Uncharted: The Movie Casting Bit - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Default Uncharted: The Movie Casting Bit

I know this is all sort of irrelevant, seeing that the Uncharted movie is nothing more than a pipe dream at the moment (rights were bought but I doubt anyone is moving past the looking for a script....maybe...stage) but wanted to see what the general makeup/consensus on the issue was (or if there is a general lack of caring).

Quote:
Who's going to play Nathan Drake in the upcoming Uncharted movie? Well, don't expect Nolan North to reprise the role for the silver screen. In spite of his stellar performance in the games, North knows he's not big enough to headline a big budget film like Uncharted. "I've done film and television and I understand the reality of the business," North said on the OPM UK podcast.

The frontrunner for the role for Nathan appears to be X-Men star Hugh Jackman. "Jackman is who I'd like to see. I think the producers would like to see Jackman too, because he has that tough guy exterior," North explains. But, Jackman can bring more than just muscles to the character. "There's also a lot going on behind his eyes. A lot of emotion and sensitivity on that brusque exterior, and he has great comic timing."
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/28/no...part-of-drake/

Sure, Jackman was solid as Wolverine and I've seen him do some other stuff, but he's never really played a character with the feel and personality of Drake. I kinda thought Nathan Fillion would be a dead lock (and I know others have said just as much here at HDD) but the Joystiq comments seem to indicate there is only a small (vocal) pocket of Whedonists who would actually pay to see that.

Am I crazy here, still desparately hoping to catch one more glimpse of a Mal Reynolds-esque character on the big screen, or is Fillion obviously Nathan Drake? He's got the look and he definitely can play the persona on screen

Admittedly he'd have to grow a five o'clock shadow
(Also, does anyone know when the next Eye of Indra motion comic is supposed to be released on the PSN?)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM

we all want fillion
Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 AM

I'd like to see Nathan Fillion as well but like North he's not a big of a box office draw. This movie could change that though.... I originally thought it was him (Fillion) doing the voice for the game back when the first game was coming out.

~d
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM

Give me Bruce Campbell as Sully, and I wouldn't give a shit if Chris Rock played Drake.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 AM

I'd only accept Fillion, or maybe even Ryan Reynolds.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
I'd only accept Fillion, or maybe even Ryan Reynolds.
It's the hair
Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
pocket of Whedonists
Wait a minute...please tell me Joss Whedon doesn't have anything to do with this movie. I don't see any info on imbd, but if Joss Whedon is involved my interest in this movie just dropped off a cliff...

Fillion would be fine as Drake. Bruce Campbell as Sully is almost mandatory. Not casting him would be a huge mistake. I think Jackman is too expensive for this movie. I don't see the studio getting behind this like Jerry Bruckheimer Films is getting behind Price of Persia.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Wait a minute...please tell me Joss Whedon doesn't have anything to do with this movie. I don't see any info on imbd, but if Joss Whedon is involved my interest in this movie just dropped off a cliff...

Fillion would be fine as Drake. Bruce Campbell as Sully is almost mandatory. Not casting him would be a huge mistake. I think Jackman is too expensive for this movie. I don't see the studio getting behind this like Jerry Bruckheimer Films is getting behind Price of Persia.
Not a fan of Whedon? Admittedly, I've only follwed his Firefly series and Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. Based on those two things alone I would absolutely watch anything new he was involved in.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Don't worry about Whedon though, the only reason he's mentioned is because he's a frequent collaborator of Fillion.

And I'm not sure I want Jackman to be honest. He's an alright choice but I'd rather they cast someone else.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Not a fan of Whedon? Admittedly, I've only follwed his Firefly series and Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. Based on those two things alone I would absolutely watch anything new he was involved in.
Nope. A friend basically built up Firefly as the best show ever made. He loaned me the DVD and as I was watching the first episode, I started to wonder if he had suffered blunt force trauma to the head. How he thinks that show is better than Dexter, Six Feet Under, The X Files and Battlestar Galactica etc. is beyond me. I also tried to watch Buffy a few times as some people my age (30) said it was really good. I just really don't get it.

I'm sure that makes me sound like a stuck up jerk, and I don't mean to be. Far be it from me to criticize other people's tastes. I just don't understand.