and would it affect my living toom connection and/or phone?
The game should give you the option of saving it to the Memory Unit or to the Hard Drive. It differs with each game, I think, on how to bring up that menu.

As for the internet, the Xbox 360 is out of the box ethernet only. You need to buy a wireless bridge or the official wifi adapter which will run you $100. The Xbox 360 also lacks a web browser as of now, so no, you cannot do any kind of internet browsing. However, if your son has a Facebook account or a Twitter account, there will be an update coming soon that will enable the usage of those two websites. Now you still need an internet connection to use them, so if you cannot connect your 360 to the internet, you cannot get the update. (Updates for 360 might come on discs, but I'm not totally sure, there. On PSP and PS3 various games will ship with system updates on the disc, never thought about 360 games doing the same).
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM

I'll endorse BBM's answer as saying everything that I would.

Also, if you're saying that your son won't have a wifi adapter anytime in the near future because of expense (the adapter is something like $100 iirc) -- but if it weren't for expense, you'd like him to have one, there are work arounds.

There are cheaper adapters that you can buy, and if you're comfortable with following online tutorials, you could actually find a cheap linksys router (like $30-$40), plug it into your computer, and set it up to be a receiver for your existing wireless router's signal. Then you'd set that $30-$40 router right by the 360, and plug the 360 into it**

**I just re-read your post, and noticed that you only said you had a cable modem, and not a wireless router. To connect the 360, you either need to have an ethernet cable from the 360 to your modem, or a wireless signal in your house, which a wireless adapter/router could connect to.

All in all, if you have a little bit of patience, and perhaps a technically inclined friend, you could have that 360 online for probably $80-$100. But, as you probably know, it won't do you THAT much good until you pay for a gold live subscription. However, it would be good for system updates and some game demos etc.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Thanks guys.

So to clarify:

If I connect from my cable modem in the LR to the 360 in his BR, nothing will happen unless I buy a $100 adapter or try one of the 'work-arounds? So it is internet 'capable' but NOT internet 'ready'?

As for the game saves to HDD, I will have him look at the game menu. Are there 2 actual choices, (using guitar hero as an example) for saving, 1 for HDD and the other for "Memory Unit"?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

So to clarify:

If I connect from my cable modem in the LR to the 360 in his BR, nothing will happen unless I buy a $100 adapter or try one of the 'work-arounds? So it is internet 'capable' but NOT internet 'ready'?

As for the game saves to HDD, I will have him look at the game menu. Are there 2 actual choices, (using guitar hero as an example) for saving, 1 for HDD and the other for "Memory Unit"?
Im pretty sure most games automatically save to the HDD. When you start a game for the first time it will create a file for that game for game saves.

You can also install games onto the HDD which im thinking is what you might have read about. On the xbox dashboard you can go to the game and it gives you an option to "install game to Hard Drive". All this does is it makes the game load times faster so the loading screens dont take as long but you still need the disc to play the game.

And also to clarify, if you connect the xbox to the modem with an ethernet cable you can get internet to the xbox. The $100 adapter is if you want wireless internet to the xbox.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Most likely, if all he has is an Xbox with the Hard Drive, he has been saving to the hard drive.

Xbox Live has two tiers.

Silver which is free, and allows downloading demo items, and other free things, and also for buying games and add ons.

Gold is $50 a year and offers online play.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavarr8 View Post
Im pretty sure most games automatically save to the HDD. When you start a game for the first time it will create a file for that game for game saves.

You can also install games onto the HDD which im thinking is what you might have read about. On the xbox dashboard you can go to the game and it gives you an option to "install game to Hard Drive". All this does is it makes the game load times faster so the loading screens dont take as long but you still need the disc to play the game.

And also to clarify, if you connect the xbox to the modem with an ethernet cable you can get internet to the xbox. The $100 adapter is if you want wireless internet to the xbox.
Exactly.

Some feet of CAT5 should run cheaper than that blocky wireless adapter.

That's what I'm doing for years. It's also stretchable over multiple floors. All that's needed are ties and protection tubes and a driller.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Exactly.

Some feet of CAT5 should run cheaper than that blocky wireless adapter.

That's what I'm doing for years. It's also stretchable over multiple floors. All that's needed are ties and protection tubes and a driller.
It just depends on if he wants to open up his wall to run the cable through it or if he doesn't mind a cable being on the floor.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

So to clarify:

Sorry if I was unclear.

To recap what others have said, and the correct answer:

-If you plug the 360 directly into the modem, you're golden
-Connecting the 360 to your modem, as you know, requires the usual internet cord, which you're already using if you have anything connected to your modem - so nothing special here (CAT5)
-If you would like to have the 360 online wirelessly, so the 360 can be far away from your modem, or so you don't have to drill holes in your walls to get CAT5 from your 360 to your modem, then you can do so -- but you will need a wireless router connected to your modem (easy to do, it's simply plugging a cord in, and following 2 or 3 instructions that come on a tutorial/install disc with the router)
---After you connect a wireless router to your modem, to send a wireless signal, you will need a piece of equipment to RECEIVE that signal (plugged into the 360) This is all moot if you're uninterested in wireless

If you're interested in exploring a wireless solution, say so here, and it can be spelled out much more clearly
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM

No. Not interested in wireless at this time. I can run a line thru the floor, thru the crawl space and up into his room in about 30 minutes or less. Thanks for all the help guys.