PS3 Slim is a classy rig. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Default PS3 Slim is a classy rig.

I purchased my original 60GB PS3 when MLB The Show 08 came out, and had it not been for The Show 08 I would have sold it almost instantly.

The controller (non dual shock) was way to light, the OS was cumbersome, firmware updates took anywhere from 3 to 6 hours, and any game update took so long it ruined the experience.

Yesterday, I picked up a new PS3 Slim with Uncharted 2. I don't want this to turn into a review for Uncharted 2, but all I can say is I'm speechless.

The matte finish on the new slim is top notch. No more greasy finger prints, or dust glaring back at you. The design is stellar, and being the xbox has the wireless adapter pointing up, I'll give the nod to the PS3 when it comes to design. Not to mention the power supply is built into the unit!

Dual Shock controller is a god send, I enjoy the added weight, and the rumble is spot on.

Finally my biggest gripe, the firmware updates. From start to finish it took around 15 minutes. Which is a huge upgrade from 3 to 6 hours. I'm not certain if the original networking hardware in the PS3 was junk, the software was broken, or the servers just didn't have the bandwidth. Either way Sony has corrected the problem, and I'm stoked.

Now, I just need more free time to play Uncharted
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Watcher of stances

moving to game room, please avoid smackdown replies
Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Um,
wont you have the same cumbersome OS & firmware update issues when you have to update the Slim? If the slim can now miraculously connect and download quickly maybe your first one had a bad wireless or poor relationship with the router as some linksys do.

And the power source was built in the original PHATT PS3 too. So I guess your point is it keeps that features compared to the Xbox.

I agree about the controller, it just too damned lite.

I disagree about the looks of the slim, I really like the fatty. It just seems classier.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Um,
wont you have the same cumbersome OS & firmware update issues when you have to update the Slim? If the slim can now miraculously connect and download quickly maybe your first one had a bad wireless or poor relationship with the router as some linksys do.

And the power source was built in the original PHATT PS3 too. So I guess your point is it keeps that features compared to the Xbox.

I disagree about the looks of the slim, I really like the fatty. It just seems classier.
I must concur with the Doctor here. I really enjoy the looks of the fat one. The Slim looks awful in my opinion. It's got that nice sheen that would look great in a home theater room. I disagree on the Slim, by contrast.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Um,

The first gen updates actually took longer to do for whatever reason (size, network traffic) it's been speed up in the last year though.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM

I think the bigger one looks far nicer. It actually looks like a piece of home theater equipment, the slim doesnt.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM

I thought the same about the slim til I bought one to replace my old fatty. It fits in much nicer with my stuff and looks better, more elegant perhaps, then fatty mcgee. I may also just be mad that fatty died on me.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM

Heh, I'm still kind of the opposite as far as controller lightness goes...having both an original six-axis and a DS3, I pretty much always use the lighter one unless a game seriously benefits from rumble.

Part of the purpose of a good user interface is to be as transparent/invisible to the user as possible...it baffles me why people think a heavier controller is better with that in mind hehe.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
Heh, I'm still kind of the opposite as far as controller lightness goes...having both an original six-axis and a DS3, I pretty much always use the lighter one unless a game seriously benefits from rumble.

Part of the purpose of a good user interface is to be as transparent/invisible to the user as possible...it baffles me why people think a heavier controller is better with that in mind hehe.
I like the added weight personally, the Sixaxis never felt right. In any case, Uncharted 2 is a game that is definitely meant to be played with rumble.

Firmware updates have indeed become less painful. It never took me 3 hours to do one (I would've downloaded the update on my PC in such a case) but the fact that you don't have to connect the controller cable anymore or the ability to have the PS3 shut itself down after updating have made a huge difference for me.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM

How is the new slim PS3 for BluRay movie playback? As good as a $300-$400 BluRay player ?