Insomniac Community Manager reflects on fans' reactions to Resistance 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Insomniac Community Manager reflects on fans' reactions to Resistance 2

It's nice to see not all developers act blind to their fans while centering solely on metacritic scores. I'd love to hear a similar admission from R* about GTA IV, for example (that, despite the stratospheric scores, the game disappointed many fans).

This guy says that he gets the feeling from Resistance fans that Resistance 2 was a "failure" or "disappointment," and that it hurts. Hopefully, this will turn into a more inspired Resistance 3.

Unfortunately, the whole interview the guy had with Videogamer is not posted, but there are many choice quotes.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/insom...a_failure.html

Quote:
Hardcore Resistance fans believe PS3 exclusive first-person shooter Resistance 2 "was a failure", according to developer Insomniac.

That's the stark admission from senior community manager James Stevenson, who told VideoGamer.com in a wide-ranging interview that long term fan feedback "weighed" on him.

Resistance 2, released in November 2008, managed impressive review scores. Tom gave it an 8/10 in his review, calling it "a solid FPS, with moments of brilliance and some top notch multiplayer modes". At the time of writing, the game's sitting pretty on an 87 Metacritic score.

For Insomniac, however, negative fan feedback suggested Resistance 2 didn't turn out as good as the US developer had hoped.

"Resistance 2 got better reviews than Resistance 1," said Stevenson. "But the long term fan feedback from that game weighed on me.

"The hardcore fans of Resistance 1 were maybe a little bit disappointed. Those folks consistently expressing that - especially GAF [NeoGAF] - it was like your dog turned on you," Stevenson explained.

"That's the feeling of it. You had this dog that loved you. You loved the dog, too, but they expressed all this affection for you. And then suddenly the dog bites your hand and it's that feeling of, ooh, ow, that really hurts.

"The critics loved Resistance 2. Some people didn't like it, but for the most part… And the Metacritic's higher than Resistance 1. So we got better reviews than Resistance 1, but the overall opinion of it is that it was a failure by fans, that Resistance 2 was a failure, because maybe the expectations were so high for it.

"But that weights on you more. We talk to journalists a lot but we deal with our fans every day - and when they are disappointed… Reviewers are playing lots of games. They're supposed to be critical.

"But the people who put their money down on our game, want to see our game be good and want to invest months of their time into our game, spend months of their time leading up to our game watching videos, reading about it, sending us questions, listening to our podcasts, investing hours and hours and being excited for our game, if they're disappointed then it hurts more than some reviewer being pissy about a game and giving it a seven, well, okay, whatever. I can move on from that. I can ignore that. But fans that are genuinely disappointed are a lot harder to cope with."
Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM

It's funny, I haven't liked GTA is years. GTA 4 actually felt like a solid game, where as the others felt like hodge podge efforts to include everything under the sun, while in the end all controlling like ass.

I really enjoyed GTA 4. It felt like a real game.

Anyway, Resistance just sucks. I hope they stop making them.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 PM

San Andreas owned.

That is all.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Meh, I trudge through a bit and it felt vast, empty, and overall...too big. Not too mention it had the wonky controls that I hated.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Meh, I trudge through a bit and it felt vast, empty, and overall...too big. Not too mention it had the wonky controls that I hated.
Awesome game. I played it on PC, with keyboard/mouse for driving and foot controls, and gamepad for flying. I recommend playing it on PC. I think it's on Steam for cheap.

It wasn't empty at all. There was so much shit to do everywhere, even in the countryside outside the cities. Great story, hilarious characters, fantastic gameplay. The havoc one could wreak with planes and helicopter and parachutes... fantastic. One of the best games ever made.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
San Andreas starts off slow because of the RPG-lite elements they introduced but it really pays off if to stick with it for a while. It's a superior experience than GTA4 in almost every way, except graphics obviously.

On topic, it's nice to hear Insomniac saying this. I don't consider myself a big Resistance fan but I played through both campaigns and I enjoyed the first one a lot more. The changes in the sequel (2-weapon limit, regenerating health, proper cut-scenes instead of the third person narration etc.) sounded good on paper but cost the game its charm as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M. View Post
San Andreas starts off slow because of the RPG-lite elements they introduced but it really pays off if to stick with it for a while. It's a superior experience than GTA4 in almost every way, except graphics obviously.

On topic, it's nice to hear Insomniac saying this. I don't consider myself a big Resistance fan but I played through both campaigns and I enjoyed the first one a lot more. The changes in the sequel (2-weapon limit, regenerating health, proper cut-scenes instead of the third person narration etc.) sounded good on paper but cost the game its charm as far as I'm concerned.
I liked various things about 2, but the story wasn't one of them. The first one's story was way, way more involving than the second one. I did think the co-op mode was a wonderful addition to the game, and worked well. I can't say anything about the multiplayer as I never played it, but I didn't really didn't get the game for MP.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 PM

i hated resistance 2

the graphics were horrendous, and it felt way too buttery

it just wasn't fun.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM
HDD Contributor

I liked Resistance 2, but I felt there was a disconnect between the story of the first and the second. It didn't really feel like a continuation of the original plot so much as a separate tale taking place within the same world.

That and I have no idea what they're going to do for the plot in Resistance 3 considering how it all went down in Resistance 2.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 PM

They can start fixing things by not comparing their customers to dogs.