Looking for advice (PSone classics) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Looking for advice (PSone classics)

So I have $15 US left on my PSN account and would like to use them on 2 PSone classics.

I'm pretty much a fan of every PSX series in existence, which is quite a problem when it comes to making a choice.

I'm definitely buying Oddworld Abe's Oddysee, so there's $5.99 left. I'm looking for a deep gaming experience and a playtime of at least 15+ hours. Which game could deliver that? I'm really interested in Jumping Flash (1 or 2), Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Silent Hill. What's the approximate playtime for each of those?

Silent Hill is one of the few series I've never tried. How does it compare to Resident Evil? Would you rather call it low-level (creepy, B-movie like, unrealistic) or high-level (I'm pissing my pants, better search for my baseball bat and check all doors) sort of horror?

PS: Feel free to advertise other games. Be aware, however, that I would like to avoid any further JRPG, until I played through my JRPG backlog (Final Fantasy 7, Wild Arms, Star Ocean).
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM

blood omen is like a hack n slash rpg, it'll probably take at least 15

can't remember played it like over 10 years ago
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Always wanted to play Medieval for PS1. Other than that Castlevania SOTN is $10 also.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Um Jammer Lammy

You can beat it in a day, and you'll laugh and sing along.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Watcher of stances

Silent Hill a phenomenal title, highly recommended. i always found it far creepier than RE.
the franchise has been suffering every since.

the jumping flash games are like katamari, fun in small doses.

Legacy of Kain was a pretty cool game but the interface and control system are cumbersome by today's standards.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Um Jammer Lammy

You can beat it in a day, and you'll laugh and sing along.
Interesting.

I thought about that game as well.

Seems a lot easier than Parappa The Rapper, too.

Are there a lot of levels?

@D_Strasse

Ya. MediEvil is great. But I already own the original disc edition.

Games I already own:

Spyro
Spyro 2
Wild Arms
Final Fantasy 7
MediEvil
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM

I think there's like 8 of them.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
HDD Contributor

Legacy of Kain definitely, if you're looking for a longer experience. It's basically Diablo with vampires. Also if you want to see what Amy Hennig was up to in her younger days (ie, the woman who worked on the Uncharted series) she was involved in this game, so it's quite an intelligent and in depth plot.

But Silent Hill is also an excellent choice. Might not run you 15 hours, but if you go through multiple playthroughs it will.

EDIT: Oh and Umjammer Lammy is not easier than Parappa the Rapper, in later levels it actually gets harder. I finished Parappa, but I think I hit a brick wall with Umjammer where I just couldn't get past one particular level/song.

Last edited by Shoeless; 10-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM

I'd go with Kain or Silent Hill. Kain will last longer (and has terrific voice work by Simon Templeman) but SH has magnificent atmosphere.

Jumping Flash is fun but I can't recommend them over the other two classics.

Also, I didn't realize Oddworld was on there, I'll have to check that out. I love those games, It's a shame the series will never finish.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
So I have $15 US left on my PSN account and would like to use them on 2 PSone classics.

I'm pretty much a fan of every PSX series in existence, which is quite a problem when it comes to making a choice.

I'm definitely buying Oddworld Abe's Oddysee, so there's $5.99 left. I'm looking for a deep gaming experience and a playtime of at least 15+ hours. Which game could deliver that? I'm really interested in Jumping Flash (1 or 2), Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Silent Hill. What's the approximate playtime for each of those?

Silent Hill is one of the few series I've never tried. How does it compare to Resident Evil? Would you rather call it low-level (creepy, B-movie like, unrealistic) or high-level (I'm pissing my pants, better search for my baseball bat and check all doors) sort of horror?

PS: Feel free to advertise other games. Be aware, however, that I would like to avoid any further JRPG, until I played through my JRPG backlog (Final Fantasy 7, Wild Arms, Star Ocean).
For the love of all that is holy get Suikoden.