Torchlight (PC) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Default Torchlight (PC)

Anyone checked out Torchlight? Apparently this is a new game from some of the guys who created Diablo? I don't know much about it but after Giant Bomb did a quick look of it, I was basically sold on the game. Here is that video:

Quick Look: Torchlight

I guess it's a lot like Diablo (which I've never played) and they've just put out the single player version as of the 27th. I guess a MMO version is launching in 2011. RPGGamer.com gave it a 90 in their review, and it's currently averaging 86 on Metacritic.

I have this new PC I bought and while I wasn't intending to buy a gaming machine, it seems the upgraded video card I got with it is capable of running a lot of modern games. So I figure nickles is money too and PC games are also worth a shot again. Anyway, it's $20 on Steam and I just picked it up. If you like Diablo style PC games and can part with $20, it looks pretty sweet.

P.S. my steam name is the same as my PSN and Live ID: rm082e. Add me if you have a Steam account as I just set mine up. I may pick up TF2 or something MP based if I can get some friends to play with.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM

I need to check this out and support the devs.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Those are the same guys that made Mythos and Hellgate London.

Both games failed, the dev team shut down and most of the fans (me included) thought that this was the end. Thankfully, it was not.

Torchlight is pretty much a second attempt to release Mythos. A single-player one this time.

Mythos was a great successor to Diablo II, so let's hope Torchlight is the same great game ( - the multiplayer part).
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Nice find OP. I added you on Steam (I play as Nealon_Greene). I mostly play TF2 and just blasting through Bioshock now ($4.99!!). Also just finished up Titan Quest which is another isometric hack-and-slash you should check out on Steam. Both Titan Quest games were $5 not too long ago!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Sounds interesting. Steam has a demo available, so I'll have to take it for a test drive.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Was Hellgate as bad as everyone said? I remember really looking forward to it, but when it came out I never got a chance to play it. I remember staying up all night playing Diablo 1 with a friend over a dial-up
Old 10-31-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Red_Mage- View Post
Was Hellgate as bad as everyone said? I remember really looking forward to it, but when it came out I never got a chance to play it. I remember staying up all night playing Diablo 1 with a friend over a dial-up
It was a mess at launch but some people said it was decent post launch with the side content.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Sounds interesting. Steam has a demo available, so I'll have to take it for a test drive.
Oh, didn't see that demo.....got to check it out for sure. Get a Diablo 3 fix until Diablo 3. Dragon Age comes out soon too. Want to get that on Steam because its so easy, but both brother-in-laws work at EA so I can get a copy for $20....dang.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Played about an hour of this game last night. It's really easy on the Normal difficulty and it's very charming. I never played the Diablo games back in the day because I was into twitch FPS and dungeon crawlers didn't hold my attention at the time, but I totally get how this is a Diablo rip off.

Anyway, I'm really glad I picked it u and looking forward to playing more. I just wish it had Steam Achievements. Anyone played Diablo 2 recently? If so, how well does that game hold up after a decade? I hear Blizzard is still patching and supporting that game. Thinking about checking it out if I continue to enjoy Torchlight as much as I did last night.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM

I heard about it from Giant Bomb (my favourite video game website) as well, will probably check it out once the current holiday craze of awesome titles is passed.