Computer Hardware question. - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default Computer Hardware question.

I've sort of exhausted myself finding an answer on the internet the normal route, so I feel like I have to ask this to real people.


I ordered a new Dell computer, and not for gaming really, but I wouldn't mind dabbling. I did however need it for Video Editing and rendering and such, as I'm a broadcast production student, and I'm sick of sharing the schools computers.


Simple Specs, it's a Dell XPS 8000 with i7 processor at 2.8 Ghz with 8GB dual channel ram with 4, 2 GB sticks.

It comes with a Geforce GT220. I could have upgraded to a GT240, but, the GT220 has HDMI built in and claims to support 1.3...which I'm assuming means it supports HDMI audio without tinkering.


I was looking around, and most cards come with two DVI slots with the ability to use HDMI through adapter, but to get sounds you have to link the card to the motherboard with SPDIF.

So i'm like...what? SPIF doesn't have the same bandwidth so wouldn't you be bottlenecking yourself? How does it even work since DVI doesn't support audio?

I wouldn't mind upgrading at some place down the line, but I don't really know what I'm getting into.

The bottom line is, I'd like to run my DVI to a computer monitor, and the HDMI to my receiver and into my speakers and TV. I'm just sort of confused, and it seems really hard to find a better card than the GT 220 that also supports HDMI on the slot along with 1.3.


Thank ya.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Blinx123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,787
Default

The specs look good (i7 = fastest quad-core = perfect choice for video editing).

About the HDMI thing: At this point no NVIDIA card supports HDMI audio (the next-gen, not yet released G300 might). This additional HDMI port is usually connected to the SPDIF port.

While using 2xDVI, you shouldn't need to lead the audio signal through any of the DVI connections. Just use the soundcard or the onboard sound.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
The specs look good (i7 = fastest quad-core = perfect choice for video editing).

About the HDMI thing: At this point no NVIDIA card supports HDMI audio (the next-gen, not yet released G300 might). This additional HDMI port is usually connected to the SPDIF port.

While using 2xDVI, you shouldn't need to lead the audio signal through any of the DVI connections. Just use the soundcard or the onboard sound.


I believe their top 200 and 9800 say that they support the audio as well as video through HDMI, but I cannot drop $500 at this point.

Blegh, I really didn't not want to have to run more cables accross the room. I'm gonna have a funny set up in my bedroom by the end of this. You guys will have to see.


How do people generally get lossless audio out of their HTPC's? Just through analog? I can't imagine everyone buys the highest end GPU's.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
How do people generally get lossless audio out of their HTPC's? Just through analog? I can't imagine everyone buys the highest end GPU's.
Yes, we use RCA outs.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

I heard that with Core i7 processors that you want to make sure that you configure memory in sets of 3 otherwise you take a performance hit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Favelle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post


How do people generally get lossless audio out of their HTPC's? Just through analog? I can't imagine everyone buys the highest end GPU's.
$30 ATI 4350's support LOSSLESS audio over HDMI. Fanless, low-profile, perfect for HTPC. In fact, the whole 4xxx line of ATI cards supports 7.1 lossless LPCM over HDMI.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Blinx123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
I heard that with Core i7 processors that you want to make sure that you configure memory in sets of 3 otherwise you take a performance hit.
Oh ya. That's right, sadly. A 6GB DDR3 kit would've been the better choice since the i7 works with triple-channel rather than dual-channel.


@Favelle

I second that. ATI seems to be the overall better choice this gen. Heck, they release their DX11 cards nearly half a year before NVIDIA does release theirs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Oh ya. That's right, sadly. A 6GB DDR3 kit would've been the better choice since the i7 works with triple-channel rather than dual-channel.


@Favelle

I second that. ATI seems to be the overall better choice this gen. Heck, they release their DX11 cards nearly half a year before NVIDIA does release theirs.
It has four slots, would taking one out work?

The XPS 9000's have 6 slots.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Averry's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,636
Default

Actually, as far as I can tell, you'll get a boost from triple channel, but I don't think dropping to 6GB is actually gonna make it faster.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convergence of Web & TV (Turn your TV into a computer, turn your computer into a TV) Kosty High Definition Smackdown 20 08-05-2011 07:07 PM
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.; David Reeves to Retire From Sony Computer Entertain BladeofTheImmortal Gaming Smackdown 12 05-01-2009 04:38 PM
I think is time for a Computer/Software and Hardware Forum. nelll Feedback 3 04-10-2007 04:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off