PS3 having trouble getting picture - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Default PS3 having trouble getting picture

I just bought an 80gb BC PS3 used off of a person on Craigslist yesterday. I am having trouble getting picture. The previous owner told me that since he used it only on an HD TV, that I would need to get an HDMI cable, hook the system up to an HD TV, and set the video back to standard.

One of my friends, who happens to be a PS3 owner, said that I could set it back to standard by holding down the power button, after powered up, for 7-8 seconds until I heard a beep. He said this would indicate that the settings had been reset to normal. I did this and got 3 beeps. Still cannot get a picture.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 01:48 PM

I think you need to hook it up to an HD TV with an HDMI cable and make sure it functions. If not, I hope you have a valid phone number for the person you bought it from because you may have been scammed.

Also, do the same thing you did again, but let go of the power button after the second beep. I hear this will force the PS3 to auto-configure the video setting to whatever your TV is running.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

okay I got it figured out, I was misunderstanding what was being said to me.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Good deal. Enjoy your new machine.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM

I want to, but now I can't even load Killzone 2. It's giving me "an error occurred during the start operation". Previous to that, the game froze during the opening movie sequence
Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Return to buyer if possible and find another unit. Don't bother troubleshooting. Get rid of it ASAP.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM

The problem sort of fixed when I restored system defaults. However, when I was trying to load a game it kept saying "loading" on the game screen. I pressed the PS button and clicked "exit game" and it stayed on a black screen for a while. It powered back up to the PS3 main screen, but could not find the game. Ejected, then put it back in. Still nothing. Pressed eject, took about a full minute for it to eject.

Have no "yellow light of death" nor do I have the "3 beeps with blinking red light"

This is probably one of those "too good to be true" deals...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moy View Post
The problem sort of fixed when I restored system defaults. However, when I was trying to load a game it kept saying "loading" on the game screen. I pressed the PS button and clicked "exit game" and it stayed on a black screen for a while. It powered back up to the PS3 main screen, but could not find the game. Ejected, then put it back in. Still nothing. Pressed eject, took about a full minute for it to eject.

Have no "yellow light of death" nor do I have the "3 beeps with blinking red light"

This is probably one of those "too good to be true" deals...
If you have a bad disc drive, you won't get the 'yellow light of death', nor will you get a blinking red light. I know from personal experience, as I had my disc drive crap out on my old 80g. It will scroll through the xmb just fine, and it will also play any games you can download from the psn network (plays them off the hard drive) just fine. It just wont read any discs.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM

I'll say it again - take your discs out and get rid of it. Return to the buyer if they will let you. The PS3 doesn't have a tray so if the drive totally dies while you have a game in there, you can either rip the machine apart to get it out or kiss it good bye.