XBLA Indie Avatar Golf review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Default XBLA Indie Avatar Golf review

Well guys, while looking through the XBLA games this month I stumbled onto this little gem. Now its not as graphic intensive as some XBLA games but, it's surprisingly good. The game is currently 400pts. and it comes with 8 pre-made 18 hole courses. The game has everything a casual golf game should be and more. Here's a run down of the elements of play.

Eight 18 hole courses.
Wind, water(animated), sand, custom Avatar support.
Camera controls and course over view options.
Local 4 player and Multi online play.
Green elevation and color grade reading.
CUSTOM CREATE AND DESIGN MODE!

Ok the last one is what got me hooked on this game. When I say create I mean create. When using the design mode the designer starts with a clean slate grid. The designer has control over size of the hole, type of hole(par 3,4,5) and all the elements are at your command. Hey, are you a designer that likes elevation in your holes you have control of it. The creation process while having some limits is pretty open. The designer can add water, sand, pin placement, elevation of any element/structure (except water), add the cart path, bridges and boats for the water. You have several choices for wind, backdrops and weather conditions. Also, custom soundtrack play is a must the music is simple and gets old fast. Anyway I've spent about 6 hours with this game and most of that was in the create design feature. I think the the game is refreshing and fun and I thought others might like to try it. Finally, I forgot to say you can post your design courses online for others to play. Well, give the trial a run and see what you think. The trial is time based but, you have access to the entire game during that limited time. The game is a 76meg download. Too bad EA won't tackle create course design.

Last edited by Wulf; 12-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah this was a fun little gem. I think the only complaint I had was that the avatars didn't really have any new animations to them and basically just did the generic ones they can do on the dashboard. I was hoping there would be some unique ones like when they get a hole-in-one and such. But all in all its a decent golf game and the editor was fun to mess around with.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Avatar Golf is 160 MS pts today, run don't walk to download this game. Folks, this is only $2 a real steal of a Arcade game. This price is for today only!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM

I was wondering though, how is the online multiplayer community for this game? Because I have purchased over 100+xbl arcade games and more than half of them are online capable but lack a community and makes it very hard for me to find games to play people with it. I tried the demo and liked it, but no achievements and I already have a few indie games I don't play anymore. Has anyone gotten this? Let us know how the online portion is and how the maps are that people created.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Go 2, I've played it mostly offline simply because I have little time. Sorry, I can't help you with your online question. I plan to try out the online side sometime this week or next.

Last edited by Wulf; 12-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Ah okay. Well, I decided to not get it since I already have 3d ultra mini golf from the arcade which was 800 points just wish they'd add avatar support to it. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who bought this game..oh well
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Well guys, while looking through the XBLA games this month I stumbled onto this little gem. Now its not as graphic intensive as some XBLA games but, it's surprisingly good. The game is currently 400pts. and it comes with 8 pre-made 18 hole courses. The game has everything a casual golf game should be and more. Here's a run down of the elements of play.

Eight 18 hole courses.
Wind, water(animated), sand, custom Avatar support.
Camera controls and course over view options.
Local 4 player and Multi online play.
Green elevation and color grade reading.
CUSTOM CREATE AND DESIGN MODE!

Ok the last one is what got me hooked on this game. When I say create I mean create. When using the design mode the designer starts with a clean slate grid. The designer has control over size of the hole, type of hole(par 3,4,5) and all the elements are at your command. Hey, are you a designer that likes elevation in your holes you have control of it. The creation process while having some limits is pretty open. The designer can add water, sand, pin placement, elevation of any element/structure (except water), add the cart path, bridges and boats for the water. You have several choices for wind, backdrops and weather conditions. Also, custom soundtrack play is a must the music is simple and gets old fast. Anyway I've spent about 6 hours with this game and most of that was in the create design feature. I think the the game is refreshing and fun and I thought others might like to try it. Finally, I forgot to say you can post your design courses online for others to play. Well, give the trial a run and see what you think. The trial is time based but, you have access to the entire game during that limited time. The game is a 76meg download. Too bad EA won't tackle create course design.
That's all great but.....no achievements....right?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM

Nope, the Indie games don't have them.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Go 2 Guy View Post
Ah okay. Well, I decided to not get it since I already have 3d ultra mini golf from the arcade which was 800 points just wish they'd add avatar support to it. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who bought this game..oh well
I have 3d Ultra Mini Golf and love it. I hook up with a long distance friend just to play this game from time to time. We even have the extra DD content for it, very fun game.